What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

neem soil drench??

vapor

Veteran
how long in flower do you use the soil drenches? wondering about neem taste in end flowers?

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Instead of spending so much on the Aza products you can make neem tea. Place 1 cup of neem cake into a 5 gallon compost tea brewer, and bubble for 36-48 hours.

Soil drench 3 times 3-4 days apart and everything in the root zone is out of there. Then soil drench once per week for maintenance.

If you want to foliar spray cut it in half with water. Then spray weekly.

Much cheaper.

This is what I'm interested in testing...

I used to advocate the use of Azamax and Azatrol... now people are talking about Aza-Sol. They all use "Azadirachtin" and I'm telling you now... that stuff is baaad news for cannabis.

There's a link in my sig that users of that stuff should read. It's taken me several years to figure out the issues that are connected with these products.

I'm also predicting a jump in ER and doctor visits within a few months of open commercial sales in Colorado. I don't know about other areas of Colorado... I do know that up here where I'm at, all the commercial meds are super-polluted with azadirachtin products.

Get a backache when you toke up? Your 'injury' hurt when you toke up? All over muscle tension? Have horribly painful clawing sensations on your right abdomen... pulling toward your spine?
Azadirachtin baby :dance013:

High level exposure will cause spontaneous vomiting and extremely intense pain from gas bubbles in your intestines. (I can see why mites don't want to eat after ingesting this stuff)

I've got to try this Neem cake soil drench on a plant... I'm hoping it's as benign as it should be and not at all like Azadirachtin.

Keep it Clean! :D

TheCleanGame

Veteran
GH2045 General Hydroponics said:
AzaMax comes in a 4 oz bottle and is designed for use as a insecticide spray. It is safe to use on plants from germination all the way through harvest time. AzaMax's active ingredient, Azadirachtin, is derived from naturally occurring neem trees. Whether you're having problems with bagworms, moths, caterpillars, or spider mites, AzaMax is one of the most effective products for fast, organic pest control.
This phrase on their labeling has ruined more cannabis and poisoned more people than I care to think about. I can taste and feel that stuff on my tongue after 70 days of flowering... Up till the day of harvest my ass. Well, yeah... for stuff like APPLES or CUCUMBERS or any other fruit/veggie that you can wash off and aren't going to smoke.

I used to tell people to use a 5ml/gal root drench or add to the res the first day of flower. That's bad advice... put a lot of people in hospital over the last few years.

Azadirachtin is bad news folks... learn it now or learn it later. Your choice.

The clean game

I think the topic is neem oil?

Unless you are responding to zepplen's post, which I doubt they will see since it's from a few years ago

Woop

TheCleanGame

Veteran
The clean game

I think the topic is neem oil?

Unless you are responding to zepplen's post, which I doubt they will see since it's from a few years ago

Woop
Yes, and Yes...

The issue of the extract is such that it's important to be listed in every thread where azamax, aza-sol, azatrol or any other azadirachtin product is mentioned.

I have yet to test neem itself since I gained the awareness of the beastliness of the extract. Hoping it's as benign as it should be...

ozzieAI

Veteran
I used to tell people to use a 5ml/gal root drench or add to the res the first day of flower. That's bad advice... put a lot of people in hospital over the last few years.

Azadirachtin is bad news folks... learn it now or learn it later. Your choice.

have you got any proof of this?

the only poisonings i have been able to find refer to the ingestion of neem oil, nothing at all referring to poisoning via plants/cannabis/fruit/vegetables....

can you please provide any evidence of your claims

The issue of the extract is such that it's important to be listed in every thread where azamax, aza-sol, azatrol or any other azadirachtin product is mentioned.

really? whilst i agree that some may have a reaction to aza there are a lot worse products being used in growing cannabis than neem...why not suggest warnings for all these as well?

I have yet to test neem itself since I gained the awareness of the beastliness of the extract. Hoping it's as benign as it should be...

as the original source of aza why should this be different?

supermanlives

Veteran
haven't had one issue with azamax . not one single issue. but I use it mostly in veg very rarely in flower and even then in the first week or so. if there was any issues I think someone would of told me.i get feedback from all my medical friends

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I tried this technique over four cycles it quite possibly worked to reduce spider mites and certainly didn't seem to harm plants, against insects it doesn't work overnight, so stick with it for a while!

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
where is a good place to purchase pure neem oil? i want to use it as a preventative for bugs,fungas gnats, and other things suggested like botryitus as a prevention along with greencure following silverbacks recipe and im also gonna get some actinvate just in case i see some budrot like after week5 of flowering..i lost alot to mold this year being one the wettest years we have had in the last 10 yr..and along with all the prevention measures i will be taken next year,i will be running outdoor strains like serious-6,biddy early,early skunk,green posion and frisien dew to just name a few for my guerilla grow which is alot differnt then growing in my backyard

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
good info in this thread

i use neem for foliar and as a drench-same dilution for both, 5ml/L with a drop of detergent/wetting agent. As for how often to appy: I used it 2-3times a week when watering everyday for a few weeks in veg-then re-apply if any beasties were spotted during the grow

as an experiment once i massivily overdosed a few small plants with a root drench and saw no ill effects at all

overdoseing with foliar is not a good idea

eddieS
My experience has been the opposite. 15ml/gallon with 5ml dawn coated and choked out my roots. Stunted my plants, caused new growth to come in so thin and spindly the leaves were like pins. It looked like nitrogen tox only the leaves curled in not down if that makes sense. Pure cold pressed neem is effective and invaluable, but can be overdone

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Instead of spending so much on the Aza products you can make neem tea. Place 1 cup of neem cake into a 5 gallon compost tea brewer, and bubble for 36-48 hours.

Soil drench 3 times 3-4 days apart and everything in the root zone is out of there. Then soil drench once per week for maintenance.

If you want to foliar spray cut it in half with water. Then spray weekly.

Much cheaper.

Neem cake averages 700ppm (1 2 3) azadirachtin. At 50ml (30g) cake per gallon (g/ml from GC) of solution, azadirachtin is 21mg per gallon. Keeping playing with the math, that's 5.5 mg per litre or 5.5ppm.

$5 bucks a pound, 1.1c a gram, 33c a gallon to mix. Cheap right?

Azamax ($100 per litre, 12000ppm) soil drench solution (1-2tbsp per gallon) or ($1-3 per gallon) for 46.5 - 93ppm

Neem cake soil drench solution would cost $2.80 - 5.60 per gallon to reach equivalent concentration, and I can only assuming, killing any plant applied to. Much cheaper. Right?

Now neem oil ($40 a litre, 3000ppm)

5ml/L (76c a gallon of solution) gives 15ppm azadirachtin ($2.40 - 4.80 a gallon equivalent concentration)

To my mind, for killing power and price, I would use Azamax or similar. The draw back, and this is an assumption, is the loss of nimbin, salanin, and other compounds found in quality neem oil. If I wanted to spend more time and money, I would use neem cake tea to get the same results, meanwhile, throwing God knows how many nutrients at the plant.

Edit: Assuming GH and others are using a refined azadirachtin extract (link), salanin, nimbin, et al. are present.

Last edited:

DONAJTHEIII

My experience has been the opposite. 15ml/gallon with 5ml dawn coated and choked out my roots. Stunted my plants, caused new growth to come in so thin and spindly the leaves were like pins. It looked like nitrogen tox only the leaves curled in not down if that makes sense. Pure cold pressed neem is effective and invaluable, but can be overdone

15ml is alot of neem oil. Dont need that much at all especially if your using it as a preventative.

If you follow most dosages on the bottles cannabis does like it too much I noticed like many people says they get the choking effect.

I would do azamax drenches at 2-5ml max for preventative measures. For neem drenches def wouldnt go above 5ml a gal either also I would only do a drop of soap with my mix 5 ml seems like a alot never heard of that much needed for a wetting agent.

Azamax always does less damage than neem oil for me personally but at low dosages neither should be too bad.

AJAE

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Yup I've found 5ml neem and 5ml of oil for a wetting agent works good, a teaspoon of oil doesn't seem to be choking as bad as the same amount of dishsoap

Latest posts

Latest posts