What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cardboard Box Grow

T

TrichyTrichy

That is ingenious! Could you fit one of those 5 in. fans somewhere? It would help them a lot.

Last edited:

I Grow My Smoke

I have one of those "High Velocity fans from walmart that i could put somewhere but to be honest the computer fans are fine. its about 77 in the box.

White

Bro, I seriously hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no one else is. Trust me, I aint hatin.

But this is a fire hazard. And it looks like your lights are too close to the pots and the pots are too big for the box (plants would grow too high, if the box doesn't catch on fire before they grow that tall)

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. But I think it would be more discouraging to go through with this and not get what you expected.

Here's my advice:

Scrounge up some plywood and 2x4's and build a box. All you need is a hammer, some nails and a saw. Or just find a cabinet/dresser/armoir/etc and modify it.

Lights look fine, keep 'em... Just move them up higher (make a taller box too, at least 3 ft)

That's it. If you can get some seeds from a seed bank, that's excellent. If you can get some better soil (check the organics section here) that's great too.

Good luck man. I wish you the best. See you around.

Peace,
White

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
This is kinda like your son being sent home early for kicking the crap out of the school bully. It's not behavior you can condone but, damn if you're not proud.

I vote with both Trichy and White; It's ingenious and a death trap. Now what would you pay?

White

Good to see you up so late FreezerBoy. Glad I'm not the only one.

As I said, I wasn't being mean or hatin on I Grow My Smoke. I just wanted to warn him before he burnt his parents house down.

Again, good luck.

Peace,
White

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Not sure I would call it a death trap, but I do wonder what the point is when Masonite, paneling and other thin, but very strong materials are available for this and much more fireproof.

kish

:yoinks:

These type of grows make me very nervous!
I have seen a couple of ppl grow with cardboard..and have seen a burnt box too!

I Grow My Smoke, check my thread for one alternative to using cardboard in this size grow.

Be Safe!

I Grow My Smoke

wow im really surprised to hear this. i have this on another forum and not 1 person said it was a fire hazard.

the box is aleays at 77 degrees. when i put my hand up to the light it is not hot at all. i can put it as close as i want and i feel no heat. only if i touch the blub is it hot. none of the bulbs are even close to the sides of the cardboard. i plan on getting smaller pots. and if the plants do get tall or anything i can always reposition the lights because its just cardboard.

if you still think this is dangerous then im seriously going to take it down. the thing is i really am broke right now and have no money for wood or anything. i might be able to do a Rubbermaid grow.

thanks for the responses.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd definatly go with a rubbermaid. But if there is a local dump or trash deposit close by you can bet you will be able to find something there you can modify, for free. Depending on how much pride you have of course.

Last edited:

kish

I'd definatly go with a rubbermaid. But if there is a local dump or trash deposit close by you can bet you will be able to find something there you can modify, for free. Depending on how much pride you have of course.

Yeah, if you're broke, i'd definitely go with that idea.
Just remember to scrub the hell outta whatever you pull from any dumpsters.
Other than that, i say go for it..

Also, like i said before...i've seen some cardboard box grows, but i wouldn't advise it.

j.guit.err

Hey man, you've got the right idea, it's just that electricity, heat, and cardboard don't mix. I am broke as hell too, but I managed to build my box out of wood that I found. I used some supplies like caulk, nails, and tools when I was at my brothers place for a week. I went ahead and made the cuts for the fan which I couldn't afford yet, and then I just bought it when I could afford it. All it takes is some ingenuity and looking around. I'd say my box cost my $40, and the fan was $35 of it. Here it is for some ideas.

picture.php

I Grow My Smoke

as far as painting the inside goes do you need a special paint that doesnt have toxic fumes or something?

i have some black paint already but im just going to get 2 rubbermaids and a can of white spray paint.

j.guit.err

Don't go with spray paint if possible. I tried that first and it took forever and didn't work well. Get some flat white generic paint and use a brush, you'll be much happier.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most of the "toxic fumes" or VOC's come from an oil base such as spraypaint. I'd go with latex if possible. You can pretty much scrounge a whole grow setup with some ingenuity. Go to your local paint store and look in the dumpster behind it. There you will find some paint depending on how bad the EPA has clamped down in your area.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Get an old mini fridge and gut it. There's millions of those things around every year. The college kids leave them behind after the semester is over because they are spoiled and wasteful. These would make a great cabinet for a project this size.

White

Man, this thread blew up since last night :) Must be the WhitexFreezer effect. Oh, that just gave me an idea for a strain :)

It's cool that you are open I Grow My Smoke. If no one told you that before (fire hazard deathtrap) then they're hosing you.

As was mentioned, you can scrounge anything you can imagine. I mean, I got my cabs for free. They were nice to begin with, but with some paint on the outside, man they're great.

I'm just saying, money shouldn't be an obstacle If you put your creativity to it. Whatever you decide works for you will be great. And we'll be here with any advice you need.

Best of luck to you.

Peace,
White