What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

brown spots on fan leaves. why?

Unagi

Helyo icmag! I stumbled inside my tent today and i found these brown spots on the fan leaves. Im growing in soil using a 250w 6500k cfl with a computer fan blowing on it. I have an oscillating fan moving the air around in the tent. I have a 150 cfm exhaust fan moving hot air out and i have an intake for fresh air from another room.

What is causing this?

Unagi

i have checked under them, and with my human eye i cannot spy any little creatures. Athough we basically live inside the forrest, i dont see them :p

So you think its mold? or some type of fungus?

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Edges of hte leaves are damaged from Physical Contact. When your fan is too strong, the leaves will become damaged around the edges.

You either had a small infected area on the leaf that it naturally quarantined by killing off the cells around the infection, not allowing it to spread, and over time resulting in a brown spot, and HOLE eventually as the dead leaf tissue disperses.

It looks to me like the symptoms of physical damage.

I would not worry about this at all.

I too at the beginning would freak out thinking I had problems with my plants, but the leaves get damaged, and with time and practice you will be able to determine the proper methods to avoid the damage and or to identify the damage compared to things like deficiencies, disease and pest related attacks.

The plant is healthy and happy, you just need to pay attention to details on how you work in the garden, so you can remember when you say dropped water on a plant and then later it has a brown spot, or say you dropped something or rubbed by a plant rough, check it out in a few days, you'll see dead leaf tissue along hte edges and in places, some times in spots on the leaves you would of neveri magined.

Your plant is healthy and fine and that you should take a few moments to research the differences between deficiencies which will give you a clear understanding of this situation.

Smoke a bowl buddy and sit back and share the love with your plants!

Good vibes and Green Blessings

Namaste

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you checked under the fan leaves for bugs? If you haven't done any preventative sprays you should.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=184996
Hopefully it doesn't progress into this^

Worst advice on earth.

DON'T SPRAY SHIT.

Prevention through cleanliness.

If you had bugs, the damage on your leaves, resembles Thrips.

BUT you would notice the little White Thrip Larvae on top of hte leaves, and you would have more damage on more leaves and you would have way more holes in the leaves and weird patterned damage, from where the larvae ate the tissue.

PLEASE don't spray anything unless you are 100% sure you need too, and it shouldn't be anything more than NEEM oil.

If you need help and want to garden with the highest quality standards, i'll be happy to help you and guide you on a path that is healthy for you and your plants, cheaper than peoples traditional bullshit, like spraying 50$ bottle of poison, and more rewarding, spiritually, not just financially. Basically i can help you grow happy healthy high quality yielding plants, and it would be my pleasure ot bestow upon you the power to heal yourself!

Good vibes and green blessings

I would agree that it looks like physical damage, perhaps the fan is too strong (should not be directly on the plants) when you close the door to the tent and the wind is different than when you have the door open? If you wanted to try an additive, perhaps some silica would help in the future to make the cell walls stronger.

Unagi

Thank you for the advice and information. I will put a notebook in the tent wich I can write down every thing that happens in there.

That's the best way to do it! Keeping logs and then reviewing the data to see what your changes resulted in. Be sure to keep a "notes" section and describe the changes, not just taking down readings of ppm, pH, etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts