What's new

Finishing seeds under 24 hours light

G

I’ve got some plants that need to be harvested, but the seeds are at least two weeks out from being mature.
Is it possible to harvest portions of the plant, and then move the remaining pot to finish under 24 hours of light?

Sconeofark

Two weeks should be no problem at all.

I've done it, should be fine so long as the plant is well into flower before you take it out.

In fact I'm doing it now

This is on the kitchen floor after some pollening last weekend.

Good n Preggers that

At this point in flower I can leave this out here in a random non 12 light cycle even up to 24 and it will still end in a pile of seeds. It is better to finish em under a bright light in flower but they'll still finish into seed so long as the plant is fully into flower.

It helps if the light is not too bright, you don't want to Make it reveg.

GoatCheese

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]It's not a good idea to cause extra stress for the plant while the seeds are developing. Sure, cannabis can take alot of abuse and you will end up with a good amount of seeds, but it still isn't a good idea to mess with the plants too much while the seeds are maturing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If the seeds are important to you, i'd flower them longer in 12/12 till the seeds are ready.[/FONT]

G

I could finish them off in the drying tent with 12 hours on 12 hours off.
But I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, as I need to re-veg these plants as well. The seed maturation is well underway and hoped I could glide for the remaining time on a 24 hour light cycle.
I need them out of the flowering room, but will let them go for a bit longer before I make the transition to the 24 hour light cycle.
I’ll take the advice though and keep them under relatively low light.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Low light gives the plant much less energy to contribute to the development of the seeds.

It sounds like you are just hearing what you want to hear.

If you want more fully developed seeds don't cut corners.

If you cut corners don't be surprised if you don't end up with mature seeds or a vigorous revegged mother...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Hormones are vital and light sensitive.

It sounds like you should just be posting about research in progress instead of asking for advice...

:2cents:

Sconeofark

I'm not advising cutting corners, it's just that in a post prohibition world we still have lots of restrictions to deal with. That is why we sometimes have to choose between cutting a few corners or simply giving up.

I am saying it will work if you are stuck and have to finish the seed mother outside flower. I do it all the time. When I make seed I make hundreds of em so any loss can be absorbed. Also it's vital to finding the best plants to have somewhere to look for them.

Prohibition has us doing lots of things wrong.

For instance we buy seed mostly in packs of ten while all other plant seed is sold by weight. Moving forward as federal prohibition ends and the U.S. gets off everyone's neck about it, we will be able to make and buy seed in bulk.

This and permission to run vast numbers of plants is what it is going to take to breed this plant to any effect.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
MindEater Recently posted the best breakthrough of 2019 was that males keep making pollen when re-vegged 18/6. Girls don't keep flowering. Seeds? I'm not totally surprised by Stoneofark's post, but strong within me is the caution. We should really for certain though. It's important

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
You never cease to make me smile
What can I say? Even in the land of the midnight sun, the sun doesn't shine 24hrs a day! Seeding is the natural process of a dying plant to reproduce. All this is triggered by temp and available light, since plants don't wear watches nor own a calendar.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I posted this on 2/27 in Douglas' 2019 What Do You See as the Most Advanced Discoveries in Cannabis Cultivation? thread.

Making seeds in Veg:

Well I revegged some clones from late flower, as they cme out of it each branch at each node has like 1 calyx with pistils, kind of growing like preflowers would on a long vegged and mature plant.

So I thought maybe I can make some beans while they are in veg, kill 2 birds with one stone kinda heh. Ill post pics as it goes, looks like some of the pistils have shriveled, I wonder if I can get viable seeds this way, anyone else ever tried it?

yes I have I posted about it several times way back on og and here. plants that preflower heavily can be pollinated in veg and grow seeds.i have done this several times and grew out the seeds. no different than normal ones.i discovered this in the og days by accident. nobody seemed to care when I posted. for me it was interesting and a good way to make some seeds without messing with the flower area.seeds will def form and grow in veg area.you don't need 12/12, I have done it with 3 diff strains and it worked each time.

Superman is 100% correct. Preflowers can be pollinated in veg and will produce a single seed per preflower. Also, that seed will be a big, fat one. Ever find a seed that's much bigger than the others? Likely a seeded preflower

A preflower can be pollinated and grow a seed. Ive done it to make a few beans.

Even the preflowers in veg can be hand pollinated while in 24/0 and create a seed. As long as there is a calyx with 2 white hairs in it, it can be seeded at any time. The plant doesnt need the hormones to grow a preflower calyx or a seed. It needs the hormones to grow flowers.

burmese

seeds are mostly better developed,,, and also that swollen ripe plant material from buds is better smoke on vegetation sometimes

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm interested in the point at which one could interrupt flowering and still get viable seed.

Part of me wonders if an extended light cycle would ripen the seed faster.

Part of me thinks hormones would become unbalanced and possibly abort them if the cycle was interrupted just after pollination.

I'm curious of your results.

GoatCheese

Veteran
You can make seeds completely in veg-light cycle. Ofcourse you won't get many seeds cause there aren't proper flowers on the females, but you can pollinate the pistils of preflowers on vegging females and get few viable seeds
I made few seeds this way and the seeds germinated ..i haven't flowered these plants yet, but i still have them. ..one of these days
[FONT=&quot]Making seeds in veg-cycle[/FONT]
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=347600

picture.php

Cmoon

You can make seeds completely in veg-light cycle. Ofcourse you won't get many seeds cause there aren't proper flowers on the females, but you can pollinate the pistils of preflowers on vegging females and get few viable seeds
I made few seeds this way and the seeds germinated ..i haven't flowered these plants yet, but i still have them. ..one of these days
[FONT=&quot]Making seeds in veg-cycle[/FONT]
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=347600

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67615&pictureid=1801158View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67615&pictureid=1801160View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67615&pictureid=1821887View Image

View Image

ffs, how come ive never come across this in 20 year:tiphat:

karma to you man, my whole season just changed:dance013: