What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why doesn't Ace do any Hawaiian cultivars?

kalopatchkid

Veteran
As far as Hawaii growing year-round, it's not that simple.
yes, It is actually that simple. Most people have something in flower 365 days a year.

There are strains which don't do well there at any time of year in any of their microenvironments.
Please name a few and does this opinion come from personal experience growing in the Islands? I'm curious what you think cannot be grown here.

Last edited:
G

Gauss

yes, It is actually that simple. Most people have something in flower 365 days a year.

Please name a few and does this opinion come from personal experience growing in the Islands? I'm curious what you think cannot be grown here.

You didn't understand what I said, and I'm not going to go over it again with you directly since honestly I find you argumentative and purposely dim pretty much constantly. People like you and Tony are a cancer to this site where people with polite counter-culture spirits and/or medical needs used to come here with honest questions and a will to learn, it was pleasant.

And stop grilling people on their credentials, you're acting like I'm forcing my opinion down your throat, which if you choose to read back I obviously never intended. Of all the Hawaiin growers I know, they all hate Hawaii for growing cannabis. Perhaps you're choking on your own pride, and that is why I choose not to know you specifically. I'm out this thread.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
You didn't understand what I said, and I'm not going to go over it again with you directly since honestly I find you argumentative and purposely dim pretty much constantly. People like you and Tony are a cancer to this site where people with polite counter-culture spirits and/or medical needs used to come here with honest questions and a will to learn, it was pleasant.
Well, Looks like your politeness got you removed from the forum.

Of all the Hawaiin growers I know, they all hate Hawaii for growing cannabis.
Not that I care, but perhaps this is the reason you couldnt find good weed in Hawaii. Its like eating the same dish prepared by a cook that hates his job vs. a chef that takes pride in their work.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Re: Maui Wowie,

Its the Hawaiian sativa crossed to an afghan.
Same story as NL, but different parental selections.
NL used a more Swazi/Thai Hawaiian, Wowie used a more Mexican Hawaiian.

Wowie has long hairs that are a real vibrant orange.
If you cross it to Big Bud, you have Beasters.

For as much indica there is in Wowie, its still very functional - if you need it. Otherwise, its euphoric and relaxing

As far as Kentucky, yes, some of the best.
For as much as the people online argue over the varipis regions, they were all connected. People in CO sent shit to KY, CA to HI, etc. Small world

oldhaole

Veteran
Re: Maui Wowie,

Its the Hawaiian sativa crossed to an afghan.
Same story as NL, but different parental selections.
NL used a more Swazi/Thai Hawaiian, Wowie used a more Mexican Hawaiian.

Wowie has long hairs that are a real vibrant orange.
If you cross it to Big Bud, you have Beasters.

For as much indica there is in Wowie, its still very functional - if you need it. Otherwise, its euphoric and relaxing

As far as Kentucky, yes, some of the best.
For as much as the people online argue over the varipis regions, they were all connected. People in CO sent shit to KY, CA to HI, etc. Small world

Huh?

Let's try this again.... though I don't know why I waste my time.

Maui Wowie does not exist. Never did. No matter what the "experts" say.... there is not one single strain that you can point to and say this is Maui Wowie.

Again, Maui Wowie is what you on the Mainland call weed from Maui. I've lived here 50+ years and been in the business since the late '70's and I have yet to see anyone local try to sell someone a bag of Maui Wowie. That's not the way we do things. Strains have names. We use them.... it's just that simple.

Sure, when we go out, go down to the beach, we'll spark a fattie or two and tourists will ask us to sell them some "Maui Wowie". After we get done laughing we explain that there is no such animal as Maui Wowie, but we are currently smoking some whatever the strain is called and they are welcome to try it. Oddly enough they get it. It's not rocket science.

One reason why Maui Wowie can not be defined is this; Two identical clones. Take one and plant it up in the jungle. Take the other and plant it leeward, down in Kihei where it never rains. Keep the strain alive by cut for 10 years. Since a plant put into the sun at anytime here will immediately flower that will add up to at least 30 generations. At the end of the decade that single strain grown in the jungle will be noticeably different from it's dry land brother. Should the strain we are talking about be the illusive, omnipotent Maui Wowie you guys love to describe to us, this now brings us to the question....

Which one is Real? Since they don't look alike which one get's the title? And is the other one Maui Wowie too, or is that called the Red Headed Stepchild We Love to Beat? They don't look alike.... Houston, we have a problem.....

The islands of Hawaii are a thousand miles closer to the equator than any other part of the continental US. Kentucky included. This gives us a very unique photoperiod. Unlike most of the US year round harvests are easily done. In this roughly 500 sq mile island are more separate Eco-systems than the entire bottom 49 states put together. Until you can physically move your grow a thousand miles due South and have your choice of literally every successful eco-system at your fingertips to plant in, you will not be able to duplicate what we do here.

dugzy

Good reading oldhaole, if i ever visit Hawaii you have set me straight which may save a little embarrassment.

I wonder how many people got pulled in over the years due to a catchy or a fancy name? Know i did more than a few times.

There is power in myths and legends which is good and romantic but often no relevance to reality.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Huh?

Let's try this again.... though I don't know why I waste my time.

Maui Wowie does not exist. Never did. No matter what the "experts" say.... there is not one single strain that you can point to and say this is Maui Wowie.

Again, Maui Wowie is what you on the Mainland call weed from Maui. I've lived here 50+ years and been in the business since the late '70's and I have yet to see anyone local try to sell someone a bag of Maui Wowie. That's not the way we do things. Strains have names. We use them.... it's just that simple.

Sure, when we go out, go down to the beach, we'll spark a fattie or two and tourists will ask us to sell them some "Maui Wowie". After we get done laughing we explain that there is no such animal as Maui Wowie, but we are currently smoking some whatever the strain is called and they are welcome to try it. Oddly enough they get it. It's not rocket science.

One reason why Maui Wowie can not be defined is this; Two identical clones. Take one and plant it up in the jungle. Take the other and plant it leeward, down in Kihei where it never rains. Keep the strain alive by cut for 10 years. Since a plant put into the sun at anytime here will immediately flower that will add up to at least 30 generations. At the end of the decade that single strain grown in the jungle will be noticeably different from it's dry land brother. Should the strain we are talking about be the illusive, omnipotent Maui Wowie you guys love to describe to us, this now brings us to the question....

Which one is Real? Since they don't look alike which one get's the title? And is the other one Maui Wowie too, or is that called the Red Headed Stepchild We Love to Beat? They don't look alike.... Houston, we have a problem.....

The islands of Hawaii are a thousand miles closer to the equator than any other part of the continental US. Kentucky included. This gives us a very unique photoperiod. Unlike most of the US year round harvests are easily done. In this roughly 500 sq mile island are more separate Eco-systems than the entire bottom 49 states put together. Until you can physically move your grow a thousand miles due South and have your choice of literally every successful eco-system at your fingertips to plant in, you will not be able to duplicate what we do here.

You missed that I didnt call it mauie wowie. I called it Wowie.

Ive seen you around other threads trying to argue with anyone who posts anything about Hawaii and you dont stop til the thread has to be closed or mods delete pages of toxic comments.

Were you in tye Brotherhood?
Ive met plenty of 30-40yr grow veterans who still cant do anything if they dont have their miracle.grow
Time does not always equate to skill or wisdom.

I still trust the Brotherhood people I talk to. Because, well, they literally ran all that shit on the Islands. They are the ones who traveled to source the genetics, traveled everywhere to breed them, did the smuggling, and set up distribution metworks, which included naming the strains for varipus locations.

So, while you may have called it one thing, that samenstrain ends up in NYC being called Wowie. Of course, capitalism did take over and catchy names did get stamped on all sorts of product. That doesnt mean that at one time the one line did have a name.

I trust the old Brotherhood members who refuse to go on forums over forum members who sideline threads just because Hawaii strains were mentioned.

Be well

SurfdOut

Veteran
The BOEL boys for sure had a big influence in Hawaii but they weren't the only ones propagating cannabis in Hawaii. The islands are filled with vets, surfers and hippies that have made parallel life choices as BOEL and been growing just as hard underground.

DenverJim

Plant book about Hawaii 1960

Plant book about Hawaii 1960

A friend of mine who lived in HI for decades has a book on Hawaii plants this Book was printed in 1960.
The author mentions cannabis after saying its a illegal drug. She mentioned it was very potent. So how did she know?
Who decided how long it takes for a strain to adapt to a climate? What are the criteria ? Is Skunk #1 a California landrace?
My 2 cents.