What's new

Nematodes eating my roots

SecondAttempt

https://youtu.be/kHQGTShVWLo

Found this last night... need a quick knockdown until I can order predator nematodes... any ideas? I might be able to source Monterey Nemotode Control locally... other than that should I hit them with real strong Azamax or maybe bleach... Help!!!

SecondAttempt

Here’s another video... shit makes my skin crawl... just thought I had gnats... but a few plants are deteriorating pretty bad.

https://youtu.be/IUz9xRM8Gx4

SecondAttempt

Well the plants are teens in clear cups so I noticed brown roots and unhappy plants.. droopy, brittle leaves.. stalled growth, yellowed upper foliage. There is older growth still that looks fine.

unnamedmike

I recently fought the nematodes. Oxygenated water will help you with infections caused by nematodes digging the roots. Do large plants have galls or knots on the roots?
It is very difficult to eliminate the nematodes once they are inside the plant, the nematicides are very toxic, not suitable for domestic use.
The young plants i dont see salvation for them, my advice is fire and start again, if the plants are enough big you can take cuttings but ... where did those nematodes come from? to never infect anything again. After lose 3 keepers and 40 seedlings now i steam boil all the new cococoir.

Best of lucks :tiphat:

h1ghway

Well the plants are teens in clear cups so I noticed brown roots and unhappy plants.. droopy, brittle leaves.. stalled growth, yellowed upper foliage. There is older growth still that looks fine.

Thanks, was trying to rule out a problem im dealing.
Lets us know if the H2o2 worked for you man! good luck

SecondAttempt

Not sure where they came from... my best guess is coco that was hydrated months ago and just now being used... but I don’t see them in all plants.. I’m hoping I caught them before they got “into” the plants.. I’ve also read not all migrate in.. No knots, think I found them early... gonna overnight an overwhelming force of SF nematodes first thing tomorrow morning.

SecondAttempt

Maybe they came in with fungus gnats. The plants hit the hardest have no gnat nix... I ran out before getting to them. I just don’t understand how there is so many.

SecondAttempt

H2O2 seems to have knocked them down... or they migrated deeper into the rootball or into the roots themselves I which case I guess I am truly fucked.

webwiller

https://youtu.be/BDFXbzJYX-U

Now I found these doing a potato test... anybody cares to ID?

Sorry if I ask...but what microscope did ya use? I'm not sure I understood, the potato test is done attracting the nematodes to the potato slice and then looking it through a microscope?!

Sorry, I haven't had the pleasure, so I can't introduce you to them...sure enough, if you wanna win this war you gotta combat and win few battles, with the right weaponry and in the right times in order to break the reproductive cycle.

Observing your rots at microscope you should be able to deduct the species from their appearance and behavior in/on roots. I'd have gone with H2O2 too, wd!

Another trick is to steep 40 cigarettes into 3gal of water overnight. Filter and water them with this potion. Leave acting 15 mins and then flush with plenty of plain water.

I'd use both techniques as not every nemas species aren't sensitive to the same chemicals and using both h2o2 and nicotine & co. would greatly increase your chances.

Once finished with disinfestation, it's time to invade with beneficial nematodes, so that you don't kill 'em too with poisons and they'll find a very weak population, easy to attack and overcome.

If it goes wrong, throw away all medium and bleach EVERYTHING, from pots to sterilize new medium, working tools, tanks, EVERY-F++++-TINY-LITTLE-CRAP!

Sure is that you don't wanna see them next grow for sure!!!

GL!
:tiphat:

SecondAttempt

Used this little scope attached to my iPhone.. can be found on amazon.. some plants are doing fine some are surely fucked.. grow has been neglected for a long time. I think I may have had these awhile and they’ve been in my cuttings.. my clone success rate has been dreadful so the few clones that take are harboring these bastards and their eggs... they get into coco and hatch just prolonging the bullshit, and making their way into the next round.

Attachments

• 4DEBB1C4-5EBB-4AB4-A39D-C1155CFBF2F4.jpg
    4DEBB1C4-5EBB-4AB4-A39D-C1155CFBF2F4.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 22

webwiller

Used this little scope attached to my iPhone.. can be found on amazon.. some plants are doing fine some are surely fucked.. grow has been neglected for a long time. I think I may have had these awhile and they’ve been in my cuttings.. my clone success rate has been dreadful so the few clones that take are harboring these bastards and their eggs... they get into coco and hatch just prolonging the bullshit, and making their way into the next round.

Thanks for the scope...

H2O2 should work but go for 2-3 treatments in 10 days time, just to try and avoid that eggs survive H2O2. In case they do, with time they get to larvae and you'll go with one more H2O2 bath. With luck, you might save the best plants at least.

Depending on how much you care...a total clean up, sterilization and back from stage 0 would give you a clean startup!

Good Luck!
:tiphat:

unnamedmike

My nematodes or root mites never has passed from the roots in my case. If they are plants of much value to you, grow them and cut cuttings, then root the cuttings in sterilized substrate, nematodes dont climb, do you know how your plants were infected? h2o2 help so good with nematode scars and root rot, but i dont thing that kill any nematodes, nematodes are F***G aliens

unnamedmike

I wish I knew how to Id these little buggies! If it was me I'd look for an agriculture faculty at a Uni close to home and I'd go ask there some Agri-nerd...

Can't see an easier way...But it'll make your day since from now on you'll recognize these little bitches!
:woohoo:
They look like some kind of mites.

My root mites...
picture.php

picture.php