What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dual Wattage 400/600w Digital Ballasts....any info?...anyone using one?

Esskie

Hi there,
Anyone using or have any experience with these dual wattage digital ballasts at all?......the ones I've seen are 400w/600w switchable........sorry, dunno any brands?

can they run both MH and HPS bulbs or not is something I'd be interested to know?

If they are ok and not just cheap garbage then vegging with 400w (a 400w MH bulb if they can do MH too ) and switching to 600w for flowering would be handy for saving a little power.......400w would be more than adequate for my vegging needs as they'd be in a BudBox then the 600w for bloom would be like my own 33% version of Lumatek's Boost switch :biggrin:

only seen em in stock at a couple of places other than fleabay though so am reluctant to buy one from there :noway:

we have bought stuff from that site tbh with no probz but at least with an actual shop will be more likely to replace it if it stopped working after a month for example but you'd be hard pushed getting your $$ back after that long from the auction site

Any info or opinions about these ballasts folks?, wanna share?

Take care & regards, Esskie

madpenguin

Lumatek

Lumatek

lumatek-full.jpg

I actually kinda want one now. It's too bad they deal with hydrofarm connections and not sunlight supply. So I guess I'll stick with my much loved Galaxies.

Esskie

now that you've showed me that & I know Lumatek make them I want one now for sure too :biggrin:
It's too bad they deal with hydrofarm connections and not sunlight supply.
are you referring to the IEC connectors or stockists?

look here at the adapters, I'm sure they could be got in the UK?

know any good prices man?

madpenguin

Hey... Now that's cool. Of course someone has to make those. Here I was thinking you'd have to snip your sunlight supply lamp cords and wire them up to mate with hydrofarm receptacles.

I

Iron_Lion

I have the new lumatek 360, 400, 600, 660 watt selectable ballast. It uses a 600 watt bulb and the directions say DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT 600 WATT BULB.

This ballast will reduce wattage out put, but it should be noted that this does not lower power consumption. Essentially you will be consuming the power of a 600 watt ballast to produce 360 watts.

The dimmable feature is cool, but I dont think it really serves much purpose aside from super lumens.

Esskie

I have the new lumatek 360, 400, 600, 660 watt selectable ballast. It uses a 600 watt bulb and the directions say DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT 600 WATT BULB.

This ballast will reduce wattage out put, but it should be noted that this does not lower power consumption. Essentially you will be consuming the power of a 600 watt ballast to produce 360 watts.

The dimmable feature is cool, but I dont think it really serves much purpose aside from super lumens.

Well that's certainly changed my outlook on it, big thanks for sharing that info with us Iron_Lion :respect:

I'd originally thought about the benefit of saving power in veg with a 400w bulb & then changing to a 600w for flowering for example but it seems that's not the case :puppydoge

All the switch is is just a variable resistor to limit the already generated power to the bulb........a bit like squeezing a hose-pipe as they say

Now if only someone would make a ballast that could run both 400 & 600 watt bulbs :thinking:, that'd be clever

booghy

Nextgen.........runs 400 or 600 and both MH and HPS. And has universal plugs to fit all reflectors.

I

Iron_Lion

lumatek-full.jpg

Just below those purple pictures of the ballasts dimmers,reads
Powers: 250 AND 400 watt Lamps
Which would mean its cappable of running both sized lamps
as well as MH or HPS!
AM I WRONG??? :hide:

The instruction sheet that came with my ballast said not to use any size bulb but what the ballast is rated for. I dont know what is right and what is wrong, I personally would never put a 400 watt bulb into a 600 w light. I have literally seen an HPS bulb melt when some jackass put a 250w bulb into a 400 watt magnetic HPS light.

Also what would be the advantage of having both a 400w bulb and a 600 when you can just turn town the selecter switch and get as low as 360 watts from a 600 watt bulb. Its not like the ballast consumes any less energy, it still consumes 600 watts to output 360. IMO its kind of a stupid feature aside from the superlumens, I got mine for the same price as a regular 600, had it cost more I wouldnt have bought it.

choch

The instruction sheet that came with my ballast said not to use any size bulb but what the ballast is rated for. I dont know what is right and what is wrong, I personally would never put a 400 watt bulb into a 600 w light. I have literally seen an HPS bulb melt when some jackass put a 250w bulb into a 400 watt magnetic HPS light.

Also what would be the advantage of having both a 400w bulb and a 600 when you can just turn town the selecter switch and get as low as 360 watts from a 600 watt bulb. Its not like the ballast consumes any less energy, it still consumes 600 watts to output 360. IMO its kind of a stupid feature aside from the superlumens, I got mine for the same price as a regular 600, had it cost more I wouldnt have bought it.

It cleary states on that latest version that it powers several different bulbs, so imo that would mean that version of the ballast is rated to run those bulbs when the selector is in the appropriate position.

What advantage is running a separate bulb instead of dimming the larger one? The spectrum of the dimmed bulb may not be the same as a bulb being run as the manufacturer intended. Another advantage could be that the particular bulb you'd prefer might not be available in all wattages.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I really question the statement that it doesn't use less power. Where did that info come from so I can learn more about it?

The energy would have to either be converted to light or heat, so that ballast would be cooking hot if it was converting an additional 240 watts into heat. Am I missing something here?

I wish I access to one so I could measure how many amps it draws in the different settings.

ambertrich

Veteran

Are you sure this applies to the NexGen or Galaxy versions that are 400/600? I ask because I do not know either.:dunno:

It would be nice if using the same tent/space/cab to veg and bloom to be able to use a 400W to veg and then flip a switch or dial and now have a 600W lapm to flower with all without having to change ballasts :smokeit:

I

Iron_Lion

"
LUMATEK™ LK600 ELECTRONIC BALLAST 600W 120/240V - DIMMABLE
Click to enlarge

Lumatek 600 Watt and 1000 Watt Electronic Ballast
NEW SIZES!

* More lumens generated per watt of electricity consumed - Lumatek™ ballasts have increased efficiency over magnetic ballasts. They lose fewer watts from the power supply to the lamp. This is a power factor of 99%+. The high frequency output results in low power loss.
* Fast start-up – they reach full brightness quickly.
* Completely silent.
* Small compact design.
* Produce less heat.
* Cut-off circuitry – cuts off when a short is detected for ultimate safety.
* Fully interchangeable - Lumatek™ ballasts can light both HPS and MH bulbs (excluding the 750 watt which is HPS only).
* Compatible with Smart Volt™ power cords.
* NEW - A dimming knob has been added which will allow them to be set at 50/75/100% (only reduce the amount of light not the power usage)"

http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=5792

On my info sheet that came with my ballast it says,

"Lamp Replacement- Always use the specified wattage of lamp. (a 400W halide should not be used in a 600W ballast). Lumatek recommends lamp replacement every 6-12 months.

I

Iron_Lion

The Galaxy Select-a-watt will run a 400, 600 or 1000 watt bulb.

The Galaxy Select A Watt 400/600/1000 Ballast is one bad ass ballast. Like all dimmable ballasts on the market today you can screw in the 1000 watt lamp and this ballast can operate the lamp at 400 watts, 600 watts, 1000 watts and even "turbo charge mode" that cranks it up to the equivalent of 1100 watts.

Ok now here is where things get fun. Get this - this ballast can fire almost any of the larger grow lamp that exist today. It will light up 400 Watt HPS / MH, 600 watt HPS and 1000 watt HPS / MH lamps. Just set to the desired wattage and install the correct lamp. We have dreamed of the day of one ballast any bulb and its here.

All Galaxy ballasts are known for being compact and cool running that runs nearly silent. Electronic ballasts are known for easier on the lamp thus extending its life.

These ballast come pre-wired with Sun Light Supplys lamp cord receptacle so it will directly plug into the hood of you choice with out wiring. A 6-foot 120 volt power cord included. Consider a Galaxy Select A Watt Dimmable 1000 Watt Ballast for your garden lighting needs.

The Select-a-Watt Galaxy Ballast is different than any other “dimmable” electronic ballast on the market. This state-of-the-art ballast is manufactured to provide today’s serious grower with maximum flexibility & performance. There are three ways to use the Select-a-Watt™ feature:

1) It will properly drive a 400, 600 or 1000 watt lamp to ANSI specifications. For example, set the switch to 400 watts, insert a 400 watt lamp into your socket and the ballast will operate the 400 watt lamp. The ballast will similarly operate 600 or 1000 watt lamps.

2) The second option for this ballast is dimming a 1000 watt lamp. Adjust the switch to 400 or 600 watts and the ballast will dim the 1000 watt lamp by 40 or 60%.

3) The Turbo Charge feature will increase the output of a 1000 watt lamp (only) by approximately 10%. You will achieve peak performance. Please be aware that this may decrease your lamp life.

Lamps are only dimmable on wattages lower than the specified lamp wattage. A 1000 watt lamp can be dimmed down to 600 watt or 400 watt. A 600 watt lamp can be dimmed down to 400 watt.

600 and 400 watt lamps should NEVER be over-driven. Do not operate these lamps with the switch in the 1000 watt or Turbo Charge position. The Turbo Charge setting is designed for 1000 watt lamps only. The results can be hazardous and lead to catastrophic lamp failure.

T

Tarus Bulbar

OKAY.... Was just on the www.lumatek.ca website and they clearly state that
a 600watt dimmable can illuminate a 600watt MH/HPS OR a 400watt MH/HPS OR
a 360watt conversion bulb!!
This also applies for the 1000watt model which is cappable of running 600watts
or 750watts or 1000watts both MH AND HPS
Just check out their web page for more EXACT details

T

Tarus Bulbar

Hey IRON LION you make my last post look very vague n juvenile!!!
LOL!! Great Info man!! Thanks Bro

I

Iron_Lion

I dont know what to believe. Lumatek.co.uk says one thing other retailer websites say something different. If I get the chance i will turn on my 600 and do an amp clamp reading and see if the amperage goes down as i dial down the wattage.

I would really like it if the amperage went down with the wattage, that would make the feature worth while.

T

Tarus Bulbar

Hey Iron Lion,how old is your ballast bro?
The lumatek.ca page states that these new
ballasts are the 5th generation
Not sure how a ballast would use 9amps to only power a 600watt bulb!?!?
Id imagine the power usage would relate to the size of lamp its powering
at that time!?! Make sense??

I

Iron_Lion

I just got my ballast a month or 2 ago, I think the info sheet that came with it is just some generic piece of shit they put in any lumatek box. The thing about lumatek is there is not alot of official info on each ballast. My ballast say it uses 5.48 amps.

It looks exactly like the one on lumatek.ca, I wonder how i can tell if I have a 5th gen

I would like to know the truth so I could use a 400 MH for veg.

Latest posts

Latest posts