What's new

E-ballast test: Lumatek, BAL, Leuchtek

whazzup

Veteran
Hi everyone. Thought this was interesting enough to share in detail on this site too. I will update the thread as the test continues. I published this originally on wietforum.nl (in Dutch) and on its sister forum opengrow.com (in English). I hope you enjoy the reading and don't draw any too early conclusions before we do the test with the lights in a reflector.

Peace!

- - - start part one - - -

On opengrow's Dutch sister Wietforum there were questions how e-ballasts really performed. So we took 3 popular e-ballasts for a testride in the Wietforum labs. Our testlocation was at Gavita Nederland. Being one of the market leaders in Horticultural lighting, Gavita does a lot of research on lamps, ballasts and reflectors. They have a great light lab including an integrating sphere, also known as the Ulbricht Sphere.

Here's the three candidates fltr Lumatek, Leuchtek, Bal
gallery_5211_8878_310873.jpg

The equipment used: Een Voltech PM6000 en een Fluke 34B power quality analyser (not on the picture the Li-Cor Li-250 measuring the light)
gallery_5211_8878_42190.jpg

The Sylvania lamp in the sphere
gallery_5211_8878_218840.jpg

All lights were inspected for resonance
gallery_5211_8878_199281.jpg

The PM6000 results
gallery_5211_8878_198714.jpg

We haven't concluded all the tests yet but here are a few preliminary results.

This is what we did:
  • We tested the 3 ballasts with the Sylvania Grolux en de Philips Greenpower CG, both 600 watt popular lights in The Netherlands.
  • The Sylvania performed very well. Actually we were a bit surprised with the performance as it was way above specs. We will do the Grolux test again with another lamp, to be absolutely sure that this was a good test and the results were not affected by the lamp. All ballasts were tested using the same lamp of course.
  • We measured these lamps exactly as the manufacturers do, in an integrating sphere without reflector.
In the table you see the measurements with the Grolux and the Philips Greenpower CG. Top down:
  1. Lumatek dimmable on super lumens position
  2. Lumatek dimmable on100%
  3. Lumatek dimmable on75%
  4. Lumatek dimmable on 50%
  5. BAL
  6. Leuchtek
In the first table you see two measurements we did with a Tridonic magnetic ballast with the same lamp and a Super HPS for reference. Before you say "wow why get an electronic ballast": Yes, a new magnetic ballast performs fine when you have the right voltage. It just uses more power and the lamp life is shorter, they give more output over a longer time with E-ballasts. Furthermore the magnetic ballast wears out and the power factor decreases as the capacitor ages, so the current can rise up to double the power you would normally need. In the second table (with the Greenpower CG) we used the Tridonic with the Greenpower CG lamp.

What you read in the table:

First part: Ballast input circuit
U = Line voltage. This was adjusted with a Variac. Electronic ballasts have no problem with changes in the line voltage, output remains the same and conversion efficinecy of the ballast remains intact.
I = TOTAL current, including the extra current due to the power factor in Amperes. Reactive loads such a a magnetic ballast move more current than they actually use. It's just pumped in and out and is a real problem for electricity companies. Professional users need to compensate reactive and inductive loads. A HID ballast must have a pf of more than 0.85.
Pw= Real power, so excluding the extra current as a result of the reactive or inductive load. This is what you see on your bill and what you use for cost calculations.
Ps = Apparent power (including power factor) - this is what goes through your wires.
PF = Power Factor (0.95 = 95% pf)

Second part: Ballast output circuit
U =Lamp voltage
I = Lamp current
Freq = Signal frequency, for E-ballasts in KHz, for magnetic ballasts in Hz.

Third part: Light
Measured in μMol PAR

Fourth part: Lamp efficacy
This is the total light devided by the real output power of the ballast, in μMol/W

Fifth part: System efficiency
The output power compared to the input power, so which percentage is lost in the Ballast (and can generate heat!).

Now you need to know that these lights were tested in an open air environment (inside the integrating sphere). In a reflector the lights get warmer and the lampvoltage and current change. You can really go quite high in the curve but when the light gets too hot the efficacy drops.

Now we see that both the BAL and Leuchtek do not reach their maximum output power, they don't pump out 600 watt. However, in a reflector we expect them to perform differently. The Lumatek performed exactly as specified: 5% more output power in super lumens position, 600 watt output at 100% and 400 watt at 75%, so you can use a 400 watt lamp in there of optimal efficacy without changing the ballast. We will see what it does in a reflector. Dimming the 600 watt light reduces output by almost 50% and reduces lamp efficacy to a bit under a 400 watt comparable bulb. Dimming the Lumatek increased the frequency tot over 110 KHz: We saw no signs of resonance at these high frequencies so they are safe to use (on a recent trade show in Madrid they switched the light from super lumens to 50% at least 700 - 1000 times over a 3 days period: nothing happened to the light). We did come across resonance inspecting the lamp with ballasts using lower frequencies. In this first set-up, the Lumatek performed best in lamp efficacy and system efficiency, and it produced the most light of the three ballasts.

Here's the table:
gallery_5211_8878_161101.jpg

Publication of this report only with prior written approval from Gavita Nederland BV

Now we are going forward with the second batch of measurements where we measure the cold light inrush, redo the Grolux test and do a test with the lights in (different) reflectors. We used the original lamp leads of the Ballasts. We expect shorter leads to have a big effect, so we will test that too.

- - - end part one - - -

Now there was a question if a more expensive E-ballast would actually pay off, as a grower mentioned that replacing his magnetic ballasts (which he changed every 2 years) with BAL electronic ballasts did not really increasy his yield. There can be all kinds of reasons for that to happen (different reflectors for example) but these were my thoughts about that:

- - - beginning part two - - -

If you have 5% more light on your crop, given that climate, substrate, nutrients and genetics are in order, and you have let's say (to make a really safe calculation) just 2% more yield. Let's say you have 600 watt per square meter to make it really simple and you get like 500 gram per m2. That's 10 grams extra per m2 times 4 grows per year. With the electricity prices and the value of your crop you can easily defend a higher investment in the ballast. I calculated that it pays back within 3 crops maximum .

We did the test and we did it at a company that has no interest in promoting a specific light for our industry. They do certified tests all the time to check the performance of lamps for horticultural greenhouse growers. Bear in mind though that many big professional greenhouse growers actually grow with 400 volt fixtures and professional lights, that perform better, use less power and keep their output for a longer time. Here's a little example for you of what I would call a big installation:
attachment.php

6000 GAN Electronic 1000W 400V fixtures on this location. Company uses a total of 23000 fixtures! Efficiency, efficacy, light... that is all crucial in these installation. 5 watt more per fixture is almost 100 KW per hour! That's about (if I do a quick calculation) more than half a million euros electricity costs per year! So you can imagine in professional greenhouse grows the economics are a bit different. The constant light output of these Greenpower CG lamps is guaranteed by Philips for 2 years (Constant Grow light).

There are more differences between the Lumatek and the BAL than the output and efficiency. You see that the PF of the BAL is lower than the Lumatek, the output frequency is lower and without a reflector they do not reach optimal power. That's why we are going to do extra tests with reflectors to see the effect on the output and efficacy of the lamp. So we are not done yet.

As you can see a magnetic ballast does perform well when it gets its optimal voltage and does not show any signs of wear. However...

- it does use more power
- it does create more harmonics, especially when they get old (which give an electricity company easy ways to locate you)
- it had a much lower power factor, especially when you don't change them every year or two years (again, that's a way for an electricity company to locate you) which decreases over the use (depending on the quality of the compensating capacitor)
- it uses more power than an electronic ballast (and dissipates much more heat)
- the lamp performs better over a longer period on the electronic ballast
- the electronic ballast is much safer to operate (remember a light failure will cause a magnetic ballast to draw big amounts of extra current, trying to re-ignite!)

Also remember that one burn-out in two years can already be a catastrophe in your house. A good electronic ballast just shuts down the light when it starts to behave outside it's specs.

Now whether you want to invest $100 or $200 for a ballast depends on a lot of things:

1. How long will they last?
Compared to a magnetic ballast you can easily prove that an electronic ballast has at least a twice as long a lifetime. So you have to value your investment on the long term. You can have all the advantages of the electronic ballast and pay exactly the same for it over time, even if the eballast is twice as expensive as the magnetic. There are quality differences in E-ballasts. Any moving parts (such as fans) cause a risk and there is a lot of difference in the quality of electronic components. They can fail too. Always look at the warranty (many go up to 5 years!). I have seen the stacks of burned out magnetic lights in a large installation... So in any case an electronic ballast is safer and because it lasts longer it may cost about twice as much, just for the investment to be worth it and have all the safety advantages.
2. How well will they perform?
If an electronic ballast and the lamp outputs more light over the period you use them, that's a very easy calculation to make. However.. if the e-ballast under-performs you will get about the same light and yield, only work safer and use less electricity and cause less distortion on the power grid (harmonics, power factor). So in any case that would be a safer situation, and much easier to operate and install (think about the switching and the fuses). When you look at the BAL you see it is outperformed by the magnetic ballast (IN THIS TEST!! We still have to to the test WITH the reflectors!!!). However, the magnetic ballast will not perform that well over it's lifetime and the lamp will fade faster too on a magnetic ballast. So that equals it a bit.

In case of the Lumatek you see less power consumption and, more important, more light! So do I get more than $100 profit from more light over the life time of the ballast? You betcha!

My best advice at this moment would be to buy the e-ballast that outputs the most light most efficiently and see the difference over let's say one or two years. You will want to buy the newest and greatest again in two years I suppose ;). If you read the data well, the Lumatek outputs 10-14% more than the BAL with the same lamp. So I can see your friend doesn't see a lot of difference using the BALS at this moment with the current data available.

There are however differences between professional grows and home grows. First of all look at the voltage you get at your ballast. In many houses mains voltage can be up to 10% less than what is specified, depending on the time of day, industry nearby, wiring etc etc. With a magnetic ballast that's easily 10% less light (10% more is 10% more light)! An electronic ballast doesn't care, it outputs exactly the same with a lower or higher input voltage.

Good reading is the Advance HID guide, you can find it on the advance or Philips site (Advance is a Philips company)

Attachments

• CRW_8106.jpg
    CRW_8106.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 30
R

Red Swan

Another awesome post from a great grower and knowledgable cat!

whazzup

Veteran
thanks.

There is of course one other consideration for buying an electronic ballast and that is safety. Preferably a closed casing, so they are suitable for hanging in the growroom. Internal fuse and temperature safety. Auto switch-off when light fails. Makes it a lot easier to put your head on the pillow and fall asleep without worries ;)

whazzup

Veteran
just for the record: I have read a lot of posts on this forum that state that the Lumatek ballast uses 100% power, even when dimmed. As you can see in the table that is NOT correct, power does go down with dimming. In fact, the Lumatek is the most efficient ballasts of the three. I would recommend though to use a 400 watt bulb in the 75% position for optimal lamp efficacy.

whazzup

Veteran
The next part of the test is planned for coming Tuesday. We will test the lights in a Lumatek reflector, which is small and will cause the lamps to heat up a bit more.

So more results next week!

coolx

Great post. Good info.

Only thing though - 400W is NOT 75% of 600W - it's 66.7%. However looking at your table, for thw Phillips, the amount of light at 100% is 119, and at 75% is 91, 91 is indeed 3/4 of 119 near enough. This implies that the lamp is more efficient at 75% power as it actually uses 67% power producing 75% light.

coolx

BTW I think the biggest reason to use digi ballasts is the soft start. Every time you turn on a bulb it degrades a bit, but far less with a digital ballast. At the end of a grow, that can average 10% less total light with analog vs digital.

FunkyFarmer

Great post Wassup, keep it coming!

One question though, do you know if these ballasts will fire up a grolux bulb reliably? Reason for asking is I've read about problems with digi ballasts and dual spectrum bulbs, that need a higher ignition voltage to fire up and I would like to use the sylvania grolux bulbs.

Rgds, FunkyFarmer

S

Sparkey

Great read... makes me feel a lot better about waiting... and waiting... and waiting, to save for a 400w dimmable Lumatek!

My only thing is this... i've been reading about RF interference. It mostly occured with 1000w's... but still. I know i've owned a 400w previously and didnt have noticeable problems... but just wanted to throw that out there...

Slipklot

Ya the pf dips a lil on dim butt only to .96 which aint bad.. I'd like to see a test of next gen vs lumatek vs quantum vs digital greenhouse. Now that would rock. An rf noise test be cool too just to see if they shielded it and which didn't now thats harmonix probs.

whazzup

Veteran
Great post. Good info.

Only thing though - 400W is NOT 75% of 600W - it's 66.7%. However looking at your table, for thw Phillips, the amount of light at 100% is 119, and at 75% is 91, 91 is indeed 3/4 of 119 near enough. This implies that the lamp is more efficient at 75% power as it actually uses 67% power producing 75% light.
That's the lamp voltage (U) actually. At 400 watt a 600 watt light produces 58% of the amount of light it produces at 600 watt. It's not too bad actually. For the Philips:
Super lumens - 1200 micro-moles
100% - 1118 micro-moles
75% - 646 micro-moles

The voltage at 75% is correct, but it would have been better to name the dimmed positions the 400 watt / 300 watt output setting.

BTW I think the biggest reason to use digi ballasts is the soft start. Every time you turn on a bulb it degrades a bit, but far less with a digital ballast. At the end of a grow, that can average 10% less total light with analog vs digital.
True. Also think about the speed in which they reach full power, that's about 15 minute more light on your plants every day ;). Thing is though that growers change their bulbs way too often. It's ok to use a good bulb for a year on a good E-ballast. Super Lumens use will wear out the lamp a bit faster, but the 5% extra is still within the limits of the lamp.

Great post Wassup, keep it coming!

One question though, do you know if these ballasts will fire up a grolux bulb reliably? Reason for asking is I've read about problems with digi ballasts and dual spectrum bulbs, that need a higher ignition voltage to fire up and I would like to use the sylvania grolux bulbs.

Rgds, FunkyFarmer
Lumatek US recommends Sylvania lamps, and so does Lumatek Europe. Though the Sylvania is not specifically designed for an E-ballast it performs well. Lumatek is at the moment developing a lamp especially for the (Lumatek) e-ballast, but I'm sure it will perform well on other e-ballasts too. I have not seen any real problems with the Sylvania Grolux yet. In any case, the problems seem to be just the 600 watt bulbs, not the 400 in general (accross the line). It has to do with the length of the arc tube. On a trade show in barcelona KJ Products used a 400 watt sylvania and a lumatek dimmable Lumatek 400 watt to do a light show. We calculated that the switch must have been used way more than a thousand times, up and down, up and down, to the music playing, for 3 days long. Now the switch did start to feel like it needed a bit of lubrication but the lamp remained intact.
Great read... makes me feel a lot better about waiting... and waiting... and waiting, to save for a 400w dimmable Lumatek!

My only thing is this... i've been reading about RF interference. It mostly occured with 1000w's... but still. I know i've owned a 400w previously and didnt have noticeable problems... but just wanted to throw that out there...
The only recommendation I could give you is keep the lead from the ballast to the light as short as possible, especially with the plug and play. Do not wind up extra cable as a coil, get rid of it! It's the cord that in our opinion creates the most RF interference. The Lumateks are all CSA and CE (TÜV) approved as far as I know, CE deals with interference levels up to 30 MHz. They don't dissipate a lot of heat, the pcboard is sealed and the casing is closed so you can hang them close to your lights. Don't worry about the heat, it won't reach the plants. Best would be to place them right on top of the reflector ;)

Part two is taking a bit longer because the test room is occupied, and of course I am not high on the priority list ;). I expect another week or two.

Quantum has just been introduced to our market by a local distributor. We are trying to get one for the second test.