What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

digital ballast problem, advice needed

TEMA

hi all, my digital ballast (400w) acts wierd - it seems to not be able to fire up with the timer (tried digital and mechanical timers with it), though it does shut down at due time.
i have to unplug it, turn the main power plug down,and re-plug in a "normal" socket and it lights up.....
at this point of time i cannot send or take it to the shop.
btw,i opened it, had a non-expert look, and all seemed in place...
any tips or advice is welcome.
thanks

P

PastorJ

is the Timer rated high enough for the Ballast/light? Only thing I could think of unless some sort of internal problem with the ballast.

Esskie

Hi there,
Although I'm inclined to agree with PastorJ & say one of the ballast's internal components is buggered, have you tried a different bulb?

I know that sounds too simple but it's worth checking to rule it out anyway :dunno:

TEMA

hello pastor and esskie, thanks for your replies. yeas, i changed bulbs and timers etc...
well, obviously internally would be e first place to check but as i said it cant be taken to a shop...

isit4.20yet

It sounds like a remote ballast. Make sure the plug that goes to the light is clean and corrosion-free. Check all of your connections. Also, shorter length of wire between ballast and lamp = more reliable starting.