What's new

Strains High in Terpenes

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Im looking for help to identify strains high in terpenes. The real high ones. The ones that can irritate sensitive eyes while harvesting or also leaves an odd resiny film on your lips when you pull a bong load that if left unwiped for long starts a mild burning sensation. Anyone have experience with those strains?

G

One of my LifeSaver phenos smells so strong that when you are trimming it, more than one occasion my helper has wanted to puke. It is a sickly sweet skunky smell. One of my favorites, but my elf doesnt so much like it.

Definitely causes irritation if you even bring any of my LifeSaver phenos close your eyes. I have 2 lemon phenos, a blueberry (not as bad) and the skunky one. I hate when I accidently brush near my eyes when trimming the lemon phenos. Stings like hell.

I've grown out quite a bit and the only other one I can think of is a cross I grew of Jack Herrer and an unknown male. Super strong grapefruit smell. Would burn your nose kinda like any citrus cleaner would do.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

Verite

Veteran
Thanks SW. the Mikado I have does it a lot and I sense the Romulan I have in flower now is headed the same way. It got to the point where I can no longer bong the Mikado since it leaves that burning resin sensation on the lips. The Mikado also has one of the longest lasting narcotic like highs from it. I hope the Rom turns out the same.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
romulan for sure, that can be a stinky bitch. i had one that started smelling like burning plastic. was horrible but it choked anyone who hit it.

a lot of socal kushes leave that thick film on your lips and fingers when hitting a joint or a blunt. almost black by the end of it.

Verite

Veteran
I believe the high terpenes strains to be the ones that form the narcotic long lasting highs. Everyone has a pretty good idea about a long lasting high but people differ on the narcotic high bit.

I refer to the narcotic high as the high that makes you want to pick up that smoke again before touching another. Example, if I have any Mikado smoke or any crosses of it I will continually grab for that smoke regardless how many other strains I have to choose from. Doesnt matter if that other smoke is C99, NL5, Sour D, Love Potion, etc, if it has some of the Mikado I will go for that first. Even if I try to smoke something else the first thing my brain says after " nice taste or feel " is " Gee thats not Mikado. " Its a type of craving at a cellular level.

Mikado is also crazy cross friendly to the point where it imbues its narcotic high on everything I have tried crossing it with so far. Since there doesnt seem to be a lot of talk about these characteristics in the current federation strains [ I think Dynamite is the successor of the Mikado line ] Im thinking this was unique to the original Federation offering around 2000-01 which where mine originates from.

I have done the Mikado crosses to death and Im ready to add another cog to the breeding machine.

G

I have found SE Asians and hybrids of to usually have that flavour that makes you go back for more, at least for me. Kushes are pretty damn tasty too. Really though its all a matter of what flavours you like, everyone has a different strain that they think is the best tasting shit ever. In all reality I find that a longer flush will really draw out the flavours of the bud alot more, coupled with having zero leaf on the bud, and I mean zero.

G

In my agriculture class, we are learning that Terpenes are directly related to resin production, as they are a product of resin production. In addition to each plant having a somewhat genetically determined potency, resin, and terpene production; the resin production is what synthesizes the terpenes. So literally, the more chronic your plant is (the more resin), the more terpenes it has. A really good book on this subject I highly suggest you read is: Plant Resins: Chemistry, Evolution, Ecology, and Ethnobotany

I highly suggest you read this book, if you can handle all the taxonomic terms and shit, because it is the definitive book on plant resins.

Brief Book Description (from amazon):
Few people are aware of the great diversity of resin-producing plants or the remarkable roles resins play for plants and people. Often, the first resin that comes to mind is the glue-like sap of conifers, but in fact many tropical trees and arid-zone shrubs also produce resin. Resins evolved millions of years ago to defend plants against their enemies, as recorded by fossil resins like amber, and humans have used them since prehistory. Plant Resins tells the whole story about these fascinating plant products.

For ages, the term resin has been vaguely defined, referring to any sticky plant exudate. Based on recent scientific advances, Jean Langenheim provides the first operational definition of resin, distinguishing true resins from other substances such as gum and latex.

This book takes a unique multidisciplinary approach to the study of plant resins and is the only complete, scientifically up-to-date treatment of them. Divided into three parts for ease of use---production of resin, geologic history and ecology, and ethnobotany---it is accessible to anyone interested in understanding plant resins and their uses.

:chin: :joint:

Verite

Veteran
Cool that looks like a good read. Theres seems to be that relation you mention about the link to terpene and resin but I have found some strains that were really frosty but the frost didnt have that pine tar feel and smell to it and while the bud was strong in most cases it was also void of the narcotic like high.

Im thinking that perhaps Im not thinking far enough outside the box in the sense that Im in the mindset theres one terpene that produces this when there could be many in unique forms and combinations. So maybe I want to append the question to include peoples experience with strains that produce narcotic like highs.

I always thought Burmese strains were stong with terpenes. Cool book.Verite, are you planning to breed for such characteristics? That would be an interesting project. If ya need the burmese...
NoS

G

Verite said:
Since there doesnt seem to be a lot of talk about these characteristics in the current federation strains [ I think Dynamite is the successor of the Mikado line ] Im thinking this was unique to the original Federation offering around 2000-01 which where mine originates from.

I have done the Mikado crosses to death and Im ready to add another cog to the breeding machine.

I had some Federation's BcKushxRomulan that absolutley blew my mind.
It had all the qualities you speak of.
Federation must have had some special plants back then.
I crossed it to Bubbleberry and Jack Herer and both crosses kept the "bite".
This stuff makes people dizzy and kinda sick, if your not used to it.
In a class of it's own.
Strong Strong stuff.......
I do believe your on to something here.
Would love to get my hands on some old stock federation.........
What exactly happened to the old Fed?

guineapig

Veteran
Terpenoids are often the semiochemical messengers which convey information to
specific species of insects. Sometimes these are perfumes which tell insects to
crawl inside the flowers and pollinate. Sometimes they attract other kinds of insects which are predators for herbivorous insects.

but we just think they smell skunky or diesely.....

gp

Verite

Veteran
I was also wondering about the obvious sounding pine tar kush, who makes that and does it feel like it sounds?

ddd

Does anyone know how to increase a clone's terpinoid profile? How do you grow a plant to make it STINK?

I think the best way is to provide a lot of organic ferts. I've heard that MH or UV bulbs could work too. Are these methods true? Are there any other environmental factors that the grower could add?

What fragrances in the plants do you associate with a narcotic high?ddd

osoloco69

Mono- or Sesqui-? Are you rsure that you aren't thinking of pinenes? Usually terpines occur highly in plants that have high lemonene content(think haze and thai). The pinenes occur in the diesels and many afgan crosses(think tom hill's ptk). The terpines usually make me feel sneezy and the pinenes usually taste very reminescent of my childhood(probably from pops when I was a kid). The oaxacan sativa (haze 1st year) has a lot of terpines, and pinene, and lemonene, whilst the michoachan (skunk and chronic) is very heavy with the terpines and pinenes and low in the lemonene. hopes this helps.

Last edited:
i find the following provide a rather 'drunken' stone. :the ones that smell like dog shit, or baby poo, or dried up vomit.

it seems to me the skunky (like dead skunk smell) were also pretty intoxicating.

i'm drawn to things in the realm of pine and ?cedar?.. lemony is nice, and i apreciate it, but i dont know if it is what hooks me.

Question: What about adding products that add turpenoids to res/nutes along w/others carbs and aminos & enzymes?

I have found that Sweet Leaf adds to the "piney" taste & aroma to my bud w/out the excess chorophyll taste---seems to make a more cerebral high at first due to more resin, then a more narcotic buzz sits in.
I'm not really a connoiseur of a lot of strains yet though--mostly White Rhino, N. Lights and Afghani types.

G

strainwhore said:
One of my LifeSaver phenos smells so strong that when you are trimming it, more than one occasion my helper has wanted to puke. It is a sickly sweet skunky smell. One of my favorites, but my elf doesnt so much like it.

Definitely causes irritation if you even bring any of my LifeSaver phenos close your eyes. I have 2 lemon phenos, a blueberry (not as bad) and the skunky one. I hate when I accidently brush near my eyes when trimming the lemon phenos. Stings like hell.

I've grown out quite a bit and the only other one I can think of is a cross I grew of Jack Herrer and an unknown male. Super strong grapefruit smell. Would burn your nose kinda like any citrus cleaner would do.

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

wow I am glad to hear im not the only person who has ever felt like puking while trimming buds. When I was trimming my Jock Horror plants, the whole room had the aroma of the buds in it. I had to stop trimming for an hour or so because I felt like just taking another whiff of the stuff would make me barf.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
The bagseed that I grew out gained the nickname "Hot Sauce" between my friends and I, because after smoking it, no matter what method, it would leave your lips and mouth feeling very spicy. One of the two plants had an almost rotten meat smell during harvesting, I had to take a few breaks so I could get some fresh air.

KingRalph

heya Verite... terpenes always intrigued me... my kona cherry old (probably pure) sativa and it's crosses are very much like this. trimming, especially after an organic grow, makes for irritating smells and can irritate the skin. the herb is also one that gives off that stanky incense smell when burned. i wouldn't be surprised if most old pure sativas are loaded with the goods like this. most likely going to find the most terpenes in landraces or landrace-cross F1s. just my hypothesis from experience. peace man