What's new

Red_Greenery's Handyman's DIY Grow Tub

SuperZero

t'aint nothin to it but to do it :)

and pepe I'll keep you guys updated on her in this thread, the smoke was great so I'm not gonna complain if she wants to grow me some more

Flutch

Grow Update

This is a double post! I also have my own thread, I was asked if I could also post my stuff in this post also. If people don't like this then please let me know and I won't do it anymore.

Hey guys, just wanted to give you guys a quick update. It has been three days since my last post. As you can see in the pictures things are going pretty well.

My water PH level is around 6.0 which should be good for Hydro. Also my lights are on 24/7. I am wondering if I should turn my lights to 18/6 pretty soon or even 12/12. I am growing in a tub so there is not that much room.

In one pot I have a really long root coming true. The other pot has not show anything but the leaves are still looking good I think. I haven't had to add water to it because the plants don't use much. This Sunday I am going to change all the water out and put new food for my little babies in there.

Enough of me talking here are the pictures! These pictures are from 12-12-06

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Flutch :wave:

SuperZero

Nice babies you got there Flutch, should be a nice show.

I chopped some stuff the other night and tonight and took some pics I thought I'd share.

First up 2 of the 3 remaining main branches from the Sativa(suspected nevilles haze) and some smaller stuff that was there.

And the other night I took some samples from the plant I didn't water and wilted(WW x SD I made,) quick dried it it's great smoke, looks great too.

Soopaman_luva

Hey all just bought my tubs yesterday and basically have bought almost everything that is needed, just need to get somekind of a heat shield, maybe a cut up plastic container cover or something..

So i was bending some wire coat hangers last night to make a scrog frame and started looking around for the "super simple scrog method" by bigfatj but couldn't find it even though i searched the forums. Is it posted here / anywhere currently? Would really like to know more about scrogging before attempting one on my very first grow. All this business about training and fim and the ultimate-critical-factor of TIMING the 12/12 switch are making me think there's no way i won't screv this up :1help:

ps. i'm gonna get some Powerplant seeds from my buddy and he said that those babies really stretched in the first two weeks of 12/12, like almost more than doubled in height

Edit: The search fucntion pulled through and i found this Bigfatj's super simple scrog method in Maj.Pothead's gallery

Last edited:

SuperZero

sweet soopaman, the more the merrier.
Definately get the heat shield, I burn almost all of my plants from re-arranging. Red, if I remember correctly, got a piece of Plexiglas cut from Home Depot, just make some measurements(snug as the tubs will have some give/stretch I'd imagine, so only minimal tape/whatever you use would be needed to hold it up.)

G

id even go a little smaller...i had to cut my own and its kinda too big...but i tried cutting it smaller and it started chipping so mine has a hard time staying near the lights...it will bend in the middle or one corner will fall or somehting...and it is fucking up the emergency blanket in the top tub...and i HIGHLY recommend buying vlecro for putting that baby in...duct tape looses stickyness when it gets hot near the light ballasts

SuperZero

velcro uses adhesives which probably warm up and soften just like the adhesives on duct tape.
Here's a thought, put the glass in and put some bolts(use washers) through the tub just below it the glass for it to rest on.

G

yeah or i was thinking using those small 90* support pieces for holding up shelves and supergluing to the tub (not the mylar).

G

question...

i'm almost done building my grow tub, and i'm wondering how to keep stray outside light from entering through the PC fan?

SuperZero

You'll have to make a light trap, usually a small cardboard box is used, red uses Kleenex boxes.
It'll take some thinking, as I suck at diagrams, but light doesn't bend(well except from gravity but that's for Einstein to worry about) but air will bend right around the corner, so you need to make a box with some walls inside of the opening that aren't complete walls(doesn't go all the way to the top of your box,) so the air can go through but the light going in will reflect off of the walls, bounce around, and dissipate(not sure if that's the word I want.)

I only used one before I moved last year, but now I keep my tub in a closet with the door closed so I don't worry about light getting in.

I2KanGrow

Hey guys...

RE: Cutting Plexiglass - if you have access to one of those hand power jigsaws, you can cut your own. I made a template from cardboard, and transferred it to the plexi. Use masking tape over where you need to cut - and use the finest blade you can find (I used a fine metal blade), and take your time. Works great!

Darren - I'm having the same problem w/ the blanket getting worn where the plexi chafes. I bought some of that insulating foil (reflectix), which I think I'll use to line my upper tub after I'm done w/ this grow.

BTW - tonight I swapped-out my CFL's to soft whites, and reset my timer to 12/12 - let's see if I can now do the flower thang (FINALLY)!!! Man, staring at 260 watts of soft white CFL lighting will really bug your mind out - who needs weed?!?

Soopaman_luva

darren19822000 said:
both my plants turned out to be male :( guess i got to start again

Oh man that must suck. :badday:
Here man, i'll put a spell on you.. *waving arms in the air like a crackhead*

ALAKAZZAAAAMMM Mother-fo'!! May all your future plants be female!

There... Hope that works.

G

my emergency blanket is falling apart...tape isnt holding very well.....is it possible to run this system wihout the blanket in the light chamber? or would my plastic melt? temps are pretty good i got it vented good and it stays to near ambient temps.

G

I measured the temps inside the light chamber and they run in the 90's F. The plastic might get a bit hotter but not enough to melt or anything like that.

G

cool cuz im thinking of either taking it out and going without it on the top...or if i can find some cheap velcro ill try that...or just paint it or somehting. just dont want a fire hazard or anything :)

Flutch

This is a double post! I also have my own thread, I was asked if I could also post my stuff in this post also. If people don't like this then please let me know and I won't do it anymore.

Grow Update!

What can I say so far! But WoW :woohoo: This has been a great grow and to think of it that this is only 13 days from start! These plants are taking off. Right now they are still on a 24/7 light schedule. Really would like some advice on when to switch over from 24/7 to 18/6 or 12/12. THX :kissass: My water in the Hydro was a little high ph today at 7ph so I lowered it. I will be change out all the water and putting in new fresh water with new plant food tomorrow.

To me the plants look great I would just like to see what you guys think of them.

Ok, here are the pictures.

This one I call "Big Mama" now lets hope that she is a SHE!

Look at the roots on this baby!

Let me know your deep thoughts on these babies!

Thanks as always!

Flutch :wave:

Last edited:

SuperZero

Don't get your hopes too high up on that one you named Big Mama, as the fastest growing ones are usually males.
Otherwise, looking good.