What's new

Grafting to make a multistrain mother

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I think you can do this with most plants, assuming both donor and recipient are compatible. For example, i have a mandarin clone grafted onto an orange tree rootstock (which is hardier than mandarin rootstocks, and still compatible)

Likewise i have a passionfruit vine, the clone is called Nelly Kelly which is a regular purple passionfruit, but it's grafted onto a banana passionfruit rootstock. Last year (its 3rd season) the rootstock actually sprouted several offshoots, and I ended up with both banana passionfruit and regular purple passionfruit off the same vine :)

As far as cannabis goes apparently you can only graft it onto other cannabis plants, and HOPS plants. But yes, I'd say it would be quite easy to create and sustain a 'super mother' of multiple strains :)

(it'd also be good in cases where you can legally only grow x number of plants ... you could combine three or so plants into one)

Last edited:

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
Oooh... this could multiply my mom selection... now to figure out a way to elegantly integrate test grows...

Anima

is grafting tape not advised because the limbs are so small? what about bracing it and using grafting tape?
i guess im just not sure how the bag over it is going to work. please take pics :)
i want to have a 3-4 strain mother and flower it outside.

I plan on trying a number of different covering techniques, and using a variety of older/thicker younger/thinner branches and I'll post all the success and failures...I'm a tenacious soul so I think I can pull it off.

For my first go I am going to stick to what I heard in the video mostly...but instead of plastic bags (I also raised an eyebrow at this step in the video) and rubber bands i am thinking a couple of inverted cups and masking tape. Don't worry I'll be sure to post pics.

Sorry this thread isn't "instant gratification" Right now I am terribly busy but I think I am going to put it on the schedule for tomorrow.
It will be done within 48 hours. That way when I get it done in 24 I can still be a miracle worker like Mr Scott. :abduct:

I encourage others to give it a go too if they have the means.

Peace and kindness all
-Anima

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
this has been an idea of mine for years, I'm really interested to see if its going to work, super moms would be the chit

Anima

I'll be a grafter in no time

I'll be a grafter in no time

Ok here we go... I couldn't find exactly the plastic mini clothespins that I was thinking of.. but I did find a pack of "Plastic clothes pegs" That I think'll do the trick. I had to use some scissors and cut off some of the handle side so I could get them to fit in the cups:
picture.php

I took more pics of the "V" and the scored clone but they didn't turn out so well.. but I did manage this pic of my first graft Boomstick grafted onto Skunk #5:
picture.php

I ended up using my Skunk #5 mother instead of the bubba because if something horrible does happen god forbid I don't want to lose that mother. Plus I have a whole cab full of skunk#5 that I can get an emergency clone from if something goes awry.
2 grafts-Boomstick and bubba were both grafted onto this skunk #5 mother:
picture.php

You can see the inverted clear cups I used as a humidity dome. The bottom one was cut down a bit, has a hole drilled in the bottom, and was split up the side so I could slide it on below the graft site. The top cup just sits over it. It has been about an hour now and neither one of them has shriveled up so I'm optimistic. I'll put up an update tomorrow, and let you all know if the make it 24 hrs.

And thanks to everyone following along- :watchplant:
Peace and kindness all
-Anima

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This tecnique really does work with practice , have grafted a female top onto a male rootstock twice but both times the graft snapped weeks later like a poor quality weld a half inch away from the union. when moved.

It was the hope of useing up the males that motivated me to try it after good luck with air layering.

A length of thick walled rubber tubeing split down one side is good to hold stems in line , if it moves a mil its fucked so leave it alone for a week at least.

I would not bother trying on stems below 6 mm diameter or if they are hollow.

With the razor blade or knife, cut the top of the rootstock's stem into a V shape.

Begin the downward cut from the side of the stem. Make the cuts meet cleanly in the middle of the stem. The angle of the two cuts should be around 20 degrees.

With the razor blade or knife, cut the heirloom's stem so that it exactly fills the space in the rootstock's stem.

Position a stake so that the two pieces are perfectly aligned. Fit the two pieces together, and tie them to the stake.
Wrap a soft rubber band very gently around the join and tie it.

Attachments

• sexgraft01.jpg
    sexgraft01.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 24

Anima

Great tips foomar! Over 6mm eh? These graft are more like 2 or 3. I'll try for some thicker stalks next time. And that thick rubber band tube idea is a very great one too!! Thanks.

Anyways heres a pic from this morning:
picture.php

As you can tell it is not looking good at the moment.. kinda droopy...I misted them and am praying right now... I'll at least let everyone know how it goes.. and I am far from giving up too.
I was thinking about trying to seal the graft with some low temp wax next time but I might give foomar's idea a shot with the split rubber.

If this inspired any one out there to give it a try please feel free to come and add to this thread :yes: :yes:

Peace and kindness
-Anima

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
wow what an awesome thread.....it sounds tricky but well worth the opportunity........ id like to try this one day...

B

B. Self Reliant

If it works this could help out a lot of people who try their best to keep plant numbers down. My different grows throughout the years have always used a low number of plants in flower at any given time, but by the time I add in my vegging plants for the next grow and my moms, they can really add up quickly. Even if it turns my two moms into one mom, that would be a big help.

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
When a close friend of mine told me about his neighbor having a 10+ variety of apples on one tree from a technique called grafting, a lightbulb went off. I though the same as you Anima and would find it incredibly convenient and space conserving to make a multimomma. Best of luck I believe you can do it.

Peace.

Latest posts

Latest posts