What's new

UVB Anyone have any experience?

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I just added a UVB light to see if there are any results.

Anyone try a reptile light, they are the ones that procusce the UVB light the reptiles need and apparently LED grow lights are being made with UVB lights intergrated so there has to be something to it.

razor ridge

I have used UV-B lights for years. It increases the amount of trics imo. A lot of people will dispute this, but that is just my experience. I have grown the same clones from the same mother with and w/o the UV-B and the ones with were a lot stickier, more tric coverage. You need to replace the bulb every 6 months.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I have used UV-B lights for years. It increases the amount of trics imo. A lot of people will dispute this, but that is just my experience. I have grown the same clones from the same mother with and w/o the UV-B and the ones with were a lot stickier, more tric coverage. You need to replace the bulb every 6 months.

Thanks for the Info, I have read some stuff about how it may turn Cbd in THC etc etc, in the end it seemed that it is a method for the plant to protect itself by producing more good whether cbc cbd or thc, we shall see I suppose.

:tiphat:

KT420

I think you'd be best served using a normal flourescent of equivelant wattage for most of the grow and then subbing in that UV-B light for the last 2 weeks only.

I think you'd be best served using a normal flourescent of equivelant wattage for most of the grow and then subbing in that UV-B light for the last 2 weeks only.

I've always heard to keep the uv light on its own timer, and set it to turn on 15min at a time, for about 2 hours total a day. It's supposed to be more of a supplemental light than one to switch a light for. I plan on trying it out in my next grow.

Doc420

I know that the Gavita LEP 300 plasma has uv-a and uv-b in the light.
The amount is just enough to get more terpenes and trichomes.
My 2 cents.

bad gas

Hi everybody.

Spurr researched this subject from an experimental standpoint in his threads.

razor ridge: How many hours per day at what distance do you use. As yet, there is no general agreement on this subject.

Thanks,everyone, for your input. bg

KT420

I've always heard to keep the uv light on its own timer, and set it to turn on 15min at a time, for about 2 hours total a day. It's supposed to be more of a supplemental light than one to switch a light for. I plan on trying it out in my next grow.
Where have you always heard that? That sounds crazy to me. Why wouldn't you just run it all 12 hours the other lights are on? It is supposed to increase trichome production, but doesn't aid plant growth as well as a normal light. That's why you'd only want it the last 2 weeks of flower, to get as much growth as you can, then frost it all up at the end.

vukman

Veteran
Where have you always heard that? That sounds crazy to me. Why wouldn't you just run it all 12 hours the other lights are on? It is supposed to increase trichome production, but doesn't aid plant growth as well as a normal light. That's why you'd only want it the last 2 weeks of flower, to get as much growth as you can, then frost it all up at the end.

my opinion.....if it's worth anything to anyone but me....is that having the UVB on all the time wouldn't hurt the plant seeing how plants in nature have to deal with it all the time for the source but I can see the argument of it being the most beneficial when the plant is in the height of it's trichome production. Then the added UVB will trigger a more pronounced response to the stimuli......as I said...just my opinion...

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
my opinion.....if it's worth anything to anyone but me....is that having the UVB on all the time wouldn't hurt the plant seeing how plants in nature have to deal with it all the time for the source but I can see the argument of it being the most beneficial when the plant is in the height of it's trichome production. Then the added UVB will trigger a more pronounced response to the stimuli......as I said...just my opinion...

All good information and all good questions, the UVB light that comes naturally from the sun is unavoidable all year round and also through out the plants life. The Strains that see the most UVB Radiation are at the highest elevations where the least amount of protection is offered by the atmosphere. I think if you keep the plants under the light from start to finish you will trigger the defence mechanism within the plant that protects it from UVB, that defence also comes in the form of CBD production, and the subsequent breakdown of CBD by UVB into THC. The plant is trying to protect its photosynthetic cellular tissue from the damaging UVB by producing its own suntan lotion, otherwise known as resin, and it turns out this resin, depending on what strain will contain large amounts of CBD, THC, CBC, porportional to the genetic makeup of the strain. I will keep it on all the time and itroduce it in the veg stage from here on in. Seems to be the natural thing to do. For now a rotation of the plants on a daily basis underneath the UVB light will have to do.

Thanks all :tiphat: