What's new

What parts of Amsterdam to avoid?

G

Hi guys and girls:wave:

I am going to be moving to Amsterdam asap, and I know that there are parts of the city that tourists dont want to end up when your trashed drunk and stoned. I dont plan on doing much of a tourist thing as i try not to be Merkin, but I do plan on exploring for the first week or so, obviously I have never been to A'dam and I know some might think its hasty to move without being there first, but I'm excited and ready for the change. I've planned this move for around a year and I've been waiting on my house to sell and it finally did, we closed the deal Friday.
I will be entering the country as a tourist then after 3months I go apply for a resadince permit, the great thing about doing it this way is that I'm allowed to live in the NL until they process my residence permit, wich you pay around 300E and are not guaranteed a permit, with no refund :fsu: I have heard stories of pickpockets, purse snatchers, basically every kind of a thug a big city has, and I know this doesn't go on everywhere I just want to know where the rougher parts of A'dam are and certain coffeshops where they dont like Americans so I can avoid them. Feel free to share any bad experience that you've had in A'dam, I want to get myself ready. I dont want to be in some dumb mindset and think A'dam is just peachy, or that its all bad, and please add good experiences as well

Last edited:

Blazed_Out

Remember, Amsterdam is just the name of a city in The Netherlands (North Holland) and if you want to avoid tourists areas then don't stay in Amsterdam. Try places like Haarlem, Utrecht and Rotterdam. They're all quite close to Amsterdam and have some coffeeshops there too.

I wouldn't know where the ghetto areas are in A'dam but just say if you go out further than 5 miles from the Centraal area, there are mostly locals and is not really a tourist area.

I guess coffeeshops don't really despise Americans, it's probably that they stereotype the Americans from movies such as... American Pie, then they'll think that most Americans are like that. The Dolphins coffeeshop workers labelled me and a friend the last time we went as 'Americans' just because we were wearing certain clothing (Hip-Hop wear) and started staring at us. I felt quite out of place there. As long as you are calm and at a coffeeshop to appreciate smoking the weed and hash then you have no problems.
I think it's when large groups of people that talk loud and exaggerate when they're high that will make coffeeshops not like you.

I guess it's not as bad as you hear it is. It's just that hard drug sales are more obvious which makes people think there's more crime. But yeah, make sure you keep your valuables in a safe place, you can't be sure, there's criminals wherever you go (in the world that is).

V

vonforne

Maastrict is the greatest. A'dam is ok Too crowded for me. And most people in the Netherlands will not judge you being american or not. its just like here...act like an asshole get treated like an asshole. right? but the thing is just have fun and be yourself. Most places are safe just use common sense and be polite and you will be allright

somoz

Veteran
i agree...........people are people no matter where your coming from......if you can relate and be good people then you will be treated as such......if your a dick........you gonna be treated like a dick.....keep your wits about ya and utilize the common sense and no worries......

i lof maastrict.............everytime i make it to NL i try and get down there......great squares......cheap booz.......friendly folks........and oh......the best fries and mayo you've ever had..........haha........haarlem is pretty awesome too..........just be savy and you have no problems bro

somoz

G

Never had a hard time in A'dam when we've been there.

No part of A'dam, or any other areas of the Netherlands, for that matter, have ever made me anywhere near as nervous as walking through Dertoit, Cleveland, Oakland, Reno, Buffalo, etc.

The closest thing to 'high risk' was a small group of young 'street urchins' right near the canal area near Dam Central Square, and Rick's Coffee Shop, that were clearly gettin' by via hustling, and offered to sell some things that we didn't need. They kept staring, wide-eyed, at a strong, zippered, belt wallet that I have that's made of a canvas-like material, and likely could've suspended several of them from it simultaneously, had they grabbed it, which I strongly suspected was on their minds. (They stared at it like a coke head watching somebody cut a line.) ;^>)

Never been into the real posh and showy cafe's there. Down home, laid back, comfy and an extensive hash menu were typically features that I sought. I kinda' like Rick's in A'dam, and Rocky's in Arnhem. Neither one would've won awards for decor, but they offered good menus and helpful people.

Arnhem is a nice town about 70 miles east by southeast of A'dam, and with lots of history there if you're interested. Less hustle and bustle. We have stayed there at a friend's, and though it lacks some of the excitement of A'dam, it is preferable to me. And fewer hustlers, too. ;^>)

Mind your business, be polite, read the social signals, ask directions when you need to, don't be naive or presumptuous, and you'll do just fine.

Regards,

moose eater :wave:

Last edited:
G

It is important that I stay in A'dam or Haarlem, I just dont want to turn a corner and walk straight into junky heaven,seeing as I will be alone ya know. I'm allways well behaved, I'm the quiet type, not a pussy but I dont like confrontation, I also purposely try not to act like a typical american, I know we are hated world wide. I am slightly less than half dutch and want to get to know more about my Dutch culture, from local people museums aren't really my thing but eventually I'll make a pitstop. Thanks for all the info guys

Moose Eater- hows the Alaskan stance on marijuana after the vote, I heard it didn't pass is this correct?

Last edited:

GoodbyeBlueSky

hah hah... don't worry about all that bs man. i assure you the junkies don't wanna mess with you any more than you want to mess with them. the worst that will happen is you will be offered drugs. if you say no than they'll generally leave you alone. they don't wanna attract attention to themselves.

basically if you aren't belligerent and offensive to people, you will be fine. people don't get robbed in the streets... too many police cameras littering the area. that being said, if you really want to avoid the seedier areas of amsterdam than i would steer clear of the north end of the red light district, that's where the druggies hang out.

honestly though, it's not as big a deal as you would think. just avoid eye contact with dope heads and you'll be left alone.

Last edited:

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
GoodbyeBlueSky said:
if you really want to avoid the seedier areas of amsterdam than i would steer clear of the north end of the red light district, that's where the druggies hang out.

honestly though, it's not as big a deal as you would think. just avoid eye contact with dope heads and you'll be left alone.

That's all you need to look out for :joint:

G

Do any of you live in Amsterdam? If so I'll be down to meet up and have a smoke, since I will know basically no-one.

Last edited:
G

Hi Dank1,

I agree with GoodByeBlueSky; causes to be frightened of addicts are truly mostly over-rated by hype. And that hype is from mostly the same persons who have brought the war on ganja. Just another of their many targets.

Re. your question re. Alaska and 'the vote,' there's lots of answers, different votes (legislative and ballot initiative, so it would need more clarification), etc. And there's a long, long, detailed history involving many different statutes and constitutional precedents.

See the 'Cannabis Laws and Politics' forum, under the thread 'Alaska Marijuana Court Victory' (an e-mail announcement from ACLU Drug Law Project attorney Allen Hopper), and the following posts, somewhere before it trails into Treadwell's 'bear-topia,' for a variety of answers and history. It's not all-inclusive, as there's some specific and meaningful precedents -not-mentioned in there, such as the Crocker Decision from a couple of years back. But it traces the general time lines, and probable coming show-down.

I don't know if they do still, considering fuel costs, etc., but KLM used to serve what I personally considered to be a higher grade of in-flight grub and beverages, and a somewhat more casual and helpful atmosphere. Only flight service I've had in the last decade that served coach class with decent fresh fruit on glass plates, and came around often enough to let you know that they were still actually on the aircraft.... which was good to know every now and then. ;^>)

Regards, and best of luck.

Last edited:
G

I have to bring my pooch, Ill have to eat peanuts until I land(lol)

Anybody ever traveled with an animal anywhere, this is a time of many firsts for me and I'm tryin to keep it togather but the anticipation has me awake at 5am and I need to gather as much info that I can. Thanks for all the help given and to come

G

I've both flown and hitch-hiked with dogs, Dank. But the only serious experience that I've had with international flights and dogs is Canada.

I know that each country often has their own sets of standards for quarantine, etc., and it would be seriously beneficial to check with Dutch Customs if you haven't already; commercial boarding during a lengthy quarantine can be -mighty- spendy, though I don't know what Holland requires, if anything, in this regard.

When I've flown convoluted or lengthy routes, I've made sure that if there were de-planings between flights by the same company, or changes between carriers, that I try to arrange the stops in my itinerary to be sufficiently long enough to gather all of my stuff on a cart, claim my pup at each stop, and hang out either on the floor of the gate area, (if necessary) or outside in the fresh air (more difficult in post-9/11 restrictions).

It's an opportunity to rub their likely-forlorn ears, assure them that they haven't been sentenced to doggy hell, and slip 'em another doggy downer if the re-dosing is in order per time-lines, and if you've decided that your dog requires said doggy downers to survive that trip (courtesy of your local veterinarian, who will also likely need to sell you a certified health certificate, considering both the commercial and international travel).

You might also check with the Dutch visitors' bureau to see what the likelihood is of finding a place to stay with your pup, assuming that you don't already have a place lined up.

My current dog's 125 lbs these days, his kennel violates union/industry size restrictions for cargo doors on most passenger jets, and aside from being a largish marshmallow of a snoozehound, likely won't be invited into any bed and breakfasts for a while. If they would only allow for a chance to get to know him... ;^>)

Regards,

Mr. Natural

I moved here over a decade ago and before we moved I spend a couple months here spread over a couple trips and did a lot of research and preparation and I still ran into a lot of problems and went through over $40k before I was able to stop dipping into my savings account.

You can legally stay here 90 days on a tourist visa, after that you have to leave (for I think 30 days min) and then you can come back for another 90. You're not allowed to work.

There are only a few ways to get a residence permit here. The easiest if you're American is to start your own business. If you make enough money every year for three years and get your temporary residence permit renewed, after the forth year you can apply to have the "only work for yourself" restriction removed. If you continue to make the minimum income and stay out of trouble for 5 years then you can apply for a permanent residence permit which is good for 5 years. With that you can live and work here and even vote in local elections.

Another way to get a residence permit is to get a work permit. To get that you have to have a job before you move here and that position has to be one that they cannot find any suitable EU candidates for and the employeer has to prove that they have looked for at least 6 months. Very few of those permits are granted.

Another way is to marry or enter a partnership with a Dutch citizen or legal resident, if it's not a real marriage or partnership you will probably be found out. They pop in unannounced and ask personal questions in seperate interviews.

Housing in Amsterdam and surrounding areas is very expensive and very difficult to find. It's like NYC, you only get a decent affordable place if you are lucky, wait a long time or if someone dies and you find out first. Most places that are available are listed through brokers and have income requirements of like 4 to 5 times the monthly rent. You have to make twice the base salary for your age group to afford a place with more than 3 rooms. Rooms, not bedrooms.

You can bring dogs or cats but they need to have a current health certificate from your vet and the shots have to be done at least a month prior to your flight and no more than a year ago.

I'm not afraid to walk anywhere around Amsterdam anytime of the day or night. If you don't want to be hassled by street dealers and hustlers I'd avoid the red light district at night. Zuidoost has some cheaper housing but it's sleazy and kind of rough imo.

Someone mentioned that the tourist area stops at 5 miles but it's more like 1 or 2 km. once you get outside the ring formed by the 5 inner canals, there's very little for tourists to do or see. Going 5 miles in most directions will put you in the middle of a field of cows.

I'll answer any specific questions that you have but I'd recommend that you at least visit her once first before you move.

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
I believe there's an area called Brugge that one should avoid...actually, I met a couple of girls from Amsterdam a few weeks ago and they said I totally shoulda checked it out...go figure...

Ok, it's not Brugge, but I believe it has a name that begins with B...

Last edited:
G

I agree with Mr Natural....I always wanted to live in Holland...when A chance for a job transfer came up I took it...by the time that happend I spend over 6 months in separte trips and the magic was over for me...once you work and the magic goes away its like being anywhere else in the world...it just becomes rutine...go to work come home smoke a bowl...go to work come home smoke a bowl...anyways not to put you down but I hope you making the right choice...its a big move and you might not be what you expected...

12284dam_047.jpg

G

I know of about 1000 flats for rent right now in Haarlem and Amsterdam, all reasonable priced, they all dont accept dogs but I'm slowly weeding them out. I cant really go before I move, I could but it would just waste money and take more time, I would have to move my things into another house, pay rent, deposit yadda, yadda, yadda.

Let me start this by saying that I am completely fed up with America, we are over ran with Mexicans our unemployment is shot because of I.A.'s, I'm sick of the world policing, starting wars for "their" best interest(I think GWB means his wallet), and last but certainly not least our dumb ass president, my god he represents us, I dont blame other countries and people for hating America the guy cant even speak without making new words, and all of his great speeches were writen by someone else, and the way he tried to cover up 9-11 and the fact that they are going to remove the staircase from ground zero, I could go on for days. My family life is shot and I only have two real friends I see everyday(I dont drive anymore) other friends I see randomly and if I stay here I will probably just end up in jail again on more weed charges, what is here to stay for?

I dont have to quarantine my dog because the US and Canada are considered "low risk countries" for rabies. If you have enough money to pay for you years rent then I think you can get a residence permit once you have entered into a housing contract for at least 6 months, there are allot of grey areas in the immigration process like the time it takes them to process it, it doesnt bother me though. There are ways to make lots of money in four months, ya know, and I can do this before I get any permits. Basically I'm entering as a tourist, going to go look at flats, pick one sign a contract, wait three months and then go apply for a resinence permit, show them I have sufficient funds and wait. Weather they let me stay is up to them but I think it will take a few months, so If I have to leave I will. But I will be making money before I leave and I'll leave with more money in my pocket and a 6 month vacation, thats not a bad deal to me.

it just becomes rutine...go to work come home smoke a bowl...go to work come home smoke a bowl.
Thats why I'm moving, I want to be free to smoke in peace and that here I cant take my weed with me(or it wouldn't be smart) so I end up staying at home allot, I'm not moving because it's Amsterdam im moving for the personal freedoms, same reason why some other ICmag members moved to the NL, really If I had to I would move to some small town, I just awant to be in A'dam or Haarlem because I have some friends that allways visit a few times a year and I want to be in the general area and be able to walk to meet them or ride the tram to A'dam. I'm sure I will be culturally shocked, and population shocked, but knowing this I can accept it not freak out about it. Thanks for all the input everyone

Last edited:
G

Hey Dank,

You seemed pretty set in your methodolgy in your original post, so I wasn't gonna' say anything, but in re. to Mr. Natural's option of 'starting a business', it can also include investing in an existing Dutch business, but the value of your investment needs to stay above a specific minimum value.

Research the Dutch American Friendship Treaty. It was gonna' be 'our' secret passport' (and still may be one day), but here and now takes priority, and New Zealand is the place most suited to my values should I pull stakes in the sub-arctic.

Multi-culturalism is prolific in the Netherlands; one of the great things I've loved about being there when I'm in the big city. You can 'eat in a differnt country' every night, without ever leaving the general vicinity. ;^>)

There are attorneys in A'dam who specialize in immigration law, and some very familiar with the Treaty referenced above..

Go ready.

Regards,

Last edited:
G

right on...you seem to know what you want and having friends around a new location is good also...I dont know all the details of you life....I hope it all works out for you...to be honest I miss America...I was born in Europe lived in america and now im back in europe...I just like to change my surroundings every 10 years or so...good luck!

GoodbyeBlueSky

good advice all around...

i agree with vortex on the whole routine thing. i lived in amsterdam for a month last year. at first it's great being able to go to all your favorite coffeeshops and enjoy all of amsterdam's quaintness. but eventually you find yourself just cursing the tourists and the fact that the city is basically packed to the brim the whole year around.

i live in the hague now and i prefer it this way. i can visit amsterdam on a whim (only 35 minutes by train) and it keeps it's alure. i don't end up feeling burnt out on it.

Haarlem is also a beautiful city which is close enough to amsterdam for the trip to not feel signifigant (15 minutes). and in the west of the country (amsterdam, haarlem, the hague, rotterdam) the trains run all night so there's no need to worry about getting home at night.

just my opinion...

a couple more things...

as far as work is concerned. an extended residence visa doesn't allow you to work in holland. getting that kind of status is nearly impossible for people outside of the E.U. likewise, you will have to prove that you can support yourself for the duration of your stay if you intend to get a residence visa.

as far as animals are concerned. when we moved here my girlfriend looked up the official website (don't know it offhand) and got together all the paperwork that was considered necessary to bring her cat here. when we walked through customs.... the didn't even bother asking for paperwork, nor did they even take a look at the cat...

Last edited: