What's new

How close to plants can 1kw hps bulb be if well cooled?

Aksala

So my room is basicly 5.5'x4.5' and I use 1x1000w hps bulb...cooled through a hood...

I'm thinking about hanging a 6" cooltube sitting on top my filter+fan in the middle of the room...

Figure I can do a back row of plants on top of 5 gallon buckets (or something else...I use 3 gallon pots they are pretty easy to handle and move around) and maybe a few more on the grow room floor stadium style...

Does this sound ok with the size of room i'm working with?

OK...so I guess the most important question I have is....how close can I get a 1kw hps bulb to my plants without burning them if its cooled well?

I'm not worried about the room itself getting any hotter than normal...my 6" votex fan can clear that rooms air pretty quick lol...had to buy a dialer to turn it down when it gets cold.

hey I think u should b good but i'd say no closer then about ten inches. my room is six ft square and i hang a 1000 under a 600 with plants around the bulbs on shelves, my rooms not much bigger then urs.

Grizz

Veteran
im running 8in cooltubes vertical with 8 plants around each one and as sub said there about 10 to 12 inches from the tubes, no burnt or bleached leaves and the buds are getting huge

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
I'm w/ Josey....I'm running 2k barebulb w/ plenty of uplift air flow to cool the bulb and there right @ 8 inches from my plants.....just soaking up the lumes.......

Aksala

Nice...I was thinking the closest they would get is like no more than 16" in some spots....so good news..

Gonna order the 6" cooltube from HTG in a few minutes...get the ball rolling...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Hang a thermometer at your canopy and you should be able to tell if it is to hot. If it is move them out, if not move them in.

drymouth

This was but a mer 3 - 4" away from the bulb
picture.php

So was this one
picture.php

as you can see the second one looks alittle more toasted i think its all strain dependent, some can be close while others can't! thought this might help. Oh, all bulbs had fans under them and personaly I dont think any strain can last that close with no fan!

Peace&good vibes!

Green Supreme

Veteran
With bare bulbs I have an area I call the sacrificial area. I let a few smaller buds get burned so the rest of the plant can get that much closer. Peace GS

revcold

when i grew barebulb 1000 watt i could get as close as about 18 inches with a a fan blowing directly on it...with a cooled reflector im about a foot or less from the canopy with no issues..use the hand test at first and just watch the tops and sides for bleaching and signs of heat stress..every strain will handle light intensity differently ..its all trial and error ..always think while u grow

aksala check ebay..i saved 30 bucks on one of my cooltubes from htg by goin through ebay instead not to mention free shipping ...i opted for a coooltube because it only weighs 12 pounds .i was gonna get the massive air cooled reflector but it weighs 40 pounds and just sounded liike bad news at the time
also if u get the cooltube from them u might have to adjust the nutts where the eye hooks are because it was creating an open hole in the reflector and had to be unscrewed and moved over to the side to plug the hole..it was a pain cuz i didnt see the hole until after i had all my venting clamped on and had to take everything apart...tellin u this to save u some time....lol..other than that and me using a larger external reflector i made ..cuz the one included was too small to my liking ..its an alright deal..im pretty sure i got mine for $65 US with free shipping..i think they want a 100 on their site

Green Supreme

Veteran
Imagine how close I would get if I used cool tubes. Thing is I pay for the lumens, so I want them all. Peace GS

Aksala

Could only imagine how hot my little room would get if the bulb wasn't cooled in the middle of summer...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
with magnetic ballasts: 12 inches

with digi ballasts: 18-24 inches

they really do burn brighter

Grizz

Veteran
with magnetic ballasts: 12 inches

with digi ballasts: 18-24 inches

they really do burn brighter
good to know screw's. personaly i dont like cool tubes but for a sealed room they are a blessing, like i said i have mine as close as 8 to 10 in from the 8in cool tube and no burning or bleaching with 1000 w hps mag ballest. thats with a 8in can fan sucking cool air from attic throug 3 lights.

D

dramamine

It's pretty easy to tell if the plant is getting too hot, but also some strains won't stop foxtailing and stacking pistils if they're too close. This turns a fat, solid cola into a fluffy one. Just another variable to think about...

Latest posts

Latest posts