What's new

DOT moves to ban e-cigarettes on planes

budbasket

I remember a thread being on here a week or 2 ago about med users vaping on airplanes.....

Puffing on electronic cigarettes is already a no-no on flights, but the government wants there to be no doubt. The Department of Transportation is proposing to explicitly ban the use of the devices on planes.
"Airline passengers have rights, and this new rule would enhance passenger comfort and reduce any confusion surrounding the use of electronic cigarettes in flight," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
Electronic cigarettes look like the real thing, but they're actually battery-operated devices that turn nicotine into a vapor that is inhaled by the user, according to the FDA.
They're a potential cause for concern because "there is a lack of scientific data and knowledge of the ingredients in electronic cigarettes," the DOT said.
But the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association criticized the move, insisting that the devices only emit water vapor.
"It makes absolutely zero sense," said Ray Story, the group's CEO.
"It only gives the smoker a dosage of nicotine, but it doesn't do anything else to the innocent bystander. ... I have sat next to people who wore a particular type of cologne that was far more intrusive than what this particular product is."
The DOT believes its current ban on smoking of tobacco products is broad enough to include electronic cigarettes, but wants to eliminate any confusion.
Some airline passengers have been "vaping" on planes, convinced that the devices are exempt from the ban.
In July, a Sandy, Utah, man was arrested after an altercation that began when he started using an electronic cigarette on board a Southwest Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Salt Lake City.
The story prompted hundreds of comments from CNN.com readers, many defending electronic cigarettes and arguing they're a smoke-free way to provide relief for passengers suffering from nicotine withdrawals during a flight.
"The problem is not with the people using this device, but with the people around them who are psychologically affected by the fact that it LOOKS like a cigarette and someone is sucking on it," one commenter wrote.
But others worried about the safety of using the devices at 35,000 feet, as well as their health effects on others.
"I sat next to someone who was e-smoking and it's impossible to contain all of the nicotine mist. I don't want to breathe that stuff and shouldn't have to sit next to someone one a plane who is spewing chemically loaded mist. Get a patch or nicotine gum if your addiction is that bad," a commenter wrote.
The DOT's proposed rule would apply to all U.S. and foreign airlines on scheduled flights to and from the United States. Officials are also considering whether to extend the ban on smoking to charter flights.
Amtrak has already banned the use of e-cigarettes on trains and in any area where smoking is prohibited, the DOT said, and the U.S. Navy doesn't allow them below decks in submarines.
The government will accept public comments on the proposal until November 14.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/15/travel/electronic-cigarettes-ban/index.html?hpt=hp_bn12

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Yet corporations are allowed to spew billions of tons of crud into our air, no questions asked.......

ijim

We live in a world addicted to media and for profit fueled hysterics. Where speculation becomes fact and fact becomes political correctness. And the truth depends on who has the deepest pockets.

mrcreosote

Veteran
So there will be a market for my nicotine suppository invention after all.

No farting in flight or you may be in violation of DOT rules.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
I work with a lot of guys that smoke e-cigs now and all of them smoke at the bar since our state has a cigarette ban. The e-cogs don't bother me at all and frankly I'm tired of the government sticking its nose in everything.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I support the ban on using them in planes, unknowing non-smokers will be troubled as well as other smokers that don't have their own e-cigs.

If you can't resist getting your nicotine buzz on at the expense of other peoples comforts then fuck you.......

RudolfTheRed

Veteran

I support the ban on using them in planes, unknowing non-smokers will be troubled as well as other smokers that don't have their own e-cigs.

If you can't resist getting your nicotine buzz on at the expense of other peoples comforts then fuck you.......

Godforbid a couple non-smokers feel uncomforable over an electronic cigarette that is essentially nothing but vapor. I fail to see how puffing on vapor is being done at the expense of anyone else and frankly it should be up to the airline not our shorthand politicians.

I mean I'm sure the same is said by non-cannabis users about us. I also don't give a fuck about your comfort if im not hurting anyone and I have yet to see anything otherwise about ecigs damaging others health.
I
Were in the middle of a finacual crisis and this is wha people worry about a couple old men puffing vapor on a plane? Fuck that shit.

MIway

Veteran
well its back to valium and booze when flying i guess

done the japan seattle flight a few times... 12 hours w/o... pretty much becomes the only thing you think about... lol

pull it back so hard so fast once landed... gives u a head rush, dizzy & all... ;-)

easy solution... form a line to the bathrooms... vape up... no one is insulted at the sight of another person with an addiction, cuz not like they don't have any... ;-)

schwilly

I wouldn't care if someone puffed an e cig next to me on a flight.

You gotta recognize that trying to cause people nic fits is not the reasoning behind this.

A device that produces a vapor could be dangerous in a confined area like a plane. That vapor could be ricin, a nerve agent, anthrax, or some other bio agent. Not likely, but it could be. This is just the way flying is now. Charter your own plane if you want to roast a bone in-flight. Or make edibles if you need something to take your mind off the stinking recirculated air, the screaming infants, or the fatass in the next seat spilling over onto you.

I understand that this sucks for people that need cannabis continually as medicine. They just need to find other ways to medicate for the flight.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Godforbid a couple non-smokers feel uncomforable over an electronic cigarette that is essentially nothing but vapor. I fail to see how puffing on vapor is being done at the expense of anyone else and frankly it should be up to the airline not our shorthand politicians.

I mean I'm sure the same is said by non-cannabis users about us. I also don't give a fuck about your comfort if im not hurting anyone and I have yet to see anything otherwise about ecigs damaging others health.
I
Were in the middle of a finacual crisis and this is wha people worry about a couple old men puffing vapor on a plane? Fuck that shit.

the only people that know exactly what an e-cig is would be the idiots using them, now go explain what an e-cig is to the ENTIRE plane load of passengers that assume smoking is unlawful on planes, you cannot expect to use something like that without taking some flak.

now lets say you see something strapped to my chest while in mid-flight, looks like dynamite but it isn't....... according to your mindset THAT would be good to go regardless of the fools that can't tell the difference between a flare and a stick of dynamite. absolutely harmless right? fuck their comfort.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
easy solution... form a line to the bathrooms... vape up... no one is insulted at the sight of another person with an addiction, cuz not like they don't have any... ;-)

excellent choice, bathroom buzz w/your e-cig. it won't set off the smoke alarm and it won't make others uncomfortable on the plane if they can't see it.

bentom187

Veteran

if this where done by the private airplane company its their right,but when a govt agencey comes into a prvate one and starts issuing rules and regulations its purley for tax money.

yes they will play on arbitrary emotions for arbitrary passengers.

what is so impossible if your next to somone to ask them nicley to refreign it makes you uncomfortable,not have the govt do it.
the govt doesnt protect your rights it makes a proffit from violating them.

its one of the biggest problems we have too much govt.

supermanlives

Veteran
well just hope yall dont end up sitting next to me when i am having a nicotine fit. better hope i am medicated . yall dont complain about all the taxes we pay on ciggies that fund just about everything but sick and dying users. i am way more offended by people that wear too much perfume /cologne and thats legal.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if this where done by the private airplane company its their right,but when a govt agencey comes into a prvate one and starts issuing rules and regulations its purley for tax money.

yes they will play on arbitrary emotions for arbitrary passengers.

what is so impossible if your next to somone to ask them nicley to refreign it makes you uncomfortable,not have the govt do it.
the govt doesnt protect your rights it makes a proffit from violating them.

its one of the biggest problems we have too much govt.

the govt had to step in to stop smoking in certain areas, elevators were first as they were the most confined spaces that people travelled together in, planes were certainly going to be next as not only is the space confined but the air is continually recirculated, not fresh.

so if I ask the person next to me to refrain from e-cigging because it makes me uncomfortable they'll tell me that's EXACTLY why they're using the device, their own comfort, nerves, addiction etc. I potentially see a fight breaking out on every flight. but if the govt says NO & you disobey that rule you likely will get fined and maybe worse, told you cannot fly ever again. the threat/thought of this penalty keeps the air clean.

Sour Deez

excellent choice, bathroom buzz w/your e-cig. it won't set off the smoke alarm and it won't make others uncomfortable on the plane if they can't see it.

just dont end up like these guys..

[YOUTUBEIF]42M-_GJvpGM[/YOUTUBEIF]

Also i agree with the article, someone loaded up with cologne/perfume would bother me way more then some water vapor.

bentom187

Veteran
"the govt had to step in" on what grounds did they get the authority ? where did they step into ? they stepped in on private companies,that could make their own policies if its that bad. instead of using one wide sweeping paintbush of regulations on everyones rights.
well you can only ask.
whats umcomfortable about e-cigs if ya dont mind me askin ?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also i agree with the article, someone loaded up with cologne/perfume would bother me way more then some water vapor.

very true, especially the cheap stuff. one thing to consider is that the fragrance may be hiding something worse in which case there's also no excuse for uncleanliness. don't eat at the Taco Bell before flying.......

tacoHELL.jpg

supermanlives

Veteran
"the govt had to step in" on what grounds did they get the authority ? where did they step into ? they stepped in on private companies,that could make their own policies if its that bad. instead of using one wide sweeping paintbush of regulations on everyones rights.
well you can only ask.
whats umcomfortable about e-cigs if ya dont mind me askin ?

aint all flights federal even tho they are privitely owned. i mean they controll the airspace and regulations. flying used to be fun ,now it sucks so much i have driven crosscountry just to avoid all the bullshit.

Latest posts

Latest posts