What's new

IRS Demanding Blood Money...

vta

Veteran
IRS demanding blood money from collectives? No cost of goods deduction?
Posted by Mickey Martin

The tax man audited us for 2004. Our investigation began in 2005. Coincidence? I think not. The feds are ubiquitous really. This is part of the real problem with the system. Because it is marijuana you are not allowed to even pay your taxes right or entitled to a cost of goods tax because of these archaic laws. Unbelievable.

Congress Critters Seek IRS Clarification

by Caren Woodson

…And the hits just keep coming!

Despite the DOJ memo and our best efforts the federal government continues to engage innovative tactics to continue their campaign of interference with state medical marijuana laws. The latest tactic is to use an antiquated tax code to prohibit medical marijuana dispensing facilities from taking IRS deductions and credits attributed to amounts paid or incurred during the taxable year. ASA has confirmed that several medical cannabis collectives in California are now being (and have in the past been) targeted by this very law under the guise of federal tax audits. These “audits” seem to be unfairly applied, especially as they appear to target the largest collectives serving the greatest percentage of the population.

For the patients who rely on the access to medicine these collectives provide, enforcement of this provision could result in a number of unanticipated consequences. Without doubt, collectives will be forced to raise the cost of medicine and services in order to compensate for the loss of a deduction/credit. It’s possible that some collectives may simply stop filing federal tax returns, which may jeopardize the integrity of the collective and put patients in harm’s way. And, in the worst case, collectives will simply shut their doors, forcing what are otherwise well regulated facilities back to the underground.

To combat this issue ASA has enlisted the leadership of Congressman Pete Stark (D-CA), known as one of the nation’s foremost advocates of tax reform. Mr. Stark has championed a “Request for a Revenue Ruling on Allowing Legal Marijuana Dispensaries to Take Trade or Business Deductions.” Mr. Stark and a handful of Congressional colleagues who also serve as senior members of the relevant oversight committees including Ways & Means, Joint Taxation, Banking, and Judiciary have cosigned a letter requesting that the IRS issue a revenue ruling – or similar pronouncement upon which all taxpayers may rely – concerning deductions for medical marijuana dispensaries.

The Revenue Request represents an initial step toward a final solution and ASA will continue our dialogue with Congress and Administration officials about this issue. These ongoing and indirect tactics underscore a need for Congress to provide a solution to the growing divide between state and federal laws concerning the use of marijuana for medical purposes. In the meantime, PLEASE visit the following webpages and offer these allies your personal thanks and sincere appreciation for their leadership on this important issue.

Cheerful

The last sentence says "....please visit the following webpages...."

??? got any web addresses?? BTW thanks for keeping us all up on this stuff, you've been posting some fascinating stuff!

vta

Veteran
The last sentence says "....please visit the following webpages...."

??? got any web addresses?? BTW thanks for keeping us all up on this stuff, you've been posting some fascinating stuff!

oops...must be the hash, it sometimes effects my cut/pasting abilities :)

The links are for the guys/gal below....they link to gov servers....you can get them and a couple more from the original article here: ASA

Congressman Pete Stark (D-CA/13)

Congressman Sam Farr (D-CA/17)

Congressman Raul Grijalva (D-AZ/7)

Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA/4)

Congresswoman Linda Sanchez (D-CA/39)

Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO/2)

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Am I missing something here?

I don't understand why this would come of any surprise.

I'll preface this by saying I obviously don't agree with the Fed's stance as it pertains to marijuana, but we ALL know what the current rules/stance is. To go against it, especially when it comes to tax returns, is like a jew in WWII wearing a star of david tshirt on the streets of Germany.

Any collective that tries to claim additional deductions/credits doesn't have a good accountant.

When I had a collective, I had an accountant who represented dozens of brick and mortor clinics and only one had been audited, and it passed with flying colors.

You can't do anything special. You have to pay sales tax, and correct tax based on the income. You can't apply for/claim non profit federally.

I'm guessing these audits aren't "random". They are probably people doing something wrong when it comes to filing their federal taxes.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
132483365v6_225x225_Front.jpg

irs.gif

Midnight

Veteran
I wonder if they are planning on auditing the person/persons that actually supply the bud to the collective?

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
I wonder if they are planning on auditing the person/persons that actually supply the bud to the collective?

Highly doubtful.

When a provider drops off medicine to the collective, technically for your own safety you are supposed to have the owner of the collective sign a form that states the collective will indeed be charging the customer sales tax and thus you as the provider are not required to do so.

Because collectives are all private (and tend to be shitty with paperwork) this never happens but it doesn't change the fact that so long as the collective charges sales tax on your medicine they bought from you, you are in the clear.

Also, from my experience, most collectives don't even write down the providers name/info so they most likely couldn't even find you if they wanted to.

B

Ben Tokin

This is a very poor response by Stark. It's Congress that creates legislation for tax rules, NOT the IRS. Stark is simply making it look like he is doing the over-taxed payers a favor, when in fact he is simply trying to PLAY them.

It is Congress that makes the laws. They should know how these laws should be interpreted, not the IRS. And, if the laws are unjust or unfair he should correct them and not play these games with his constituents.

Midnight

Veteran
This is a very poor response by Stark. It's Congress that creates legislation for tax rules, NOT the IRS. Stark is simply making it look like he is doing the over-taxed payers a favor, when in fact he is simply trying to PLAY them.

It is Congress that makes the laws. They should know how these laws should be interpreted, not the IRS. And, if the laws are unjust or unfair he should correct them and not play these games with his constituents.

LOL..These are politicians you are talking about. None of that will come to pass!! Well...except for the playing games part.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when I was a teenager, I asked my dad what the scariest US government agency was the CIA, The FBI, or the NSA. he said the IRS. they have the ability to twist tax laws, screw you over, and though you in Jail no matter who you are. And they will do it over as little as a dollar.

Just one of countless examples of why our government needs a massive cleaning, and then shrinking in size.

Latest posts

Latest posts