What's new

Pacific Island state Legalize Cannabis

SobStory

Looks like the boys from Saipan pulled it off where the Californians couldnt

Despite dire threats from the US Government promising to hold back $10 million in aid, the voters of the Northern Marianas Islands decided to legalize cannabis!

Not only will this be a boon to their fragile local economy, it is a delightful slap in the face for their draconian drug lords in the USA. This is the first time a territory of the US or state has legalized cannabis since it was scheduled a class 1 drug.

Mana By-election candidate for the Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party, Julian Crawford, is welcoming news that cannabis legalisation is taking hold in the pacific region.
The Marianas Islands, last week, became the first pacific country to pass a cannabis legalisation bill through parliament. The bill passed despite threats from the US to revoke over US$10 million in aid to the Islands.
"Cannabis Legalisation in the Marianas will significantly boost tourism in the region as well as undermining the black market profits associated with Cannabis," he said.
Mr Crawford hopes that other pacific islands will follow suit once they see the profound economic and social benefits of cannabis reform. "I believe that a prohibition free zone could be established in the pacific just as was done with the nuclear issue. New Zealand could play a key role in establishing such a zone," he said.
The Mana electorate has a very high pacific population as well as soaring levels of unemployment. "I hope that voters in Mana will support the Cannabis Party at the ballot box once they see their pacific neighbours endorsing legalisaton, regulation and taxation of cannabis as a way to boost their economies," he concluded.

http://www.voxy.co.nz/politics/pacific-island-passes-cannabis-legalisation-bill/5/71934

C

CANNATOPIA

Great News! Now if we can only get stupid people in the States to wake up. Nice post!

spurr

Veteran
thanks for the heads up, I was thinking bout moving back to the islands, and I might have to check out Saipan

spurr

Veteran
Unfortunately:

A bill to legalize the use of marijuana in the Northern Mariana Islands has been resoundingly defeated by the Senate of the U.S. commonwealth.

The Saipan Tribune reports the measure was killed Friday on a 7-0 vote of the nine-member Senate. The House earlier approved the bill 10-7.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/business/2010/11/northern-mariana-islands-senate-kills-pot-bill

Fuc*~! Who cares about the will of the people anyway, I was being stupid I guess because I thought it was a democracy.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Well, there you go, the US still trying to push the world around. I really truly hate to say it but I have realized our Federal Government is borderline evil.

VirginHarvester

Veteran
Fuc*~! Who cares about the will of the people anyway, I was being stupid I guess because I thought it was a democracy.

We invade Afghanistan and heroin exports increase significantly-cutting political deals that will eventually likely kill and enslave thousands for cooperation in our "war against terror"- but our Federal Government has to punish countries to coerce them from well, I guess self determination.

When you see our government for what it is you can become pretty cynical, and with good reason.

We invade Afghanistan and heroin exports increase significantly-cutting political deals that will eventually likely kill and enslave thousands for cooperation in our "war against terror"- but our Federal Government has to punish countries to coerce them from well, I guess self determination.

When you see our government for what it is you can become pretty cynical, and with good reason.

not being a dick but you understand we do the same thing, in cooperation with the IMF and the World Bank, for legal commodities. Corn, coffee, everything. WE (U.S. led IMF, World Bank; the "west") come in and destroy all local profits and enslave the people with debt. Jamaica and South America are great examples.

Again if you knew this cool. disregard. (I'm sure you did, but this is nice example for the masses)
if you didn't, there are bigger problems than heroin.

Peace

BrainSellz

Veteran
Unfortunately:

A bill to legalize the use of marijuana in the Northern Mariana Islands has been resoundingly defeated by the Senate of the U.S. commonwealth.

The Saipan Tribune reports the measure was killed Friday on a 7-0 vote of the nine-member Senate.

Its in the word commonwealth "come on wealth" .......

Not even one yes vote:(

Yggdrasil

I cannot express how unimpressed i am with our government at this time...

"all we are saying, is give peace a chance"

yggg

westcoast547

Both of my parents are from Saipan. And, Saipan is where I really developed my green thumb, as a kid. I learned how to grow by growing the local sativas over there. I know for a fact that the federal government has barley anything to do with Saipan. It is part of a Commonwealth known as The CNMI. Which includes all of the Northern Mariana Islands including Guam. Saipan governs it's own laws, because the local Chamorro people never wanted the Feds to take over anything on our island. We continue to turn Federal assistance down, so we can continue to govern ourselves. Minimum wage in Saipan is only $3.00/hr, if the feds were really in control...then we would be paid the federal minimum wage. So there is a chance that Saipan may choose to legalize even though they don't have the support of the Feds. I haven't talked to my friends back home in a while, but last i heard... they told me they were trying to legalize for medicine. I never heard anything about legalizing for recreational use, yet. But, like I said...I haven't talked to the boys in a few months, so my info may be a little out of date. But, as far as I know, it's for medical use only.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Unfortunately:

The Saipan Tribune reports the measure was killed Friday on a 7-0 vote of the nine-member Senate. The House earlier approved the bill 10-7.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/business/2010/11/northern-mariana-islands-senate-kills-pot-bill
how does the senate vote against the will of the people, should the senate not be thrown out??? the people don't seem to be ruling

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was happy to read the first post then it went down hill. If they would have had the balls they would have made that 10m no problem in tourism and other products.

westcoast547

Here are some links from The Marianas Variety. The more popular local newspaper in Saipan. This is what actual Chamorro people from Saipan have to say about this. And these are from people with government jobs, too. The first link explains how the thing about us being scared about loosing 10 million from the government is all bull sh*t. Those are the fears of one single politician who was against the bill from the beginning. Like I said before, most Chamorros can give a f*ck about the federal government. They don't run our islands. We do.

http://www.mvariety.com/2010111732043/letter-to-the-editor/letter-to-the-editor-coconut-madness.php

http://www.mvariety.com/20101110318...letter-to-the-editor-why-we-should-part-i.php

http://www.mvariety.com/20101111318...etter-to-the-editor-why-we-should-part-ii.php

Latest posts

Latest posts