What's new

Root Rot...any thoughts.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Hello folks. I just transplanted my 4 week old vegetating plants from one gallon pots to 7 gallon pots. I am going to veg them for another few weeks before i switch to flower. when these plants were cloned, the cloner got too warm(summertime) and some root slime killed some of them and probably infected them all.
Any tips on how to nurse those roots back to health?

I am and have been using sm-90 and Roots Excellerator for the roots. I just switched from EbbFlow to DTW.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

mg75

Sorry to inform you that you will need new mothers/clones... preferably start from seeds.
I had root-rot in coco and everything got infected... not to mention the fungus gnuts spread it in the coco as well.

you can nurse the plants back to health but your yield will suffer. Do not use clones from an infected mother. They will carry the disease.

Nothing will cure advanced root-rot. All those "medicines" will only keep it in check.

you can kill it....ive had it couple times before...not to mention a new development of it a week ago....i turned the lamp off mid day and the humidity must have spiked along with 0 absorption/evaporation from the saucer under the one plant i had with a saucer.....use a SHITLOAD of hydrogen peroxide.....im using 15ml per gal right now....its pretty much cleared....you can know its presence by the raaank smell in the rootzone/bottom of the pot....been watering it lately dump a fat cup of hydrogen peroxide laden water up top....smell the bottom as it comes out....smells like nothing....therefore shits gone IMO...im using heavy doses of hygrozyme as well......

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
mg75 thanks for the tough words. I have no problem getting rid of my moms as i am starting a seed run to find new ones anyway. More concerned with the plants about to flower...

Buddin thats good news. Do you mix the peroxide right in with your food and water with it everytime you feed? I have just hit them with a drench using physan20, but that stuff is pretty toxic and i won't use it regularly. I was going to now use my regular feed mixture with some multizyme added to it. Hope that helps things along.

Thanks folks for chiming in.

yes please start applying hydro perox immediately at high doses 15ml/gal with your feed. only do this for maybe a week....(it should be gone by then if you caught it in time) and then discontinue for about 3 days...then IMO you need to reincoulate your coco with mycor. or bacteria or whatever your into. AN pirahna over here

a little update on my case......turns out, 1 week after 1st notice of root rot, the plant started wilting off all the inner leaves touching the stem or deep in buds....had to pull it immediaitely....it probably was going to start rotting out the buds any fucking second so better now(early) than ruined.....

mg75

when your plants stop drinking and you wonder why the coco stays wet... you have advanced root-rot. it's too late by then. they will never be the same... although you can "nurse" them into a mediocre harvest. better something than nothing.

plants not drinking, yellowing leaves, large fan leaves dropping early, stunted growth, and rancid smell from roots are all indicators. some plants with root rot will actually try to finish faster and develop more crystals more rapidly. don't believe the hype... they are not more potent and the stress does not make them better.

over-watering/standing water are probably the 2 main causes of root-rot. fungus gnats love wet coco coir and will transmit the disease to other plants. I know this from first hand experience.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
beneficial bacteria such as aquashield that are hydroponic compatible will solve that problem

mg75

a little update on my case......turns out, 1 week after 1st notice of root rot, the plant started wilting off all the inner leaves touching the stem or deep in buds....had to pull it immediaitely....it probably was going to start rotting out the buds any fucking second so better now(early) than ruined.....

I don't think root-rot causes bud-rot. I have seen 700 plants all infected with root rot. They were all harvested and non had bud-rot.

It is a resilient plant which will produce even under the worst conditions & diseases.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
update

update

Here is a little update. Thanks ya'll for chiming in.

Over the last six days i have been feeding these plants with
gh6/9
1ml roots excellerator
3ml sm-90
10 ml 3% hydrogen peroxide

The roots are beginning to pop out the bottom after six days in the new 7 gallon smart pots. They are white and furry where they are growing. The plants are still a bit droopy and not completely stoked, but that may be from the scale they are battling as well.
I have dug down a bit on the sides of some pots and dont see roots there. Usually with the roots excel the roots pop out quick. So i will continue with the hydrogen for at leat another week and then reassess.

I am waiting on two more packs of seeds from sbay and then i am popping 7-8 packs and starting my mother search over.

avalon it sounds like you may have made it out alive??!?!?

great thread so far.....

and yes i dont think root rot CAUSES bud rot....but when my little trim leaves start wilting from the inside....i KNOW what happens next...i had to immediately pull and quick dry for the most part

Greenmopho

I wouldn't use SM-90 and H202 in combination with the H&G Root Excellorator. The Root Excel uses all sorts of beneficial bacteria, and the H202 will just kill it. They are counter active, and you are just wasting the (expensive) root excellorator. I would run H202 and SM-90 for a few weeks, underfeed/underwater, try to let the medium dry just a little.

When the plants look better, start the Root Excel and other beneficials, and stop using H2O2 and SM-90. I would also try to use some Hygrozyme and Aquashield (Aquashield only without the H202 and SM-90).

Also, check out these threads below and see if they help ya out:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=176373
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55259

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Greenmopho thanks for sharing. Though i have never heard of any beneficial bacteria in Roots excel. It certainly makes no mention of it on the bottle and it also works fine with heavily chlorinated water. Can you point me to where i can learn more about it?
Also sm-90 claims to work just fine with beneficial bacteria. read a thread on it sometime ago.

I am also using some multi-zyme in my resevoirs which i forgot to mention. 4ml a gallon. Try to clean up the dead roots a bit.

Thanks for participating in this thread folks.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i had root rot in my mpb buckets, lost most my plants until i found out about bleach. 1 ml per gallons of nutrient, root rot will be gone...

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
krunch is it safe to run for a week? That way i will add it to my resevoir on the next change.
Or did you just use it once?
Thanks.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i continue to run it as long as my plant grows, adding 1 ml per gallon every other day, roots stay nice and healthy.

mrdizzle

krunch do you mean 1 ml per 10gal? or have you kicked it up a notch to 1ml per gal with no ill effects? 1ml per gal really isnt that much, shit they recommend 1.25ml per gal to purify drinking water

Greenmopho

Bleach is good, it will kill root rot and brown algae, but will also kill your beneficials. You could use the bleach regiment instead of the H202, or even both together.

I'm pretty sure that the Roots Excel does have some live cultures in it. I mean just look at the light proof double sealed metal bottle, the contents are a very dark, rich, thick liquid that smells of "organic" ingredients. If you leave the bottle open or partly sealed, or even spill a little puddle of it, you will notice that it will start growing a little mucous membrane or something like it. House and Garden is pretty secretive with it's ingredients, but one could logically assume that this product isn't just dissolved mineral salts...

mg75

I think that the issue might be the coco medium being used. It is very hard to get the spores out of any soil or soilless (coco) medium.
Flushing a recirculating medium-less or clay rocks system is much easier (MBP).
Maybe you can submerge the whole base of the plant in bleach/h202/water mix. You should also sanitize the pot in which the plant sits in. If you have a lot of gnats, they might spread it too.

Once root rot get advanced and travels up the stem (and you see a lot of symptoms on the plant itself), I don't really know of a permanent cure... just medicine to keep it in check until you harvest.
I would not use clones or re-veg the plant. Start new and sanitize everything.

I am saying all this from experience and research I have done due to the problem.

Latest posts

Latest posts