What's new

sobriety who's doing it

shawkman

nice read, booze is poison, taking almost 49 years to embrace that, caffine and nicotine are crazy stimulant addictions too, they can ruin lives also .
i liked how the one guy said the bacteria raised his conscousness and now he stopped weed too, i really abuse the precious cannabis, i smoke it all day. i love the weed but i might try the only smoke in the evening soon, im trying to find a job ugggg.
i abused food also for years like the one guy , psycadelics realy opened up my eyes on poisoning the avatar isnt good, this is our ride so dont fuck it up.
lifestyle choices made from an inner spiritual or mystical experience , like the insides changed so i dont even crave the garbage too much unless im around others doing it, hermit life is amazingly healthy but almost fataly lonely . so theres a happy medium like jesus says ," be in the world not of the owrld , go and dont doeth that shit no more " Shawk 3:16

nice thread, maybe 1 month sober, i was 10 months no beers but oopsie

h.h.

Veteran
Make no claim to sobriety - cancer resulted my making a lot changes.
Been amazed by the extent of change that we can adjust to when needed.
Think it may be the coffee that I miss the most.
As someone who quit stuff over medical issues,
I have to take my hat off to the friends of Bill
crew. Am left with a good deal of respect for
them.

It’s the coffee that keeps me living in society. If I could grow my own. Then I’d need a milk cow anyway.

I won’t say I’m sober. Marijuana is the one vice I allow myself. Never thought of it as illegal. Just thought the laws should be.

imiubu

As far as booze... I eased away from it around the age of 30 and rarely imbibe since. I was a serious social drinker and hit the clubs
3-4-5 times a week before getting serious about buying a home and 'settling down'.
Began making lacto about 5yrs. ago. Big step in cultivating healthier gut flora and clearing my brain fog.
Began making bone broth and drinking a cup daily about 10yrs. ago for the collagen to ease joint pain.

After a really effed up 2019, I began to quit processed sugars to further push a healthier lifestyle.
Sigh, sugar is the true poison and it's a beast to quit but... I rarely crave it these days.
The most difficult addiction to give up was my sugar sweetened hazelnut flavored coffee creamer, seriously... it still tempts me at times.
I now simply ride out those rare 15 seconds cravings when they do come along.
The store where I shopped the creamer began carrying a "sugar free" version which was a pretty easy transition and the sugar 'alternative' was acceptable. Recently they changed supplier and the new stuff has sucralose, ffs. I'd use processed sugar before I'd use that particular poison, sigh.
Now my morning coffee is not sweet at all and I am enjoying (for the first time ever) experimenting w/ different coffee's and enjoy discovering
the true flavor of the bean.

2020 comes along and I made the choice to stop cigs after 37yrs. Decided they are not essential and just up and quit on 4/8/20 never to look back.
I eat whole foods avoiding processed. I eat lots of healthy fats and meat. I do not care much for fish yet need those Omega's sooo...
I have researched and incorporated 2 cans of water packed, sustainably caught, low mercury smoked fish each week. Kipper snacks have become
a fan fave around here.
Along the way, I have lost nearly 25lbs. this past year and need not loose more. Am super healthy and am concentrating on toning/ tightening loose
skin and strength training. Also... HIIT has become a thing around here too... gotta get those growth hormones kicking in.
I became much more active as the lbs. came off and have much less pain.
The pain won't ever be 'gone' due to some ouchy injuries but hey... for an old gal... I'm perty spry these days.

Along the way I've also gained clarity into toxic relationships and have just recently removed the last vestiges of the EV's (emotional vampires)
from my life. It is so flipping satisfying to set healthy boundaries for myself and watch as they duck n run looking for a new source. Woo woo!
The sense of freedom that comes w/ cutting the chaff is beyond rewarding... it is unbelievably exhilarating.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
...............Along the way I've also gained clarity into toxic relationships and have just recently removed the last vestiges of the EV's (emotional vampires)
from my life. It is so flipping satisfying to set healthy boundaries for myself and watch as they duck n run looking for a new source. Woo woo!
The sense of freedom that comes w/ cutting the chaff is beyond rewarding... it is unbelievably exhilarating.

.......... toxic relationships definitely impede sobriety and mental health but it's so hard to ditch 'em when the misplaced empathy/compassion kicks in, especially for women who've been taught alla their lives by religion, family and society to 'turn the other cheek' and sacrifice themselves for a higher good and take care of others.

.................... the self imposed guilt trip is the hardest part, do the right thing or look out for #1, which call to make? :shucks:

.............................. yesterday I received 6 frantic calls from 1 vampire which I didn't answer, soon enough he'll be in jail or a psych ward, it's an eventuality that's beyond my control and I just have to accept that fact.:clock watch:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There is a quit drinking thread somewhere here. I quit the beer almost years ago, and never looked back. Saving a ton of money, lost a bunch of weight. Most of all I am not getting injured frombeing stoopit and drunk, which is good. I do not heal as fast as I used to, and don't want to be old and hurting any more than I already do.

In my case I kinda substituted carbs for the booze, and got hooked on Spicy Nacho Doritos. Good thing there is a national shortage of them now. Nobody wants to work at the factory LOL.

Sunshineinabag

Good thread!!!

I've given up pot, at least until the current grow in finished in 6 weeks after which I will microdose 1 -2 hits in the evening.

Never drank alcohol so nothing to give up there. ;)

1 cuppa caffeine and the rest decafe.

I've been able to do this easily by flooding my endocannabinoid system with Lactobacillus species for several months - no withdrawal symptoms like in the past, easy/peasy! :dance:

Micro dose meh baby:peacock:

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sobriety is something you need to build a tolerance for … Only do a little bit of it at a time to get used to it:biggrin: I’m 60 years old plus & been high since 1973 … oops

h.h.

Veteran
Are toxic relationships addictive? It seems some folks go from one to another, especially women. Perhaps it’s something else. I don’t get it.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Are toxic relationships addictive? It seems some folks go from one to another, especially women. Perhaps it’s something else. I don’t get it.

:flowers2:LOL, it couldn't be the fact that there's a plethora of toxic peeps in the world, could it? :whistling:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
There is a quit drinking thread somewhere here. I quit the beer almost years ago, and never looked back. Saving a ton of money, lost a bunch of weight. Most of all I am not getting injured frombeing stoopit and drunk, which is good. I do not heal as fast as I used to, and don't want to be old and hurting any more than I already do.

In my case I kinda substituted carbs for the booze, and got hooked on Spicy Nacho Doritos. Good thing there is a national shortage of them now. Nobody wants to work at the factory LOL.

got lots of Doritos on shelf here. want me to box you up a few bags?

armedoldhippy

Veteran

i've seen women go from one wifebeater to the next, and ignore men who wouldn't dream of smacking them. they go from "ah, he wouldn't do that" to "i can't believe you hit me!" so fucking fast it'll make your head spin...

CaptainDankness

I started sobering up after my daughter was born, stopped shooting up just before she was born and started weening down on the opiates, took a few years before I successfully went cold turkey, was drinking a bit until a few years ago, now I might have a couple drinks but I'm not drinking a bottle of whiskey and very rarely. Quit cigarettes too, lungs have never felt better. Weed just doesn't bother my lungs like tobacco.

Now I just smoke weed, work and workout also my wife gives me a lot more pussy since I stopped drinking and partying so much, lost like 80lbs too. I will take a Percocet occasionally definitely not enough to get addicted again, but I do still like the high but no more than once or twice a month.

imiubu

h.h. Quote function currently isn't functioning for imi.

10-17-2021, 12:13
"Are toxic relationships addictive? It seems some folks go from one to another, especially women. Perhaps it’s something else. I don’t get it."

Short answer: yes.
It is considered a co dependency in the world of behavioral science.

Oddly enough, I discovered what the term "gas lighting" meant in terms of unhealthy manipulative behavior on a weed forum about 2012.
While sharing a few garden tips and canna recipes in PM with a site member who is male, he shared that his wife had been gas lighting him for years.
He went on to describe the behavior and how he thought he was going crazy. After approx. 5yrs. of this, he sought out answers and help.
They are now divorced and he is recovering. It is not only women who fall prey to these type of personalities unfortunately.
That conversation led me to find answers for my (then) current partner of 10yrs. When that infamous 'light bulb" moment came,
I began freeing myself.

AFAIU; addiction comes in many forms yet the underlying cause is rarely genetic and is environmental at it's root.
We are so often raised by emotionally dysregulated ppl and this is cyclic in nature.

I added my journey towards emotional 'sobriety' in my original post, as IMO, it is important to realize that removing
unhealthy behaviors/ addictions from our lives is the first step to finding our joy.

I am currently living the best version of myself and am practicing healthier choices with a whole mind/ body/ spirit- soul approach.
Recognizing my co dependencies and removing the emotional vampires from my life, was the most difficult 'addiction' to over come
yet remains the most freeing experience of my entire life.

Important to note (IMO) that "sobriety" includes emotional independence/ freedom :)

h.h.

Veteran
h.h. Quote function currently isn't functioning for imi.

10-17-2021, 12:13
"Are toxic relationships addictive? It seems some folks go from one to another, especially women. Perhaps it’s something else. I don’t get it."

Short answer: yes.
It is considered a co dependency in the world of behavioral science.

Oddly enough, I discovered what the term "gas lighting" meant in terms of unhealthy manipulative behavior on a weed forum about 2012.
While sharing a few garden tips and canna recipes in PM with a site member who is male, he shared that his wife had been gas lighting him for years.
He went on to describe the behavior and how he thought he was going crazy. After approx. 5yrs. of this, he sought out answers and help.
They are now divorced and he is recovering. It is not only women who fall prey to these type of personalities unfortunately.
That conversation led me to find answers for my (then) current partner of 10yrs. When that infamous 'light bulb" moment came,
I began freeing myself.

AFAIU; addiction comes in many forms yet the underlying cause is rarely genetic and is environmental at it's root.
We are so often raised by emotionally dysregulated ppl and this is cyclic in nature.

I added my journey towards emotional 'sobriety' in my original post, as IMO, it is important to realize that removing
unhealthy behaviors/ addictions from our lives is the first step to finding our joy.

I am currently living the best version of myself and am practicing healthier choices with a whole mind/ body/ spirit- soul approach.
Recognizing my co dependencies and removing the emotional vampires from my life, was the most difficult 'addiction' to over come
yet remains the most freeing experience of my entire life.

Important to note (IMO) that "sobriety" includes emotional independence/ freedom :)

Excellent answer. Thank you.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
LOL, just finished up with breakfast/coffee at my next door neighbor's house. :shucks:

He was lonely.

............ young, breathtakingly handsome, fabulously wealthy, very nice guy, good family.

..................... he'll be in the psych ward soon enough, kept talking about 'Debbie' (his mother), and then mentioned recent conversations with 'Mom' (Norma) who he had never spoken of before.

When I asked him where Norma lived he said "I don't know". Couldn't carry on a train of thought or a conversation the whole time I was there.

Fuped ducks are everywhere and there's nothing that can be done about that. It's not their fault, they have no control over themselves whatsoever.

The hard part for us Normals (cough, cough) is maintaining the balance between compassion and emotional detachment.

................................ maintaining the balance is what sobriety is all about. :tiphat:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grew up with pain on account of a disability effecting all joints, bones and muscles. As an infant through to 9-10 I was given injections of morphine to ease pain. I saw the dragon very early in life. Once I was cut off, I just tolerated pain. After moving for an hour in the morning it dissipated somewhat. As a teen-young man I discovered that cannabis eased my pain throughout the day. My saving grace was black Afghani hash laced with opium. I ate a gram every morning. Working with global grade importers made this easy. When the supply dried up I was out of luck.

I found quite a bit of pain relief in peyote, synthetic mescaline and psylocybe mushrooms as well as increase in awareness. The trend to breeding the shit out of cannabis destroyed most of the effects for me, making pain worse so I've abstained since about 1989, despite making my income from growing relatively large quantities. In the mid-90s I convinced a doctor to prescribe morphine, after many failures with other analgesics. I've never looked back since. A pot of espresso and 120 mg of morphine every morning makes it possible to walk for about 4 to 6 hours and function through to bedtime; same dose for 26 years.

bushed

Good to see there is so many people trying to be there best self here. I think it really is an indication that we are all getting older and wiser. It's not that people get more boring it's that emotional/chemical regulation becomes harder and therefore more important.

the high is less fun because you've been there done that and you get sick of the highs and lows and prefer to be on a constant level.

On not feeling high from weed, I remember going through this in my earlier 20's, it may be a symptom of your over all mental state. I think for me it was more that when you're young getting stoned with your mates is the event, it's all you need. As you get older you need more than just getting really stoned it's just makes you feel tired. Try going a day without (I know terrible) then next day, go for a bike ride in nature with a little smoke, garanteed you will feel high.

On emotional vampires, worked with too many to count. The good thing is you start to see the patterns and learn to stay away once you've dealt with it enough.

On sugar, it's a massive vice for me to, I eat mostly home grown whole foods in the day mostly very healthy. Then I get stoned and eat the whole packet of cookies in the evening! Not ready to give this up yet tho. As someone said sobriety should be a gradual process.