What's new

A Guide to Fishsticks

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
you would almost think doing low impact aerobics in a sauna where everything is either hot or sharp is a bit stressful...
I almost felt bad for them. Might have had pity if they were not such arrogant dicks. They spent 2 years at Johnson and Wales cooking school and made $7.00 a hour. I made $5.75 with no schooling. Seemed like a waste of money and time.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I almost felt bad for them. Might have had pity if they were not such arrogant dicks. They spent 2 years at Johnson and Wales cooking school and made $7.00 a hour. I made $5.75 with no schooling. Seemed like a waste of money and time.
i made 50k instead of paying culinary institute of america 50k to learn the same stuff...
i remember one day in newport ri when the chef called me up in a panic..."we just got these giant halibut and have no idea what to do"....i get there and they're chickens,barely 40 lbs...they had three which took me all of 5 minutes to filet...i did 4-6000 lbs every summer in alaska....she was a little embarrassed,especially since my fillets were so clean and my yield was like 90%....the next week we got salmon which take me like 30 seconds each

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
i made 50k instead of paying culinary institute of america 50k to learn the same stuff...
i remember one day in newport ri when the chef called me up in a panic..."we just got these giant halibut and have no idea what to do"....i get there and they're chickens,barely 40 lbs...they had three which took me all of 5 minutes to filet...i did 4-6000 lbs every summer in alaska....she was a little embarrassed,especially since my fillets were so clean and my yield was like 90%....the next week we got salmon which take me like 30 seconds each
Exactly. All that schooling and no idea how to do the basics. The head cook ran 2 restaurants at the same time and learned on the line and not in the schools. Not saying I am a great cook just that these guys were wasting their time at the school.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:smokeit::yoinks: alrighty,just got the 18 plant harvest into totes....some poor sucker has a lot of trimming to do...but i'm guessing i'll be able to pay 3 months rent ahead of time and pay for the frame and maybe half the parts on this round....and i have another combined 30 plants coming down in the next 2-3 weeks...
i guess i know what i'm doing for the next month...bitching about trimming!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
:smokeit::yoinks: alrighty,just got the 18 plant harvest into totes....some poor sucker has a lot of trimming to do...but i'm guessing i'll be able to pay 3 months rent ahead of time and pay for the frame and maybe half the parts on this round....and i have another combined 30 plants coming down in the next 2-3 weeks...
i guess i know what i'm doing for the next month...bitching about trimming!
And pot washing. Cant forget that.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chimera#4 clone
DSCN0678.JPG

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Someone was talking about money I had to laugh and I’m remembering when I first started working on the books at age 16 minimum wage was $3.35 an hour
My first job was $3.35 a hour also but at age 15. Also first job on the books. I was on the books but working illegally. I was suppose to be 16 because they had a bar. My mom told the owner I was 16 by accident and the boss told the manager to put me on the schedule. I didnt fill out a application till I turned 16 three months latter.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
My first job was at 11. I would walk about 2 miles to set up patio furniture for $2. Then go across the street and swim till I was hungry then use the $2 to get something to eat. After eating I would go back to swimming till dark. Then walk home. It was better than being at home and smacked around.

I also knew where all the wild food was and would eat that as well. Blueberries, strawberries, huckleberries, raspberries, blackberries, grapes, apples, pears, and a few black cherry trees. Most of that has been ripped up and replaced with buildings now.

Drumskinz

Someone was talking about money I had to laugh and I’m remembering when I first started working on the books at age 16 minimum wage was $3.35 an hour
Geez I feel old again…when I got my working papers at 16 minimum wage was $1.60 an hour and you could get a pound of hamburger and a 1lb. can of coffee free with a coupon

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I pumped gas at 13 for 3 something an hour. It was the same gas station my Dad had his first job at 13 as well. Well besides farming. That's more like part of life than a job tho.

New frame time eh? Going to be some sexy Ti pics coming I would hope!

Ichabod that's wild man, that flying sounds fun. Does your wife know you are taking lessons yet?