What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

igrowone

Veteran
I understand your analogy, but it's a bad one.

Nobody wants their attic on fire whereas ice always melts. Ice has been melting in artic for thousands of years.

and this is where we have the crux of the biscuit, just how big a difference is the current melt?
the Arctic sea ice melting generally doesn't affect sea level, it's already in the ocean
Greenland is a concern, how much? the debate is quit active
it's previously covered ocean that had been reflecting summer sunlight which could be a nasty tipping point
though to be honest, in upstate ny we're digging the better temps we've had the last few years

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Google Milankovitch Cycle.
Your lack of understanding of basic geologic and astrologic principles is stunning, but having an understanding doesn't fit your agenda, does it?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Your lack of understanding of basic geologic and astrologic principles is stunning, but having an understanding doesn't fit your agenda, does it?

astrologic or astronomic?

on another subject
I'd move to Antartica if it wasn't so cold

Want your palms read homie?

Want your palms read homie?

astrologic or astronomic

ellenvonunwerth1.jpg

igrowone

Veteran

it has been a remarkably calm thread for this type of topic, but what the hell, let the games begin
the Milankovitch cycle is good science, it is accepted in current climatic thought
that of course does not exclude other processes being present, which is the current concern
not sure what agenda you mean, mostly i just like watching big pictures of ice melting
i suspect you mean the agenda of the bulk of the climatologists, Al Gore, and the IPCC
i don't mind hearing dissenting views, just be polite, and we can have a civil conversation on the topic

igrowone

Veteran
Check out the documentary "Carbon Nation" by Peter Byke. Shows how we can reduce carbon emissions and kick-start the economy at the same time.

This is a file share link. The free option is a stream - you don't have to download it.

http://www.sockshare.com/file/4F9A4A4485620CA9

i have seen(or heard, think it was on CNBC) that the USA has actually reduced its total CO2 emissions in the last year
natural gas has become so cheap compared to coal that enough nat gas retrofits of power plants have reduced our total carbon footprint
amazing if true, and took no effort whatsoever by government
the coal industry is crying up a storm about government regulation

H

h^2 O

they should make dildos made from coal for these oil and coal heiresses

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran

As if the average person walks around with any real clue about geological and astrological principles. Especially those that are so slow in revealling themselves that mankind has not existed long enough to have seen one full cycle. :rolleyes:

igrowone

Veteran
end of 2012 melt

end of 2012 melt

the minimum arctic ice extent has been reached, or very close
and it's low, quite low, but all may judge as they see fit, pics are worth looking at

Attachments

• N_daily_extent_hires.jpg
    N_daily_extent_hires.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 25
  • N_stddev_timeseries.jpg
    N_stddev_timeseries.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 26

igrowone

Veteran
melting in 2013

melting in 2013

since the thread still lives, i will document another melt season up there at the Earth's arctic sea
i do this with enthusiasm as the last month in the northeast has been butt freezing
so melting ice holds no fear for me
that said, it appears we have reached the 2012/2013 winter maximum of ice extent, and it's quite low from what i see
the professionals will make the call eventually
so here's the current picture of the northern ice

Attachments

N_daily_extent_hires.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21
    N_stddev_timeseries.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 22

igrowone

Veteran
and here we go, looks like my call was good, hit the max a few weeks ago
ice extent below average, but that seems to be every year now
but it's the ice's age that is changing, much less old multi year ice, much more 1 year ice

Attachments

N_daily_extent_hires.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 20
    N_stddev_timeseries.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 26

igrowone

Veteran
i suspect many are sweating a good summer sweat this year, it's been hot out there
what better time to look at some ice?
last year was a record low, this year not quite as bad, less ice than normal, but not off the charts so to speak
but it has been catching up over the last 2 weeks, another record low? sure feels like it to me

Attachments

N_daily_extent_hires.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 23
    N_stddev_timeseries.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Latest posts