What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smart Meters - a few common misconceptions cleared up here.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Assuming that you WILL grow, then kilowatt usage would be the same; the savings comes from being billed at a lessor rate per kw--instead of multiple tiers.

If they are looking for BIG KW consumers/users, then IMHO--having a lower billing rate should be a "none issue". I told them a "story" that was believable for my situation and...evidently they bought it--cuz as of today no issues (knocks on wood).

I have two environments: 3.2kw flower with a 1.2kw veg and my SCE bill is less than $700; separate ACs keep both environments under 77 degrees....and my wifey has that "forgot-to-turn-off-the-light-itis".

HUGE

Veteran
I was thinking of switching to the time of use rate but they told me that the need RO come put a special time of use meter on. Even though I have a smart meter installed. I think it will be huge dollar savings But I feel nervous about signing up.

what I meant was is it raising red flags for no reason to be using the 12/12 cycle at a high rate of usage?

is it more shady to use lots and lots of power on a time of day rate or use lots of power on a regular rate?

Keep goin

My experience is that when the company contacts you regarding the install they tell you what kind of meter they are installing! They tout the benefits of the advanced, detailed "monitoring" you can do yourself...lol.

Yeah, thanks...I know when I'm using electricity!! No Thanks..!!

I was luckily able to opt-out of the program. Not sure how comfy I am even with that...?
Not sure how that looks?!? "oh why is this guy opting out?"

But I heard of full townships wanting to opt out for all different reasons...so that made me a bit more comfortable.

A good friend who is an electrical engineer and deals with electrical monitoring as his job said to definitely opt out if possible! Do not use a smart meter if you can avoid it!!

Thanks for the thread Strainhunter...

Keep Safe...

vta

Veteran
My experience is that when the company contacts you regarding the install they tell you what kind of meter they are installing! They tout the benefits of the advanced, detailed "monitoring" you can do yourself...lol.

Yeah, thanks...I know when I'm using electricity!! No Thanks..!!

I was luckily able to opt-out of the program. Not sure how comfy I am even with that...?
Not sure how that looks?!? "oh why is this guy opting out?"

But I heard of full townships wanting to opt out for all different reasons...so that made me a bit more comfortable.

A good friend who is an electrical engineer and deals with electrical monitoring as his job said to definitely opt out if possible! Do not use a smart meter if you can avoid it!!

Thanks for the thread Strainhunter...

Keep Safe...

The Bastards installed one on my pad a few weeks ago. Today I called SCE, opted out and in a few weeks they will remove it. I will gladly pay the extra for my privacy and piece of mind!

For those that have not opted out yet...
SCE
1-800-810-2369

PG&E
1-866-743-0263

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Its all bullshit that this stuff is even admissible in court or means for a warrant.

Why are these cases not being thrown out?

Using a lot of power isnt illegal.. running lights on specific schedules isnt illegal. I ought to be able to have orange light blasting out of windows, high usage, noise, and equipment related trash, etc.

All might be signs of an indoor garden but NONE of them should be grounds for a warrant as none of the above is illegal. Grow rooms are not illegal. Who is to say that I'm not growing peppers/veggies because I don't trust the shit big AG sprays on my food.

Aside from cannabis smell / 1st hand snitch / sale... it should be rather impossible to enter a residence based on the suspicion of illegal indoor cultivation. Complete bullshit...

/rant

People don't be stupid by justifying smart meters not getting you busted. If theres a one in a million chance of something that can get you busted, and you ignore it, that one tiny chance will eventually bite you in the ass, and when it does while your incarceration you'll be wishing you wouldn't have been so stupid.

KnuckleHedd

I just received the notice today."Your energy service will be part of a select number of homes and businesses to be included in the first phase of installation of new electric meters and gas meters." It's the "select number of homes" part that worries me. the letter included a brochure didn't explain "how smart" the meters will be. They only refer to remote reading, elimination of estimated bills, automatic outage reporting and new programs for energy efficiency. I use 4k during 12/12 and less during veg. My highest bills are like $340-360. So, I'm not in a panic like I was when I first read the notice. Still worried, though. They didn't say anything about opting out, so it looks like I'm stuck with it. I'm hoping it's one of the dumb smart meters as opposed to the tricked out.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Maybe some day we will be growing under LEDs to reduce the energy footprint. Using a light mover to shuttle a lamp assembly between two flip rooms, would allow one to leave the lights on continuously through the entire grow, giving no 12/12 signature. To do this you'd need some sort of light proof passageway between the rooms.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
Maybe some day we will be growing under LEDs to reduce the energy footprint. Using a light mover to shuttle a lamp assembly between two flip rooms, would allow one to leave the lights on continuously through the entire grow, giving no 12/12 signature. To do this you'd need some sort of light proof passageway between the rooms.

The only really practical way to do this is by using two sets of lights.

There a reasons why light movers aren't popular.

(I'm not even going to list those reasons since all those people who are not using them anymore had to find out through "learning by doing".) ;)

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Aye, but my understanding is that flipping rooms leaves a telltale signature.

edit; This statement is based upon a post made by someone earlier in this thread. They gave no supporting data.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
smart meters for 5 years now, 6kw. No snooping meter reader. Whats going on in here guys? Whats the diff between posting grow shows and meters? The man can see both if he wants. I get blown away by dudes who freak about these meters, but post grow shows.

St3ve

So Triple, have you, or anyone you know had a close call or been busted as the result of having a smart meter in your five years of having one around?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
people cant really start getting busted by smart meters until all the appliances have smart chips in,, otherwise they have no idea what your using your electricity on,, but that will happen one day.. they are trying to get us to put our heads in the noose with this global warming dogshit that they have cooked up..

fresh air tax anyone?

TripleDraw27

Veteran
So Triple, have you, or anyone you know had a close call or been busted as the result of having a smart meter in your five years of having one around?

No close calls, no busts. How many busts have there been from meter reader smelling bud?