What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WORLD CUP GERMANY 06

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Vision of Shiva said:
And who thought I was crazy...? This is football.

Your name sould be "Vision of Soccer" hehe. Now can you get Italy to beat the Refs and Germany. :joint:

Blowmonkey

VIVA LA FRANCE!

Zidane has been resurrected, he was the highlight of the game.

If there's any team that might beat Germany, it's France. I sure hope so.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I think it was kind to give us some goals in the first round, friendly like. But I think you are tricky, employing the US players so we think they are good and let them play. Very tricky. But I won't tell.
H

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
well by the time I got to this thread poland got fucked by germany and my second choice switzerland got fucked by ukraine but that shit was penalties so fuck that .poice

G

Stoned Silly said:
Your name sould be "Vision of Soccer" hehe. Now can you get Italy to beat the Refs and Germany. :joint:

No problemo....I had the vision of Shiva -and then I had the vision of Fifa. :D

G

40 years of hurt...never stopped me dreaming....

Well...football's definitely not coming home..again!! It occasionally boards the plane for Heathrow but then it buggers off laughing...

I'm getting over yesterdays defeat now...you'll be pleased to hear.
In hindsight, I shouldn't have been so harsh on England really. They had Portugal under manners for most of the game, even with 10 men. Disappointing to see them go out in their usual fashion. Guvnor - got it about right - as soon as the game went to pens you just knew that it would be the same old story. And boy does it hurt..

Oh well this is why we love football so much - the joy it brings and the sadness and heartache it brings (particularly this for Engalnd fans)...are all part of that same coin.

Looking back I think Rooney should have been yellow carded perhaps because I'm not sure the ref actually saw it - even though he was right there. It was a neat little stamp straight on the guys nuts...The ref would have definitely heard the scream and that cocky twat Ronaldo didn't help matters much. I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney and Rio smack him in training for doing what he did. Did you see the way he peacocked up to take his penalty...?

Oh well, there's always Euro 2008. We English will keep on dreaming - it will happen in our lifetimes....I hope...

So bring on the rest of the World Cup. I had a feeling that France would take out Brasil. I'm backing them now from here on in. Ooh la a.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Portugal has no whatsoever reason to be proud of their win yesterday. I'm usually a fan of Portugese football, but not when it goes down like this. I've watched the video of the Rooney incident over and over again, and all I can say is that it happens in the heat of the game and merits at the most a yellow card (depending on what standards you apply). To ask the referee for a red card (Ronaldo) stinks, nothing more, nothing less. The 2002 World Cup saw 270 yellow cards and 17 red cards. This World Cup has so far distributed 325 yellow cards and 26 red cards, and there are still 4 games to play. The only result from this low tolerance attitude (as far as I can see) is that there's more irritation and confusion on the field, and the referees actively participates in deciding which teams will win, which is not at all their function. If FIFA President Blatter would pull his head out of his arse and accept video assistance, a lot of non-red cards incidents could have been cleared up straight away (and a few more given). They did it in ice hockey, everybody thinks it's a good thing, nobody wants to go back to the old system with an all-powerful referee.
There was a big party at the Champs Elysees last night (yes, I was there), and I still do not manage to understand how this mediocre French team has managed to get things together at exactly the right time. After more than 30 international no-win no-goal games, and with a trainer disliked by the players for repeatedly taking the wrong strategic decisions (and leaving out players like Pires and Anelka because of personal disputes), they suddenly look like champs. They had the potential but not the play, now they do. The team lacked speed, it does no longer. I said earlier that 50% or more in a tournament like the World Cup is about psychology, I believe the Frenchies illustrate this perfectly. Who knows what they can accomplish with their newly won self-esteem? Hopefully, we've got some beautiful games ahead of us, hopefully we'll see no more red cards.

G

Rosy Cheeks said:
Portugal has no whatsoever reason to be proud of their win yesterday. I'm usually a fan of Portugese football, but not when it goes down like this. I've watched the video of the Rooney incident over and over again, and all I can say is that it happens in the heat of the game and merits at the most a yellow card (depending on what standards you apply). To ask the referee for a red card (Ronaldo) stinks, nothing more, nothing less. The 2002 World Cup saw 270 yellow cards and 17 red cards. This World Cup has so far distributed 325 yellow cards and 26 red cards, and there are still 4 games to play. The only result from this low tolerance attitude (as far as I can see) is that there's more irritation and confusion on the field, and the referees actively participates in deciding which teams will win, which is not at all their function. If FIFA President Blatter would pull his head out of his arse and accept video assistance, a lot of non-red cards incidents could have been cleared up straight away (and a few more given). They did it in ice hockey, everybody thinks it's a good thing, nobody wants to go back to the old system with an all-powerful referee.
There was a big party at the Champs Elysees last night (yes, I was there), and I still do not manage to understand how this mediocre French team has managed to get things together at exactly the right time. After more than 30 international no-win no-goal games, and with a trainer disliked by the players for repeatedly taking the wrong strategic decisions (and leaving out players like Pires and Anelka because of personal disputes), they suddenly look like champs. They had the potential but not the play, now they do. The team lacked speed, it does no longer. I said earlier that 50% or more in a tournament like the World Cup is about psychology, I believe the Frenchies illustrate this perfectly. Who knows what they can accomplish with their newly won self-esteem? Hopefully, we've got some beautiful games ahead of us, hopefully we'll see no more red cards.

Hey Rosy - the French appear to be coming good at the right time. I totally agreed with your synopsis of the state of French football and the stats too seem to point towards mediocrity at best. However, they seem to have found some belief. The way Vieira played against Spain was just magic to watch. That was the old Vieira - that we knew, loved and respected so much at Arsenal. If he carries on playing well and Zidane and Henry begin to fire - like they appear to be doing, then it's a formailty - they'll brush aside the Portuguese (please do this) and they'll beat the Germans or the Italians in the final. They are a team of superstars but it took Ribery, the new blood, to come in and kick start the giants into action.

So you guys partied on the Champs Elysees huh? The football really brings France together as a nation - it's nice to see that..
It was like a ghost town around here after the England game. The flags have all come down and you wouldn't know there had even been a World Cup. :D

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
Rosy, V.O.Shiva, greetings!
several times and from many angles i saw the video of the Rooney supposed step-on-portu-nuts ( :biglaugh: ) and still can't believe that dumbass of a referee red carded him for it... if he was to be carded, maybe a yellow card for pushing that bitch ass of c.ronaldo (the kid needs to change his name btw, wtf... there is only one Ronaldo).

i'm supporting France and Italy, and if these two teams go to the final, i think i like the French team better just because they were able to put aside all their petty bullshit in no time and start playing great football, which is what it is all about, ain't it?

vidro

A red card for a kick in the balls is a good decision!
Portugal allez, Portugal allez, Portugal alllleeezzzz!!!!!!!!

G

PazVerdeRadical said:
Rosy, V.O.Shiva, greetings!
several times and from many angles i saw the video of the Rooney supposed step-on-portu-nuts ( :biglaugh: ) and still can't believe that dumbass of a referee red carded him for it... if he was to be carded, maybe a yellow card for pushing that bitch ass of c.ronaldo (the kid needs to change his name btw, wtf... there is only one Ronaldo).

Greetings Paz - how goes it? The pain of Argentina's exit subsiding any...? I'm still licking my wounds....haven't managed to watch any reruns of the incident or the game.

I think we can all safely say that this world cup has seen some of the most ridiculous refereeing ever..325 yellow cards and 26 reds...4 games to go :yoinks:

G

Hey congrats vidro. Portugal are fast becoming our nemesis.

I hate u bastards right now :D But congratulations all the same.
I'm hoping France will give you a good spanking next round for causing me/us all this pain twice now. :D

Last edited:

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
Vision of Shiva said:
Greetings Paz - how goes it? The pain of Argentina's exit subsiding any...? I'm still licking my wounds....haven't managed to watch any reruns of the incident or the game.

I think we can all safely say that this world cup has seen some of the most ridiculous refereeing ever..325 yellow cards and 26 reds...4 games to go :yoinks:

man, i was the midst of the deepest dukkha, but getting out of it thankfully :D it sucks to have to see a great team like Argentina leave like that... the English loosing didn't help either since i can't stand a team behaving like Portugal has behaved, plus England was my back up team, strange mix of teams, i know :D but gotta love that premier league.
besides, England and Argentina are the oldest national teams and basically taught the whole world how to play this game :joint:
peace.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
vidro said:
A red card for a kick in the balls is a good decision!
Portugal allez, Portugal allez, Portugal alllleeezzzz!!!!!!!!

shit, way to distort what happened... from an accidental stepping on some dude's crutch who was on the floor kicking like a fool the legs of a man standing, to a kick in the balls :biglaugh: ... you sure you ain't confusing the game with a chuck norris movie? :confused: peace :wave:

vidro

Thanks Vision of Shiva
I really think England played well, even with 10 players on field and that reflected on only loosing the game on the penalty shoot-out. As Erikson said: on the second half we were starting to control the game and then the red card came...
Sincerely, i´m still waiting for the portuguese magic because i´ve only seen team work, sweat and luck (Holland almost tied and Lampard was not there...). Maybe in the next game with France, now with Deco and Costinha playing...
At these level with such great teams a lucky star doesn´t hurt :)

bigjayworks

i love this game im for france all the way.. I had a strong weird feeling france would win brazil.. i have that feeling now that they are gona win the world cup.. GO FRANCE

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
well the world cup is over , just the euro cup now. It bites to be surrounded by countries whose teams are still in.
left with no-one to cheer for.
I guess i'll just hope the referee's dont ruin the remaining games, and that whoever wins will have done so without the ref's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.