What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone into metal detecting

shithawk420

Veteran
Serious question.what a good detector that won't break me too much.I can't afford a 500$ dollar one.is there any less than that will get the job done.need to find a priceless ring that my grandma lost years ago.can it even be found or is it a waste of time?thanks in advance.

SativaBreather

Veteran
Thats really cool leepy, I remember you off that other site

inspirational really, makes me feel like having a go

leepy

Serious question.what a good detector that won't break me too much.I can't afford a 500$ dollar one.is there any less than that will get the job done.need to find a priceless ring that my grandma lost years ago.can it even be found or is it a waste of time?thanks in advance.

get an ace250 cheap as fuck in the states pal an you'll find it if ya know roughly were she lost it

leepy

I have a question. how do you know if your detecting a tin can compared to some thing valuable like precious metals? Next question how deep do you detect?

the depth depends on the size of the find if its big it could be 2ft or more but on average its between 2in to 12in as for the tin can lmfao the detector tells you if its worth diggin or not mine has high pitch tones for goodies an low tones for iron an shit or my other has numbers and tones so you more or less have a good idea b4 you even start diggin

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
i have been interested in this, i always see people with metal detectors on the local beach.

what you do think of the saxon gold found with a metal detector :)

great story. im sure the uk is full nice goodies :)

MJBadger

Veteran
Near where I used to live is an old common & across one part was part of a very old cart track before all the roads were built although majority of people just think it`s a footpath .
Mate of mine found an old strongbox with all the iron banding & lock rods across it buried under a big hawthorn tree a few feet from this cart track , it was tangled in the roots , he left it there & reburied it as he won`t kill a tree by cutting the roots to get the box out .
I know it`s still there to this day & often wondered .

leepy

i have been interested in this, i always see people with metal detectors on the local beach.

what you do think of the saxon gold found with a metal detector :)

great story. im sure the uk is full nice goodies :)

WOW £3.6million or there abouts he got for that lot m8 now thats a find of of a lifetime. And he had done that field for yrs and your right m8 the uk is full of goodies

leepy

Near where I used to live is an old common & across one part was part of a very old cart track before all the roads were built although majority of people just think it`s a footpath .
Mate of mine found an old strongbox with all the iron banding & lock rods across it buried under a big hawthorn tree a few feet from this cart track , it was tangled in the roots , he left it there & reburied it as he won`t kill a tree by cutting the roots to get the box out .
I know it`s still there to this day & often wondered .

im ever so sorry but id have turned that tree into match sticks to see what was in that box id have to there is no way i would ever get over not knowing

ipumpon

anyone recommend a starter metal detector?

i have been wanting to get into it for many years, and now i have a bunch of land i want to search.

B

BrnCow

Get a Garrett AT PRO...won't go wrong...some metal detecting groups on Facebook and some forums on the net...

ipumpon

i will look at them. thanks brncow. i have a pasture that i recently got access to that used to be part of an old navy ammo depot from ww2, im hoping there are all kinds of interesting treasures to be found.

leepy

i will look at them. thanks brncow. i have a pasture that i recently got access to that used to be part of an old navy ammo depot from ww2, im hoping there are all kinds of interesting treasures to be found.

diggin an ammo dump might put u off detecting b4 you'v even got into m8 the amount of signals you will get will thrash your mind to bits not only that id advise against digging anywere near it m8 hit one decent sized shell with a spade an BOOOOOOM. Must remember they been in the ground for 60 odd years or more very very unstable

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
have you ever tried detecting on beaches ?

i wonder would there be anything there other then lost items from people going to the beach?

leepy

have you ever tried detecting on beaches ?

i wonder would there be anything there other then lost items from people going to the beach?

i dont do the beaches here in the uk you must hit the beach after a real bad storm so the beach is stripped of all the sand otherwise all we find is ring pulls an moden coins
unlike usa were you find the good stuff in the top sand due to the amount of ppl visitin the beaches

RoadRash

Once I built a sluice to evaluate some concentrate from a copper mine.

I processed about 600 pounds of mud through the sluice and its density changed.

Going in it was about 11 pounds per gallon.

The weight of the intermediate concentrate after going through my sluice was 30 pounds per gallon.

It is wierd lifting up, heavier than it looks.

I paid one place to do a fire assay, and one other semi-retired geologist/ metallurgist volunteered to do
his standard battery of chemical assays.

Long story short, there's copper in the sand.

I may end up selling the sluice. It is 6 1/2 feet long and about 15 inches wide.

It didn't bring me good luck, but it helped me learn some mining.

I have a friend who does river mining, and he uses a metal detector to help him figure out where to dig. Then he goes in with a dredge and a sluice on a back pack, sets it all up, and processes 2 to 10 cubic yards of river sand. It will yield 1/4 ounce to an ounce plus, of gold, per outing (hard working bust your ass 4 to 8 hours).

Key to his process is his metal detector. He is not having good luck, he is performing journeyman geological and metallurgical analyses in the field ... and it all starts with his metal detector.

I asked him if I could rent it, but he said no. Other than that he is very helpful. I could understand not wanting to loan out a tool you depend on.

So what is a good kind of metal detector to get ?

I'm also curious about 'hot rocks', what a local mining supply lady calls 'false positives', e.g. the thing rings or responds, but it's iron or copper instead of silver or gold.