What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Legalization" leading to monopolies on genetics?

nono_fr

penicillin is legal and patented, but the amazon indians don't get any royalties ( too bad they could defend their forest with this money )

huni-kuni.jpg

A spiritual leader of the Huni Kui tribe blows a herbal powder into the nose of a man

the same for haze which comes from foreign genetics in the United States.

7eastgenetics

I'm writing this because recently I was looking for CBG seeds and couldn't find any that didn't come with an agreement to not reproduce the seeds attached to it. This, along with seed producers increasingly only offering feminized or autoflowering seeds, I believe has, and will continue to, restrict the genetics that would otherwise be used as medicine by those who need it from actually having it.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, one seed producer, "7 East Genetics" also sells their seeds with an agreement attached. Unlike the others, the agreement prohibits the buyer from applying for intellectual property protection for either the plants grown out from their seeds or any seeds made with the plants and that restriction is applied to everyone who uses the genetics downstream of the seed buyer.

It's a kind of forced "open source" method of keeping the genetics available to as many people as possible.

I'm starting to think that if enough seed producers don't do what "7 East" is doing, monopolies on certain genetics will be enforced via intellectual property laws by the courts - which will make it tougher for some to get the genetics - and impossible for others who will not be able to afford the price.

Thoughts?
One love and thanks for the kind words.

Oh and fuck monsanto.

Latest posts

Latest posts