What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED vertical scrog

hayday

Veteran
So you are happy with the new feed I reckon? The last time I tried new nutes it did not go
well. I'm hesitant to do that again and go with the old adage,If it ain't broke, don'tifix it.

I tried a run of Jacks and it was horrible. Worst pot I ever grew. It could have been on account of my hard water or something but I adiosed that stuff after one cycle.

Your plants look great, like you'll have a big harvest soon.Those girls run around 70
days? Your gonna be trimming like crazy for chocolate money for the Mrs. :biggrin:

Happy New Years y'all.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So you are happy with the new feed I reckon? The last time I tried new nutes it did not go
well. I'm hesitant to do that again and go with the old adage,If it ain't broke, don'tifix it.

I tried a run of Jacks and it was horrible. Worst pot I ever grew. It could have been on account of my hard water or something but I adiosed that stuff after one cycle.

Your plants look great, like you'll have a big harvest soon.Those girls run around 70
days? Your gonna be trimming like crazy for chocolate money for the Mrs. :biggrin:

Happy New Years y'all.

I didn't really change the nutes all that much. I just eliminated the Epson salts I was adding. And gave them some MKP in the feed.

It is not running perfect. I have to much nitrogen, not enough potassium, and it is a little short on the calcium. But like DHF said, it is a little late to change the mix at this point. I will be running something else after this run. Something with less nitrogen and more potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Just waiting for this run to finish.

I have run Jack's for about 8 years and have not had a issue. It only started when I changed to the LED's. Part of the issue was taken care off by upping the EC. But that also gave me to much nitrogen. So it is a work in progress to get it in the sweet spot.

Thanks I think the plants are coming along pretty good also. But they could be a little better. But that is the case most of the time right? lol.

Yeah trimming with be some work. I should get around 3 pounds so yes a bit of work. But not as bad as if I was trimming small colas that were fluffy.

They still have about 4 weeks to fatten up. They are done at like around day 68. I like to run my stuff longer than most. So I can get that good buzz when it is smoked. I just can't understand why people want to take them a week early when they just spent month's growing them.

Chocolate money incoming baby.

Happy New Year everyone.

hayday

Veteran
With the Jacks, for me it was awful. Yellow plants all thruout veg and fluffy black burning harsh flowers. T.D.S. was in range, everything should have worked but ole Jack got the boot. I only invested one cycle on it and went back to maxibloom. Called it a wash.

I'm setting up a new spot,most likely get back to my roots with organic recycle as space wont be a problem. Right now I'm in a tight spot with people everywhere. No place to hide a huge bin of real estate. We probibly need to discuss lighting again soon.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
With the Jacks, for me it was awful. Yellow plants all thruout veg and fluffy black burning harsh flowers. T.D.S. was in range, everything should have worked but ole Jack got the boot. I only invested one cycle on it and went back to maxibloom. Called it a wash.

I'm setting up a new spot,most likely get back to my roots with organic recycle as space wont be a problem. Right now I'm in a tight spot with people everywhere. No place to hide a huge bin of real estate. We probibly need to discuss lighting again soon.

What kind of media were your plants in?

I understand the tight spot. I have at least 9 neighbors who look directly into my back yard. 5 who do it from their front yards. It makes it hard to shoot the rabbit infestation we have. But thankfully a fox has been eating the rabbits up. Destructive things when they are not kept under control. I even found one in my chicken coop under the heat lamp one winter.

hayday

Veteran
Perlite-vermiculte Hempy buckets. Should have been fine but my tap water is pretty bad. Jacks added a tap water hydro blend after I messed that crop up. The timing was good for a test run but I don't want go thru that again.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Perlite-vermiculte Hempy buckets. Should have been fine but my tap water is pretty bad. Jacks added a tap water hydro blend after I messed that crop up. The timing was good for a test run but I don't want go thru that again.

I run in coco with RO water. And don't have problems. My tap water is around 750 PPM and 8 .5 PH out of the tap. It varies with the time of the year. It is worse in the summer and better in the spring. I think it is because of the water tables rises in the spring and falls in the summer.

DunHav`nFun

Happy New Yr Icky.....Hope the coming year`s more prosperous than the last…..now......What`s up with the dreaded Nitrogen toxicity "curl" on some of them leaves......those big fans are deep green bro.....and seeing this let`s me know there`s some finicky Sativa bitch characteristics goin on ,cuz I know you`re not 1 to overfeed...….. but you`ve run her for several harveys…..has she always exhibited feed finickyness ?.....also.....this could be the answer to crinkly leaves and necrotic end tissue on said large fans.....

You`re @ 6 weeks , and you know this , but you can get rid of a buncha stored Nitrogen by gradually removing as many large fans as possible......over the next couple weeks till it`s time to dwindle ppms and or start the flush …..whichever you choose..........but …….

I know your school of thought on feedin the colas bro , and far be it from me ta tell yas what to do , but I think it would help in the long run since you can`t isolate and remove N per se as needed for the remainder of the plant`s cycle without semi strength flushes that could affect swellage from lack of the other elements , but..... anyways.....

Ny 2 cents from all them yrs , and other than the excess N as agreed upon above by you and Unc , your shit`s top shelf as usual Ickster…...Keep strokin and thanks for your time...…

Peace.....DHF...…:ying: ……..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Happy New Yr Icky.....Hope the coming year`s more prosperous than the last…..now......What`s up with the dreaded Nitrogen toxicity "curl" on some of them leaves......those big fans are deep green bro.....and seeing this let`s me know there`s some finicky Sativa bitch characteristics goin on ,cuz I know you`re not 1 to overfeed...….. but you`ve run her for several harveys…..has she always exhibited feed finickyness ?.....also.....this could be the answer to crinkly leaves and necrotic end tissue on said large fans.....

You`re @ 6 weeks , and you know this , but you can get rid of a buncha stored Nitrogen by gradually removing as many large fans as possible......over the next couple weeks till it`s time to dwindle ppms and or start the flush …..whichever you choose..........but …….

I know your school of thought on feedin the colas bro , and far be it from me ta tell yas what to do , but I think it would help in the long run since you can`t isolate and remove N per se as needed for the remainder of the plant`s cycle without semi strength flushes that could affect swellage from lack of the other elements , but..... anyways.....

Ny 2 cents from all them yrs , and other than the excess N as agreed upon above by you and Unc , your shit`s top shelf as usual Ickster…...Keep strokin and thanks for your time...…

Peace.....DHF...…:ying: ……..

What you are seeing is caused by drying out to much between feeds. The 5 gallon bag is to small for a once a day feeding with this size plant. As it dries out it messes up the PH and nutrient balance in the coco. The only way I have found to fix this is twice daily feeding or getting a bigger grow bag.

I had mentioned this would be happening earlier in the thread.

I hate to remove fans this late, or early. I say that because in the past I have lost many buds to bud rot from plucking fans. If the entire stem of the fan is not removed it gets trapped in the bud and starts to rot. So I say to early to remove the fans. Plus at this point the fans are still being used. So it is kind of late to take them.

I will start removing them in the last week just before harvest. It will take most of the week since I don't want to stall the plants in the last week. I do not have issues at that point with the nitrogen causing harsh smoke.

The worse thing is that the buds won't quite be as big or solid as if they didn't have excess nitrogen. But they will still turn out fine. But I am working towards fixing the nitrogen issue.

Thanks DHF:tiphat:

DunHav`nFun

I`ve heard you say on numerous occasions the reason you don`t strip leaves after end of stretch is due to the times you`ve done it or maybe even just once that the petiole/stem nub that wasn`t completely gotten rid of receded in the cola/s that formed and swelled around it/them and caused budrot…….and I knew that , but.....

Getting rid of all the ones beneath and at the bottom/ beginning of each nug/cola couldn`t possibly recede …...regardless.....just tryin ta offer options without stressin the plants while getting rid of excess baggage.....I mean stored nitrogen cough cough.....:moon: …….and yeah.....I see where a lil excess medium drying out between feeds could swing things sideways a bit ph wise , but those plants are healthy Bro …..just juiced up......anyways.....

I`m confident the dank will drop when the time comes , so handle it Ickster….I can see where increased metabolism from the plants exposed to the new light source demands takes dialage , and a learning curve to hit the right ppm`s for the plants compared to the demands from the new said light source will be ongoing till said dialage occurs.....and that`s what`s so awesome bout your thread Ick is it`s in real time with all the ups and downs as well as upgrades like an extra light for the plants that outgrew the existing ones , etc . etc …….aight.....

I`ve had a 20 lb bone in whole rib roast on the smoker 3 hrs for New Yrs and my boy`s send off party with all the fixins and 4 Yeti 110`s full of ice cold long neck beer of several flavors and distinctions , along with Cornhole tournament beginning shortly......Ya`ll come........anybody here after 9 when the gate`s locked and the fireworks begin , stays till Fred wakes up tomorrow and unlocks said gate.....Ya`ll be safe and...…

Peace.....DHF....:ying: …..

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm seeing very similar signs. I thought P but it didn't help. I have seen K can look alike and is also pushed out by Mg. Perhaps a PK boost could be trialed as part of your mix

Sometimes these things need to advance to see exactly what is what.

What you're doing is impressive. I wouldn't like to grow the big round plants then chop them though. Have you thought about fixing a trellis in your pots, to grow them flat from the outset?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I'm seeing very similar signs. I thought P but it didn't help. I have seen K can look alike and is also pushed out by Mg. Perhaps a PK boost could be trialed as part of your mix

Sometimes these things need to advance to see exactly what is what.
The MKP is phosphorus and potassium. It is mono potassium phosphate. Hense the name MKP. So when I say I am giving the MKP it is a PK boost.

What you're doing is impressive. I wouldn't like to grow the big round plants then chop them though. Have you thought about fixing a trellis in your pots, to grow them flat from the outset?

It would not fit my veg. I also loose the out of balance effect I get when I put the plant into flower. Remember in the beginning I stated I wanted to direct my growth to the branch tips. By having the extra roots the plant will try to balance the roots to foliage ratio. And since the is a excess of roots it will compensate by growing foliage to rebalance. And I am directing that to the bud sites at the end of the branch.

Even though you don't want to grow like this hang around maybe you will see something that might help you in your style of grow. I know my way is different than most grows but I still learn from other styles of growing.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I mentioned that the canopy was 8-10 inches deep. I was wrong. I measured it last night and it is up to 12 inches deep.

Because it is getting deeper I have been moving the lights back from the screens. I am trying to keep it about 18 inch or further away from the plants.

I also got my LED strips in today. Enough to build another 28 lights.

I hope every one has a great New Year.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Last night while I was watering I looked up and saw this and decided a couple pictures were in order. So here is what I looked up to.

It kind of looks like a scrog on the floor from that picture. Fairly flat looking. I also happened to see this little beauty looking at me.

That is what is all across the screen. But I also have been noticing the calcium and magnesium deficiency is starting to show up in some of the new leaves. you can see it in the leaves in this picture and the picture after it.

So I gave them a dose of 25 ml of this.

Not the bottle on the left but the one on the right. The one on the left has more nitrogen and I don't want anymore of that. When I mixed up the 5 gallons of nutrient solution I also added a teaspoon of MKP again. This dropped the PH like a stone. So I had to bring the PH back up. And that took a lot of PH up. I used some old SM-90 that I had sitting around. It took 30 ml to bring the solution up to 5.8.

Over the next couple days I will try to keep a eye on the calcium and magnesium deficiency to see if that helped. Next run will be with more calcium, magnesium, and less nitrogen.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
check out olympus up from nectar of the gods...it's nothing but liquified calcium carbonate...for a 5 gallon mix like you described i think it would take half as much to adjust the pH...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
check out olympus up from nectar of the gods...it's nothing but liquified calcium carbonate...for a 5 gallon mix like you described i think it would take half as much to adjust the pH...

I will. But my goal is to no use it at all. Truthfully that is the first time I have used it in about 7 years I believe.

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro......I can`t see any brown spots or yellowing between leaf veins , only necrotic edge tissue and burnt tips.....jus sayin....they look over juiced to my old ass , but I been wrong before Ickster….I know it`s hard ta deny trichome production at this point in the game , but something's burnin those new leaves my buddy …..You sure the mkp`s not too strong?....I know you said you were short on p and k before , but....

Hope you figure out your juice needs Ickster…..just remember.....when in doubt.....flush it out....with 1/2 strength nutrients that is.....then start over.....just tyinta help Bro....Don`t chastise me....:biggrin: ……. you know I`m getting old.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Hey Bro......I can`t see any brown spots or yellowing between leaf veins , only necrotic edge tissue and burnt tips.....jus sayin....they look over juiced to my old ass , but I been wrong before Ickster….I know it`s hard ta deny trichome production at this point in the game , but something's burnin those new leaves my buddy …..You sure the mkp`s not too strong?....I know you said you were short on p and k before , but....

Hope you figure out your juice needs Ickster…..just remember.....when in doubt.....flush it out....with 1/2 strength nutrients that is.....then start over.....just tyinta help Bro....Don`t chastise me....:biggrin: ……. you know I`m getting old.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying: …...

The edges are getting burned from not enough potassium. That is why I have been adding the MKP. Yes they are a little over nuted.

If you look at this picture you can see the the beginning of brown spots in the leaves in the three red circles. In the blue circle you can see the leaf is light colored between the veins.

I circled some of the lighter spots between the veins in the other photo but my phone will not save the photo. I tried over ten times but it would not save the edits. So you will just have to look closely at the photo. It is easier to see when you are looking at the plant and not a photo.

Stupid phone is pissing me off.

DunHav`nFun

When you`re right , you`re right.....see it plainly now.....and the edges burnt like that`s a phosphorous deficiency ?...….Never dealt with that before runnin GH and CalMag+......anyways.....You got this.....carry on …..and thanks for the pics and closeups.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …….

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
When you`re right , you`re right.....see it plainly now.....and the edges burnt like that`s a phosphorous deficiency ?...….Never dealt with that before runnin GH and CalMag+......anyways.....You got this.....carry on …..and thanks for the pics and closeups.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: …….

Feel free to chime in when you see that you need to. I am not perfect and fuck shit up all the time. So a second eye helps. Plus the people who read this can get a better feel for what to look for in more detail than just saying add this.:tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have noted over the years, that high feed levels will first present as K deficiency, before there is a little spotting. Perhaps never getting to over feed signs, or they mingle with the K signs too easily. With 900ppfd you need high feed though, it's actually over some maximum recommendations.

My notes might be useless to you, with such different feeds. It would be interesting to see the run-off EC though.

It might be excess sodium at the core of it all. It pushes out K then Ca then Mg. Adding cal-mag like stuff may increase N, pushing the K out further. While lowering it's share of the anions. I'm guessing that would be quite noticeable, following the Ca-Mg addition. I think I have seen it myself, as we are perhaps fighting the same battle. My impatience is my biggest opponent though. I'm flushing them down to a root EC of 20 right now, basic feed, to see a few days of the problem developing without me putting so much extra in, that it's no different to just increasing my basic feed.

Leds at 50,000 lux (~800ppfd) is hard work. You are doing better than me if I'm honest. I browned a few hairs at 4 weeks. Undeniably over fed, and likely to taste off to my palette. I don't know what I was thinking..

Last edited: