What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Worming 101

Azeotrope

Veteran
So, my growing beds are essentially active worm bins. I have noticed that feeding them cilantro/coriander and celery during flower makes the resin/trich count/content, aroma/odor, taste and potency blow up to a whole new level. Like insane!! I chop up the organic celery and add it in with the bunches of organic coriander just under the mulch.

Researching celery and coriander/cilantro has brought to my attention the fact that there are MANY unnamed and unidentified complex molecules - chemical structures in both. I also feed this to my non-growing worm bins and my grow beds that are resting and being reborn by the wigglers.

My other inputs are very diverse of course but, this took a very healthy, productive, and easy growing method to a whole different level.

Azeotrope

Veteran
I think there is something to be said for letting the worms break inputs down in the growing bed and making some compounds available to the plants prior to the compounds being broken down further into their parts as they would undergo in the worm bin for months.

Just a thought for you fellow worm lovers that probably have them crawling through your veg/flower beds/containers.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coffee grounds tea bags, egg shells.

Our kid did a DIY 5-gallon bucket for a science project. Beneficial!

Lrus007

Veteran
well i have 2 of the stacking bins.
must be 10 years now i have had them.
for my bedding i use 1/3 wet shredded paper.
1/3 dried then wetted down shade leafs.
then 1/3 peat moss wet with lime added month or so old.
then i do not use food scraps in the bins. i feed them worm chow.
yes they make worm chow. so my castings are bug free.
do not forget to add lime to your food. two reasons 1st so
food does not sour. 2nd reason is grit for the worms they have
a gizzard. so the lime helps them grind there food.
for cheap food you can use rabbit food or chicken food wetted down.
feed in different places i feed each of 4 corners then center.
over 5 weeks. then outside i have my compost pile under a rabbit cage.
that is where you will find your large fishing worms and good compost.

good luck all with your worms..

Desert Dan

Veteran
Anyone know if root aphids can survive and ultimately outcompete the worms in a bin? I believe they hitched a ride on some shade leaves and have taken over...

-DD

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone know if root aphids can survive and ultimately outcompete the worms in a bin? I believe they hitched a ride on some shade leaves and have taken over...

-DD
Read quickly on Reddit: aphids are usually a sign of nitrogen toxicity. I'd bet those plants they're munching on have excess nitrogen. I'd also bet they are probably the greenest plants out of the rest of the plants, confirming nitrogen toxicity.

Something to consider. I use kitchen veggie waste, damp newspaper & cardboard...they seem to like corrugated....seen new worm condos that way in the folds!!!@ ;o), egg shells, coffee grounds....works great!

'Boogieman'

I make compost from leaves, grass, and horse manure. After sitting about a year I use it as my worm bedding. I will mix in biochar, ground up eggshells, and worm food which I have a freezer dedicated too, and let it sit a week before adding worms. I use cardboard as a mulch . Half of these worm bins are about done and some just started. I have been doing this for years now and it works well. I like to start new bins often to keep the worm population up. I also have a weird habit of adding every wild mushroom I find to the bins.

Attachments

• 20200920_200034.jpg
    20200920_200034.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200920_200137.jpg
    20200920_200137.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200920_195853.jpg
    20200920_195853.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200920_195618.jpg
    20200920_195618.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200920_201728.jpg
    20200920_201728.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 118

Veggia farmer

So, my growing beds are essentially active worm bins. I have noticed that feeding them cilantro/coriander and celery during flower makes the resin/trich count/content, aroma/odor, taste and potency blow up to a whole new level. Like insane!! I chop up the organic celery and add it in with the bunches of organic coriander just under the mulch.

Researching celery and coriander/cilantro has brought to my attention the fact that there are MANY unnamed and unidentified complex molecules - chemical structures in both. I also feed this to my non-growing worm bins and my grow beds that are resting and being reborn by the wigglers.

My other inputs are very diverse of course but, this took a very healthy, productive, and easy growing method to a whole different level.

Have been thinking about "under culture" we called it here, where you have the main crop over and some other plants under for whatever reason.. Maybe I should try it with your tips, celery and coriander.

But worms, I notice some people use this Red wrigglers? One variant?

Me and the kids found some different native ones. We will see. Moved some compost a couple of weeks ago. A lot. Noticed they were VERY clear where they liked to be in the compost.

PCBuds

I have about 1/2 dozen Canadian nightcrawlers in with my plant.

Apparently, they aren't very good at composing but they do aerate the soil.

Red Wigglers are very active composters.

I found my nightcrawlers at the bottom of my planter where they were submerged in water.
Apparently, they can breathe through their skin and can be submerged for over two weeks.

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ Canadian Nightcrawlers need cool temps or will die so they aren't really good for indoor worm keeping.

European Nightcrawlers are better as they handle warmer temps and are much better than Canadian Nightcrawlers indoors. ;)

I purchased a 1/4 pound of European Nightcrawlers from this place in Ontario.

https://www.mobius8organics.com/

Lrus007

Veteran
funny i fed mine tonight. then i see this thread.
2 more feedings and will harvest a tray on each bin.

Sunshineinabag

^^^ Canadian Nightcrawlers need cool temps or will die so they aren't really good for indoor worm keeping.

European Nightcrawlers are better as they handle warmer temps and are much better than Canadian Nightcrawlers indoors. ;)

I've no prob letting mine enjoy life in no till Indoor beds. I must disagree from trial and error....plus once they die they feed the plants! Better then sitting on a hook.

Veggia farmer

I too have them in pots and beds. The only wormcasting I could have the option to harvest until bins get done is the plate under pots. So they go out the drainage hole and take a toilet visit then back in the pot again. Clean creatures.

hayday

Veteran
Got my 2nd harvest today...werms 2020:biggrin:
Scored 10-20 pounds off my critters, now I feed em.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Iamnumber

Hi,

Eisenia fetida (scientific name) is better species for indoor worming.
they are smaller and prosper in more moist and warm environments ( == inside home). they love temp 20-25 C and can survive up to 30 C

I Got them from european recycle center so I have no idea of availability within america .. nor if mailing would be an option .. boarder control is quite paranoid regarding anything alive.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Are my earthworms rejecting the new soil?

Are my earthworms rejecting the new soil?

New batch of soil. Ph is between 6 and 7, moisture with the blumat is 42 at 9". I put these earthworms in yesterday, and when I went to sleep last night they had all buried themselves. This AM they are on the surface and some are trying to crawl out of the trashcn.

What's up with this? Soil too wet?

Edit: Nope. Like all real men, I didn't read the instructions. At least they are alive. A little bit of light chased them right down into the soil. I now have some torn up scraps of moist cardboard on top for them to hide under.

Last edited:

Fishbuds

good amount of worms in there, maybe a bigger freash home, with new fresh bedding to boot. looks really packed, nice job!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
LOL, that is their new home. It was their first night. They say to leave the lid off the first couple nights to drive them into the soil. I didn't.

I have this remote moisture meter that was going crazy. The reading going was way up (it shouldn't), and when I pulled out the probe to check it, a worm was in it.