What's new

Local materials

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
40deg

All that unsulphured molasses is. is molasses that does not have ADDED sulphur. All molasses has some sulphur naturally. Some companies add sulphur to restrict yeast/fungi. Just ask if it is added. I've never used sugar but some do.

I use Turbinado Sugar (natural brown sugar) in my supersoil, and a bit at planting time. But beware, adding sugars at planting time will invite ants which acidify the soil, so dolomitic lime is also added.

40degsouth

Hey TychoMonolyth, thanks for the information. A real spin on sweetening the soil.
Thanks Microbe Man, l guess what l was eluding to is can sulphured molasses be used without killing off the beneficials in brews and if so, what ratios?? It seems all organic growing information breaks down to sulphured "bad", unsulphured "good", without any consideration for the benefits of sulphur in the soil. Another way to look at it is the excess sulphur throwing out a perfectly balanced soil??
Unsulphured can be purchased in health food shops in small tins for an outrageous price but sulphured can be bought in bulk for stock feed.
Cheers 40

Hookahhead

Tye difference between sulfured and unsulfured is the age of the sugar cane and the extraction process.

Unsulphured, or regular molasses, is extracted from mature sugarcane. Here, the cane juice is clarified and concentrated. Sulphured molasses, on the other hand, is made from sugarcane that hasn't had as much time to mature. As a result, sulfur dioxide is added to preserve the young sugarcane until it's processes.

Sulfur dioxide slightly alters the molasses' flavor, so if you're looking for something richer (or just want to stay away from preservatives), go for the unsulphured stuff. Fully matured sugarcane yields more raw material, making unsulphured molasses thicker and sweeter.

https://www.myrecipes.com/ingredients/unsulphured-vs-sulphured-molasses

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey TychoMonolyth, thanks for the information. A real spin on sweetening the soil.
Thanks Microbe Man, l guess what l was eluding to is can sulphured molasses be used without killing off the beneficials in brews and if so, what ratios?? It seems all organic growing information breaks down to sulphured "bad", unsulphured "good", without any consideration for the benefits of sulphur in the soil. Another way to look at it is the excess sulphur throwing out a perfectly balanced soil??
Unsulphured can be purchased in health food shops in small tins for an outrageous price but sulphured can be bought in bulk for stock feed.
Cheers 40

I have bought 55 gallon barrels of unsulphured livestock black strap molasses many times. I just ask the supplier for the analysis. ALL molasses has natural sulphur. I guarantee this. Sulphur is added as an anti-fungal. - preservative - same thing.

h.h.

Veteran
Once I add a bunch of water and compost, does the added sulfur in the molasses make that much difference? Have you ever scoped it?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once I add a bunch of water and compost, does the added sulfur in the molasses make that much difference? Have you ever scoped it?

I have only ever avoided using it. However, I have applied sulphur to my soil occasionally. As you know, in a bioreactor environment things are different; the primary goal being multiplying microbes, not providing minerals to the soil.

h.h.

Veteran
I have only ever avoided using it. However, I have applied sulphur to my soil occasionally. As you know, in a bioreactor environment things are different; the primary goal being multiplying microbes, not providing minerals to the soil.

I’ve bought it by accident at the feed Store where all they had was sulfured. I don’t buy it on purpose.

I tend to think that all it will do is slow things down a little in the start. Maybe some of it consumed as well?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’ve bought it by accident at the feed Store where all they had was sulfured. I don’t buy it on purpose.

I tend to think that all it will do is slow things down a little in the start. Maybe some of it consumed as well?

You could be quite right. This is what occurs with fish hydrolysate with added phosphoric acid.

I'm considering collecting a small amount of "compost" from a local riparian/oak woodland habitat and using it as a top dress for my fabric pots...Anyone have any 2 cents or input they want to toss my way? Would this offer much benefit, microbes?

We didn't get much rain this time around (north-central California), but the grasses are nice & lush at the moment.

I'm thinking about collecting the layer of soil just beneath the grass, basically pulling a clump of grass to the side and collecting the "compost"/soil beneath and a few inches down...The area is mostly a mix of oak trees, cottonwoods, tall lush grass at the moment, nettles, chickweed, miner's lettuce, etc etc, typical central/northern California riparian/oakwoodland type habitat...Sandy/loamy soil.

Are there specific locations I should gather? Underneath old fallen tress/logs? In the grassy/meadow areas?

Anything else I should consider collecting and utilizing from those sorts of habitats around my area?...I'll likely end up collecting some nettles, and I'll be cutting down some stalks of the giant reeds (invasive) that grow in these habitats to use for trellising & support.

And I won't be collecting much of anything in particular from this area, I'm just a small time backyard grower so I don't need much material and I try to leave as little impact on our planet as possible. It's an area I've been going to a few times a month since middle school. Used to fish there in the past, I've collected milk thistle seed in this area, have started some mushroom patches around there, it's always been my local nature get-away hang out spot.

h.h.

Veteran
Lack of compost is a good reason for making ACT as well as fermentations. A handful of compost can go a long ways.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was in a small restaurant close to home and I was watching the waitresses do their thing during the morning rush. One would dump the coffee filter full of coffee grounds and make a new pot almost every time she walked past the coffee station. The bin next to the station made my heart skip a beat.

I get their coffee grounds for this weekend and pick it up tomorrow afternoon. :)

h.h.

Veteran
I was in a small restaurant close to home and I was watching the waitresses do their thing during the morning rush. One would dump the coffee filter full of coffee grounds and make a new pot almost every time she walked past the coffee station. The bin next to the station made my heart skip a beat.

I get their coffee grounds for this weekend and pick it up tomorrow afternoon. :)

What about the waitress?

Rico Swazi

Static one year old compost; primarily brown leaves small sticks and green weeds. 2 full bins from 3x3x3 area contained with chicken wire.

View Image

If we were thermally composting we would expect more degradation of woody debris.

Edit; oops actually 3 full bins

Looks as good as my thermophilic compost without the work monitoring and turning for a month.

I don't mind the work as I detest the lazy stoner stigma, always have.

picture.php

Local materials like wood chips and straw have really tightened up since the mill reopened .

“With so many states, like Oregon, working to reduce the use of plastic bags, we are excited to be able to offer a more sustainable choice in paper and packaging,” says Phil Harding, director of technology and sustainability at Willamette Falls Paper Company. “The mill has a long-term goal of developing natural kraft grades with up to 100 per cent straw fibre.”
https://www.pulpandpapercanada.com/...ft-paper-made-with-agricultural-waste-fibres/

Worse yet, one of my arborist friends told me I would have to pay to play if I wanted any chips going forward.
This may be the last of the thermopiles.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks as good as my thermophilic compost without the work monitoring and turning for a month.

I don't mind the work as I detest the lazy stoner stigma, always have.

View Image

Local materials like wood chips and straw have really tightened up since the mill reopened .

https://www.pulpandpapercanada.com/...ft-paper-made-with-agricultural-waste-fibres/

Worse yet, one of my arborist friends told me I would have to pay to play if I wanted any chips going forward.
This may be the last of the thermopiles.

Looks good Rico.

40degsouth

Hey everyone, hope you're well.
Thanks for everyone's reply re the sulphur. I tried to do some further research into the particular molasses l'm using but to no avail. The % is 0.4 but l couldn't find what percentage is present in unsulphured versus sulphured and the company that produces it has shut down, so l couldn't contact them.
Anyway the leaf spot battle continues and one seed plant is probably %60 infected and the Gojis are about %20-30. I have to act now before the infection gets too bad as it seems to spread rapidly through tissue that is approaching senescence.
l've decided to do three separate sprays and after much research one is going to be a chlorine foliar, calcium chlorinate in prill form; 15gs-20 litres. There's basically no studies done into the efficacy or dosage so it's a fly by the seat of my pants experiment. There's nothing to say it's an organic or nonorganic treatment and the only negative things l could find was that as chlorine hits organic matter it breaks down into chloramenes, that are toxic, and it can damage roots and seedlings. This took me down a bit of a rabbit hole regarding town water that is chlorinated and in some countries, other added elements like floride and their effects on soil. One Goji will get this and the worst effected plants unless someone's got any reasons why l shouldn't??
The ones that are the least effected will continue to get the yeast foliar and the ones in between will get a 1-20 salt water foliar.
I'll keep you updated as per the results.
Cheers,

Latest posts

Latest posts