What's new

Living organic soil from start through recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I heard it was 20 joints..but CC knows for sure....
My parents bought 'lids'....Panama Red,Columbian,etc...and of course the Thai sticks. I remember the smells of these types,nothing around like it nowadays...and being fortunate enough in my youth to have sampled them.

Saw some kid this past weekend with what he called Thai stick...It was a bud of some kind of poly-hybrid with a piece of string wrapped around it...I didn't say anything but smelled it....a FAR cry from Thai stick bro.....I dismissed him as trying to pass off a name that he had heard of as the real deal..LAME~

My mom came out with a cool story the other day, in 1974 they had a house on a busy street and evidently my dad,.....grew a crop of tall sativa amongst the corn....,., never knew that about my dad....

gs

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
...flashing on some satty's in the central San Joaquin valley down in Cal I've seen as big as houses....Mexican that goes clear through December if there are no frosts.
That was 1990...not many people around at that time were smart enough to do seed selections and try to find phenotypes that finished sooner....much less work for potency.

They just grew 'pot'...hoping it wouldn't be found out by the pigs.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Hey CC what exactly was a 'lid'? i remember hearing that all the time in the Old Cheech and Chong movies haha

In my bailiwick a lid was a baggy with pot in it. A two finger lid was $5, 3 fingers $7, a zip (zip=oz=Z) was $10. This was of course around 1970. The herb itself was mostly mexi brick of poor quality. Unless you knew the importer/wholesaler who mostly kept higher end spears for themselves. As always things changed. With more coming from Jamaica, Columbia, and Panama prices went up accordingly' but then so did quality. IMHO quality peaked with Thai sticks, although the panama red was neck n neck.

Then of course shit went to hell with disco and the disco drug scene that somehow I escaped by living in a cave....scrappy

ahh the 70's Im sad I missed it. i think I would have fit in, and the music was much better.

A question about Ful-Power,, how often should this be applied as a foliar spray? and should i ever apply it to the soil directly?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
This was the 60's - SOL 67 and all.

A kilo was around $50.00 or so depending on how well you were connected. A 'lid' was just like George Smiley described - a baggie full of pot. If you didn't get at least 50 joints (Zig-Zag Wheat Straw Papers thank you very much - hence Yellow Submarine) - less than 50 and you were pissed off - $.20 per joint as a 'lid' was $10.00 on the mean streets of Laguna Beach and a bit more up in Whittier. Some things are eternal - Laguna is far more 'together' than Whittier.

That would change in a couple of years but for a couple of halcyon summers, pot was cheap, lousy but there were lots of Bahama Mamas who liked surfers and just the rote of rolling & smoking dope had a certain flair what with Vietnam, riots in the cities, Screwheads running the show - it was just me and my partners - the Gallo Brothers - Ernest & Julio

I heard years ago the Nixon had died but I didn't believe it and I won't until I can chew on his skull because it just never got weird enough for me......

Scrappy4

Veteran
That would change in a couple of years but for a couple of halcyon summers, pot was cheap, lousy but there were lots of Bahama Mamas who liked surfers and just the rote of rolling & smoking dope had a certain flair what with Vietnam, riots in the cities, Screwheads running the show - it was just me and my partners - the Gallo Brothers - Ernest & Julio

To be intellectually honest when explaining those days you really have to mention Vietnam, Nixon, the draft and all that, because all this shaped our reality. For me anyway, it was us against them, but in those days it was clear who was us and who was them. It did get complicated because the anti war movement had a lot of ex GIs in it and the drug crowd had bikers who for some wigged out reason leaned towards right wing thinking. But for the most part the lines were clear. I'm quite sure that if you asked a them, it was a scary time of social unrest, but for the us crowd we thought we were the enlightened ones that would some day save humanity with rock and roll, sex and drugs, our weapons of choice.....Uhh' what was the question?

shmalphy

Veteran
I don't buy anything at the hydro store anymore. I was sick of paying $20 for 50 rapid rooters so I started playing with using pro mix in seed cell trays and solo cups instead. I get 3.8 cu ft for about $30 at the wholesale greenhouse supply place, which fills a hell of a lot more trays than 50 rapid rooters, and it works just as well.

I tried using my recycled soil but it just liquified the stems.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Pro-Mix is a great material to use for rooting as Sphagnum peat moss contains compounds that reduce 'damping off' caused by pathogenic fungi

Gascanastan

Veteran
I'd ass-ume that there are different types of fungi present in the soil in different environments....as well as from different regions.....and what is the typical dirt farmers 'idea' of what soil is?...what does it look like,what is it's texture,how does it drain,how is the aeration,etc,etc,etc....

I've never had any rotting issues with cannabis and living recycled soil....Some people would shit if they saw what some of the surfaces of some pots look like...bugs,mold,mushrooms,crazy stuff that 90% of standard issue soil growers would poop themselves over.

Ironically it's these pots that give the highest yields and healthiest plants.....

Jaykush used to say,"keep recycling because it gets better and better.".... dude nailed it with that statement. He's right...it got nothing but better and better. I saw my ph meter in a box today...I already forgot which box.

The more I hand the controls over to nature the better it gets....why fuck with a system that's been doing the same thing for eons...until Jorge,Ed,Kyle,Big dork..er uh mike and the like came to town anyway.....wow.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
One use of an old pH meter might be to use it to dislodge hardened body discharges - mucous, feces, urine, etc.

Get those enzymes while they're movin' and groovin' to a moon-aged child!

Gascanastan

Veteran
One use of an old pH meter might be to use it to dislodge hardened body discharges - mucous, feces, urine, etc.

Get those enzymes while they're movin' and groovin' to a moon-aged child!

We fucking love you man~ MGD..CC1 What a crazy ass world eh.

shmalphy

Veteran
I meant I tried using recycled soil as a rooting medium... The clones didn't take, the stems got rotten... Anything with roots that I have put into recycled soil takes off like a banshee. I think it was just too rich and held too much water for there to be no roots drinking it.. I might try sand, or some mix of sand and compost. I want to find something FREE, as pro mix for clones is one of the only things I still have to actually buy.

mofeta

Veteran
Hi CC

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I was surprised to see a discussion of SAR and saponins.

Isn't it interesting that the saponins that facilitate SAR in plants are also powerful medicinal compounds for humans?

What more powerful adaptogens exist than the triterpenoids in Ginseng, or the steroid nucleus saponins in Yucca? I bet you know about the Agave/hecogenin/cortisone story, don't you?

When I used to get gout, Yucca was better than prednisone, with no side effects. I drink Chia regularly. Aloe is my first line topical anti-inflammatory. Sometimes I eat quinoa. Ginseng makes me ring like a bell.

Besides saponins, what about aspirin? Is there a more useful drug in the doctor's armamentarium? Maybe you could tell the folks reading this thread about about salicylic acid in SAR? Willow water?

Gascanastan

Veteran
mmmm..quinoa cookies.

I do not root in soil,but recently did approximately 30 cuts and stuck them directly into the pots that the cuts were taken from to see if it they would root. About ten survived...but mind you I took no special preparations...just cut them and stuck them in the soil. The ones that died either were rotting..or didn't receive enough moisture. Rooting cuts in biologically active soil from my experience is hit and miss. Now EWC on the other hand....amazing shit right there.

This was just an experiment...no intention to actually use the cuts.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
mofeta

Thanks for your post!

The Saponins and Salicylic acid in Aloe vera are what prompted me to give it a try. After a couple of years using it on a regular basis I wouldn't want to grow plants without it, i.e. it's a 'must have' from my perspective.

Ginseng is very good and if you have a large Asian food store in your area you would probably enjoy trying out the Thai ginger - Galangal

Where are you sourcing your Yucca extract? I was using T & J Enterprises but his prices are pretty tough to deal with - about $33.00 per quart (delivered price) but it definitely is a solid product.

CC

Gascanastan

Veteran
Sooooooo.....I scored these Burmese x Cherry Bomb seeds from Mr. Greengenes a couple years ago and got this really nice looking and sticky stinky red stemmed fat leaved male here....

picture.php

..so naturally I hit this Kali Mist mother from the first Kali Mist seed offering pictured below....(also made some The One x Burmese/Cherry Bomb)...anyone think this is going to be good besides me?? Also anyone have any experience with that old Burmese from Vancouver??? Who's Burmese was this...Vic High's? I think it was from the V.I.S.C. I beileve it's the same Burmese Reeferman had also.

The seeds from this cross (Kali Mist x Burmese/Cherry Bomb) were grown in the same recycled organic soil as everything else....I've got about 300 seeds to dig through to find winners......Organic seeds man.

picture.php

Neo 420

Veteran
Sooooooo.....I scored these Burmese x Cherry Bomb seeds from Mr. Greengenes a couple years ago and got this really nice looking and sticky stinky red stemmed fat leaved male here....

View Image

..so naturally I hit this Kali Mist mother from the first Kali Mist seed offering pictured below....(also made some The One x Burmese/Cherry Bomb)...anyone think this is going to be good besides me?? Also anyone have any experience with that old Burmese from Vancouver??? Who's Burmese was this...Vic High's? I think it was from the V.I.S.C. I beileve it's the same Burmese Reeferman had also.

The seeds from this cross (Kali Mist x Burmese/Cherry Bomb) were grown in the same recycled organic soil as everything else....I've got about 300 seeds to dig through to find winners......Organic seeds man.

View Image

Damn.....beautiful....

Status
Not open for further replies.