What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinking of using local soil...maybe?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Do you ever switch the bulbs in the room or does one half get primarily MH and one HPS?

I see plenty of people primarily commercial vertical guys that swear by the mixed lamps.

I can run both so I'm interested in it. Hps over one half? stretch much ? lol
Since there are two cycles in one space,I have switchable ballasts. I start the new flowers on the MH and then switch to HPS halfway through. (just switch bulbs....easy) That way the developing flowers get more of the red spectrum halfway. Since there are both types firing at all times ,they get a good mix. The plants that sit between the two bulbs are the best looking.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
But it's just a flower room so after a couple weeks the whole room would be hps yeah?
.....both bulbs all the time,just switched halfway through so each side gets the spectrum of light they probably prefer at each stage.............the beginning and the end of flowering.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
No I got that, just when I get this first mess of plants and ill timings through the room I'll gett that sort of timing..... this first cycle is just a clusterfuck. I have mine already 4x4 under each lite so I can always throw a wall up and run the rooms on a flip flop day night or something.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Yeah,I'm loading up on strains that have flowering periods all over the place. This is like a job sorting them out.......and I want more. like a bad habit that's worth the trouble.

grapeman

Veteran
I posted this in the organics for beginners forum but may have been the wrong place. Since I'm wanting to mix soil today,I'm hoping for some feed back soonish.
I have some great soil around my home,it's volcanic/glacial washout,very dark,rich,and grows some of the best looking organic produce at the Farmer's Market(from local farms). I am near the Olympic rain forest,and this stuff looks sweet!
I was considering using it in my mix,and being aware of the potential problems,wondered what you peeps thoughts are on the matter. Possible problems being some dormant nasty root munching grub which would have no natural predator if brought indoors,and the possibilities of picking up some virus or mold spores that could be issues.
I am thinking if I dig down 6 or more inches and remove a layer that is less likely to hold insects and viruses,then it might work out. Then take it to a screen and visually inspect the screened material. Thoughts?

Why don't you check at the local USDA Soil Office or Extension Service. They even have maps online. About the only thing the government does well is give a broad view of our nation's soil. The local guy should provide enough answers for you to make a decision to use some or all of your local soil and what amendments you will want. They have the details of local soil and percentages of sand, clay loam etc... drainage characteristic and more.

http://soils.usda.gov/survey/printed_surveys/

They have more details at the local office. Get the info you need, then tell 'em to fuck off, since they work for the government.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Why don't you check at the local USDA Soil Office or Extension Service. They even have maps online. About the only thing the government does well is give a broad view of our nation's soil. The local guy should provide enough answers for you to make a decision to use some or all of your local soil and what amendments you will want. They have the details of local soil and percentages of sand, clay loam etc... drainage characteristic and more.

http://soils.usda.gov/survey/printed_surveys/

They have more details at the local office. Get the info you need, then tell 'em to fuck off, since they work for the government.

Thanks for the tip. I actually knew this but had long since forgot,...nice reminder.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Here's a couple from tonight. Different lighting or something.

picture.php

picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Two from Tonight...... No issues @ all from the stuff that crawls around in my mix. I can't even begin to explain all the little critters in there.
picture.php

picture.php

T

treefrog

What kind of furniture polish did you use on those leaves?
The indica with the feet in the pic looks prehistoric!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
What kind of furniture polish did you use on those leaves?
The indica with the feet in the pic looks prehistoric!
Lemon Pledge...........with turbo charged dust blockers.
That's my cross of Hawaiian x Cotton Candy X Pure Kush. I have no idea what she's going to do,but it's putting on flowers nice and early.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Just a note - through his generosity I've smoked 2 different strains from Capt.Cheeze and BOTH were stellar and worthy to acquire cuttings.

This guy definitely knows his stuff and I'm not easily impressed.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Just a note - through his generosity I've smoked 2 different strains from Capt.Cheeze and BOTH were stellar and worthy to acquire cuttings.

This guy definitely knows his stuff and I'm not easily impressed.

CC
Did you taste the Lemon Pledge?

T

treefrog

I have actually wondered about using urine for a long time. It would be a good sustainable supply of N is what I'm thinking. All I eat is 'organic' flora and no pharmaceuticals, so the source is good! Have you found a safe ratio?