What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's 0.1ec of epsom salt in mg/l

Nish

Hello can some clever person help me with the question in title.

some info...

I've been growing for a long time in Dwc, then hempy type buckets with rockwool, never really had any issues always used ionic hydro 1 part nutes with tap water.

recently switched to coco and from a 600w hps to a hlg 350r led, I also switched nutrients to dutch pro 1 compo 1 part nutes and having issues with mg defiency.

My tap water is about 0.53 ec (calcium 71.2mg/l / mag 11.34mg/l) bad ratio?

I figure if i bump the ec up 0.1 with epsom salt it will give me a better ratio but I'd like to know how much mg this will add.

cheers

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
What's your goal, a 25ppm Mg boost? 0.25g/L

It's 10% Mg (16%MgO) but there is more sulfur than Mag in it, and I have to guess the rest of it might show on your meter to. I would mix up a liter and see the actual shift on the meter yourself.

Don't be concerned about the sulfur, you will probably need it. It can push out Moly if you want to look for problems arrising from adding something you didn't wish to, but believe me, I'm doing you a solid saying not to worry.

Nish

I guess 3-1 to 4-1 is the ideal ratio so 20-25mg/l extra would be ideal.

I made a stock solution by adding some epsom salt to a litre of water, the idea is I would just add a few ml before adding nutes, wouldn't want to go much above 0.6ec though because I don't like to go over 1.4 total ec and that leaves 0.8 for nutes.

Nish

Bump, can anyone answer the question.

How much magnesium is 0.1 ec of epsom salt represented in mg/l.

I'm sure it's not 64mg/l, seems to high?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm going to presume you have scales that measure in 0.1g graduations.

Take 4 liters of water and measure the EC. Add to this 1g of your salts. Measure again.

You would like to see 0.1 difference in EC from what you are saying. Whatever it says, that is what 25ppm of Mg does to your EC when using these salts.

0.25g is 250milligram is 250ppm is using the 700 scale about 0.3 or 80ppm for 0.1 and looking back at 64 and the fact there is also a 500 scale it all seems to fit.

edit: EC 0.1 = 6.4-8ppm Mg depending on your meter.

Growenhaft

Are you sure IT is mg.?
coconut fiber draws a lot of calzium at the beginning.
Do you have a picture?

Epson salt can reduce the absorption of potassium in the
further course, if mg. Wasn't the problem

Sry for my bad english

Nish

The only meter I use is an ec meter, i got the calcium and magnesium numbers from my water company so unsure what conversion factor is used, wasn't aware that mg/l depended on diff conversion factors tbh.

pretty sure it mg defiency but will upload some pics, can't imagine it could be calcium though with there being so much in my tap water??

Nish

These are 3 diff plants, pics were taken at diff times, all in early flower.

Attachments

• 20210317_103535.jpg
    20210317_103535.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210313_064521.jpg
    20210313_064521.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210321_195441.jpg
    20210321_195441.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210321_195457.jpg
    20210321_195457.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Growenhaft

that depends a lot on your medium. If this is not buffered, the cocophaser will pull the calcium out of your nutrient solution.

if i use pressed coco, which was not properly buffered, my ladies have a calcium deficiency right from the start.
with canna, plagron, atami flakes already prepared in the sacks i got a calcium deficiency by switching to led.
additional cal / mag fixed the problem. but the yield was still worse than usual.

after 3 grows with led, I am now working again with 600w ndl in the aaw
and do not need any additional cal / mag for significantly better harvests.

my tap water is very hard. calcium 92mg / l magnesium 25mg / l

Nish

Should have said I use canna coco plus, what's the ec of your water out of interest?

anyway I think you will agree from the pics that it's mag def?

Growenhaft

my ec is around 0.6. i use a bluelab stirring stick so i don't have any decimal places.

i have just seen your pictures. for a magnesium deficiency, the spaces between the leaf veins are too green for me.
There are several trace elements in my opinion that are missing.
The only question is whether the deficiency is because it is not there or because it is difficult to pick up due to the medium being too wet.
coco stores a lot of water. girls like to let the medium dry properly. that's why i work with smaller pots and water by hand in order to get as many wet / dry phases as possible. because only when the coco dries up can the cocophaser absorb oxygen again, which is important for the roots.
I mostly used canna coco. what is the ec and ph value of your nutrient solution at the moment? coco is canna coco prof. +?

Nish

These plants are still vegging, not really shown any defiency yet but they are the same age as the others and have been fed the same feed up until the others went into 12/12

Attachments

• 20210324_185449.jpg
    20210324_185449.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210324_185343.jpg
    20210324_185343.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210324_185427.jpg
    20210324_185427.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210324_185511.jpg
    20210324_185511.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210324_185543.jpg
    20210324_185543.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Nish

I have been having lows of 17c at nights off and 22 lights on, so coco has been staying wet for longer than I'd like.

feed is 1.3 for the flowering plants last feed inc 0.1ec epsom salt and the day before that it had 1.6ec 0.6ec of which was epsom salt.

Ph around 5.8-6.2

Growenhaft

Sorry, my english is very bad.

I do not understand this sentence correctly

und am Tag zuvor hatte es 1,6ec 0,6ec, wovon Bittersalz war.

you raised your lw to an ec of 0.6 using epsom salt and then added fertilizer to ec 1.6?

With the ph you mentioned and the scheme used, there shouldn't be any problems with canna.

how many liters are in your pots and how often do you have to pour?

based on the pictures i suspect the posture is too wet. this results in poor nutrient absorption and little oxygen in the medium.

Nish

1.6 total ec, 0.5 is the water, 0.5 is the nutes and 0.6 is the epsom salts.

I think your right, temps and lack of oxygen defo playing a role.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
22 is cold. I wouldn't want to sit in there myself, and I'm not an equatorial strain. Many have suffered with warmer conditions. You need to get to 26 at the very least. To get them pulling through some water. That and a 25ppm bump together may still not be enough, but it's a reasonable starting point. 22 just isn't going to work. Leaf tissue actually likes to be 28 and will stay below air temp through evaporation when there is no radiant heat from hot lamps or the sun. You may also need a little more RH than usual, to get them to open their stomata and breathe enough for the extra growth potential of LEDs to be reached.

Nish

When you live in the UK 22c isn't cold lol.

heating isn't really an option I switched from a 600w to a 330w to save money, so if I was to add heating I might aswell switch back to hps.

Yields will undoutably suffer but it will warm up, lows are 23c day and 19c night now.

G

Bump, can anyone answer the question.

How much magnesium is 0.1 ec of epsom salt represented in mg/l.

I'm sure it's not 64mg/l, seems to high?

I put the question mark because I'm not a hydro grower and only relate this info to hardness (calcium), but here's a quote from the Google:

For water, 1 ppm = approximately 1 mg/L (also written as mg/l) of contaminant in water, and 1 ppb = 1 ug/L (also written as ug/l). A measurement of 6 mg/L is the same as 6 ppm or 6,000 ppb, which is equal to 6,000 ug/L.

I don't see how magnesium would play by different rules, but again I'm not in hydro.

Latest posts

Latest posts