What's new

Identifying Female Seeds

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you joking or are you serious? I don't have a very good sense of smell.
lol, I wasn't kidding

I've been growing weed for a long ass time. Growing weed is a personal thing for many of us. We spend a lot of time with our plants. I always test myself when popping reg seeds. Before sexing, I guess what I think ea plant will be. My ratio doing it is pretty good.

Hempy McNoodle

lol, I wasn't kidding

I've been growing weed for a long ass time. Growing weed is a personal thing for many of us. We spend a lot of time with our plants. I always test myself when popping reg seeds. Before sexing, I guess what I think ea plant will be. My ratio doing it is pretty good.

Yeah, I have an old timer friend who also claims to have a very high acuracy by looking at a vegging plant. He said usually the most robust, vigorous, and fastest growing plants tend to be males.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I am an old timer and hope your friend, and I agree with your friend. If I see a more vigorous, tall plant, I assume it is male. Usually is sadly. hehe On the seed thing, I only tried it a bit and did not do well as I recall.

goingrey

What if you want to do a long veg? Do you reverse them back into veg schedule? I haven't tried this. I've taken clones and flowered them, but that method is a pain and takes a lot of time and space and clones don't always take. So, if you grow them to a foot and flower them and then identify the gender and then switch back to veg, does that mess with their growth or slow them down? Or, is it a pretty smooth transition? Do they stop flowering all the way? Or, are they stuck in an in-between phase of growth?

I learned a trick reading aliceklar's thread where you can take a cutting, put it in a glass of water under 12 hours of light, and sex the plant in no time. Definitely gonna try that out the next time I grow a strain that needs a long veg.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Males rocket upwards in order to spread their wares over all the girls. Reaching higher heights and sexual maturity sooner.
I find the stem rub and finger sniff works well. I will cull plants that look and smell like lads, but when it comes to a visual on the seeds, I find it only the outer markings that help
Click image for larger version  Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.femaleseeds.nl%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F10%2F4x-Critical-Sour-scaled.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg Views:	27 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	18049958

Hempy McNoodle

I learned a trick reading aliceklar's thread where you can take a cutting, put it in a glass of water under 12 hours of light, and sex the plant in no time. Definitely gonna try that out the next time I grow a strain that needs a long veg.

I tried this before, but the cuttings died just before flowers could be identified. Probably works best with fast flowering strains. Definitely worth trying though.

Hempy McNoodle

Hmm. I wonder if a cup of coco would work better than just water.

I think it would because it has a chance of growing a root. I'd treat it like a clone and do the rooting gel or powder ( I dip straight into a piece of aloe vera). I may have to give Greyeyes method a try someday. But, then again, if I continue having good results by visually inspecting the seed before planting, then that would be ideal. I think one of these days I'll give the method you shared (Aliceklar's method) another try.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only genetics that takes a long time to show sex is Hazers or long flowering types. You can always buy a sexing kit if you want quick results. Most of what I grow will show sex by week 3 veg.

Hempy McNoodle

The only genetics that takes a long time to show sex is Hazers or long flowering types. You can always buy a sexing kit if you want quick results. Most of what I grow will show sex by week 3 veg.

It is interesting how some plants show flowers during the veg lighting schedule. Most of what I've grown will not show 'pre-flowers.' Most plants have shown usually 6-14 days after the flip. The Double Acapulco Gold and Colombian Gold take around 20-30 days from light flip.

The thing is, I grow in a 4' x 2' closet and space is very limited. So, if I can determine the gender by looking at the seed. That is such a tremendous advantage for me, especially with my particular goals. I'm also kind of poor, lol. So, saving money on soil, fabric pots and saucers is a great thing, but the biggest advantage is the space efficiency. I want to be able to use the whole space to just grow females and if I want pollen from a male, I can grow him off to the side in a tiny container While my females get massive.

So, far all flowers in my small cabinet (under my kitchen counter) are matching my hopeful expectations. 4 out of 10 plants have now shown flowers. It is really 4 out of 8 now because two of the Colombian Golds are runts that might not flower at all. So, I expect the rest to flower in the next few days and so far it is looking like it might be 100%!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is interesting how some plants show flowers during the veg lighting schedule. Most of what I've grown will not show 'pre-flowers.' Most plants have shown usually 6-14 days after the flip. The Double Acapulco Gold and Colombian Gold take around 20-30 days from light flip.

The thing is, I grow in a 4' x 2' closet and space is very limited. So, if I can determine the gender by looking at the seed. That is such a tremendous advantage for me, especially with my particular goals. I'm also kind of poor, lol. So, saving money on soil, fabric pots and saucers is a great thing, but the biggest advantage is the space efficiency. I want to be able to use the whole space to just grow females and if I want pollen from a male, I can grow him off to the side in a tiny container While my females get massive.

So, far all flowers in my small cabinet (under my kitchen counter) are matching my hopeful expectations. 4 out of 10 plants have now shown flowers. It is really 4 out of 8 now because two of the Colombian Golds are runts that might not flower at all. So, I expect the rest to flower in the next few days and so far it is looking like it might be 100%!

I never flower anything until preflowers are visible. All cannabis plants will show these when mature enough

Hempy McNoodle

I never flower anything until preflowers are visible. All cannabis plants will show these when mature enough

Interesting. How do you grow indica hybrids? What pot size how long of a veg and how many branches do you aim for and how do you get them branchy? I'm still developing my "technique." Seems like some indicas grow painfully slow in veg.

goingrey

That's interesting, It's quite uncommon for me to see preflowers three weeks from germination, even when not growing Hazes. Do you use Maxibloom or some other high-PK fertilizer even during veg?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
What if the seed that doesn't have a perfectly round ass you throw away or don't sprout is the one you are looking for?

Grow seed to sexual maturity and see what sex is, it's easy.

I am damn close to perfect predicting males in veg on strains I know but still get a surprise here and there. That's the excitement in growing!

Off to sniff my veg plants.. Hammer please explain?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. How do you grow indica hybrids? What pot size how long of a veg and how many branches do you aim for and how do you get them branchy? I'm still developing my "technique." Seems like some indicas grow painfully slow in veg.

It's a plant, Give them the best conditions they will be happy. The rest isn't important.

That's interesting, It's quite uncommon for me to see preflowers three weeks from germination, even when not growing Hazes. Do you use Maxibloom or some other high-PK fertilizer even during veg?

Most of my plants will show sex by week 4 veg. Many show sooner. Knowing where and what to look for helps. No, I don't use those.

What if the seed that doesn't have a perfectly round ass you throw away or don't sprout is the one you are looking for?

Grow seed to sexual maturity and see what sex is, it's easy.

I am damn close to perfect predicting males in veg on strains I know but still get a surprise here and there. That's the excitement in growing!

Off to sniff my veg plants.. Hammer please explain?

It comes with experience, over the years you will notice males smell different.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Naysayers: If it isn't helpful to know the seeds gender, then why do people buy female seeds??

LOL, Hempy you are sooooo Confused.. Trying to tell the sex from the seed size/shape cant be done.. Making female seeds is the only way to know their female seeds. It's the pollen dude.

Latest posts

Latest posts