What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Well you can write a book about it, but without any pictures it's still a fairy tale.Even High Times did not mention opiates Thai sticks back in the days in one of their magazines.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i clearly said thai stick hempy ,
we all know some of the hill tribes grow cannabis ,
but the thai sticks came from a different area ,
its been said over and over and over and over ,

also dont believe everything you read ,
a few pages back was a fine example of the crap folks sometimes write ,
as is the stuff you have just quoted ,
its fictional ...

give it up man ,, we all have better things to do than read that shit ....

you dont even answer the questions directed at you ,
or explain how this imaginary trade you theorize about went on ,
and how one group of people growing opium decided to give it away to another group for free ,

not sure if you are aware of this , but thai people are very business minded folks ,
they dont tend to give away stuff for free when they can make money from it ...

you have no idea of the geography or the customs and cultures in thailand ,
so you are not able to debate about the place hempy ,
its as simple as that ,, you are just grasping at straws with fictional writings to try and prove your silly theory,
as i said give it up mate , you are wrong and need to stop making yourself look foolish and desperate ...

go back to the haze wars , the opium wars are over ....

Cvh

Supermod
Has anybody here ever tried to make/replicate opium dipped (Thai) sticks? Preferably using that 'Early Water' method? Or knows somebody who did?

mexcurandero420

Veteran
Another thing that the constituents in opium and that is mainly morphine, is not soluble in water, only alcohol.The deritatives like morphine sulfate or hcl are soluble in water, but not found in opium, so opium water is imo a fairytale too.

romanoweed

musigny23

You was trekking in thailand in 73?

Did you spot Ganja Gardens too? I still search any Reports from 70s Thai, how it was grown, meaning how many Plants, how widespread it was. I need to know. Any info Welcome

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
It all makes sense now
20180505 093049

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
musigny23

Did you spot Ganja Gardens too? I still search any Reports from 70s Thai, how it was grown, meaning how many Plants, how widespread it was. I need to know. Any info Welcome

a lot of folks at least where my ex wife lived out in isaan , grew a few plants just to put in soups etc ,
she recognized the leaf from pictures of thai weed i had on my computer once and said her father always had a plant or 2 growing in the backyard ,
i guess they were taking advantage of the medicinal properties .
im sure he wasnt the only one doing that ..

a friend from Laos said many still grow it there , a few in the back yard ,
as they dont punish for possession of cannabis there like they do in thailand ..

I guess it became a bit more commercial when they realized there was a trade for it when american soldiers were stationed near the borders in the north east during the Vietnam war..

acespicoli

The first restrictions on opium were passed by the Qing in 1729 when Madak (a substance made from powdered opium blended with tobacco) was banned. Madak was prepared by blending opium from Java with domestic Chinese hemp and herbs, boiling the mix in pans and, finally, mixing with tobacco.

https://www.historylink. org/File/7331

BarnesIsland_marijuanaBales1978.jpg

Last edited:

musigny23

musigny23

No, I wrote that I started smoking in '73. I saw (and sold) Thai sticks in the US in the late 70s and early 80s. I spent considerable time in Thailand in the 80s. The 80s were a low point for ganja in many areas of the world. The US led War On Drugs was in full swing and many governments had followed along with heavy eradication efforts. When I trekked in the mountains of northern Thailand I saw only scattered small poppy fields. I didn't see any cannabis growing on those treks. Most of the poppy farming had been pushed north into Burma. The hill tribes of that area were not traditional cannabis growers. There was some around, I got some from a guide but it was very average quality. Most of the ganja I saw in Thailand ('86-'89) was much lower quality than what I saw in the US earlier.

In the part of California where I was, the sticks stopped about 1981. It then switched to untied or "stickless". The first loads of stickless were as good as the good sticks. I remember one load in particular, one of the very first of the untied stickless that was only lightly pressed, fresh, dark green, very visibly resinous and super strong. I never saw anything as good after that. But you must remember that where I was in California, our local home growing scene was booming at that time. We soon had plenty of homegrown we preferred to the lesser quality Thai that became the norm in the 80s. Faster flowering broadleaf types had swept in and pure long flowering narrow leaf types were fast disappearing. The true Afghan hashplant types had arrived en masse in the mid 70s and had been immediately bred with the existing Mexican and Columbian types. The mass hybridizing of California had begun and it has never stopped since.

romanoweed

Then shes got a good Eye.
Matches with what i heard once: SE Asian People smoke it sporadically. Its not planted like: "oh i need 4 Plants per Year, so thats what i grow". More sporadically.

Funny, in Switzerland (here) they had an old Heirloom "Strawberry". Its speculated to derivered from Afghan. But the Point is: they grew it mostly for the nice Look, so thats what they selected for. Mainy Houswives kept it like a "Flower". It was also smoked, but rather sporadically.

Its interesting, cause if thats really the Case, remarkable that this may lead to the strongest Weed on Earth..
Anyway, the Swiss Strawberry was not remarkably strong, but shure kept its "sheen" and was regarded super sweet smeeling and tasting.. of Strawberries

If they grew for medical, shure, it reflects instantly in potent Selection.. Still remarkable how we sometimes fight for the net best Thai-Pheno in western World, and Thaipeople ASSUMABLY, just assumably didnt, i mean if its not held like your "mentl health" depends on it.. Probably isnt selected very EXACT

I wanna point out thats just one two people who told it was smoked rather sporadically.. But i tend to trust, cause its not what i would expected to hear, so it may have some Truth.. Cause who can make that up? Must have great Pahntasies..
Probably Tribes held it very different and smoked more frequent and tried to go very deep in their Shamanic Rituals and thats where THE Thai came from? No idea, just a thought..

musigny23

musigny23

So how did the best Thai stick compare to the best of what the Haze Bros.were offering? Was one head and shoulders above the other or both pretty much in the same ball park?

Well, it was many many tokes ago and I was 19 -20 years old, Most of my consumption prior to arriving in Santa Cruz had been Columbian and Mexican and occasionally Thai sticks. The Haze Brothers that I remember was the most expensive pot in town. It was also unique in the the marketplace. At that point most everybody growing locally had shifted to growing the brand new broadleaf hybrids. The Purple Haze I remember was lavender colored 15 cm spears neatly lined up side by side in the baggie. Super narrow spidery leaves. And doing my best to remember, I'd say the potency and effects of the best sticks and the HB Haze were very comparable and similar although the smoking experience was very different. Completely different smell and taste.

In CA pure narrow leaf long flowering types pretty much disappeared. Especially after Reagan got in and C.A.M.P. started in '82. It became an absolute necessity to grow the fastest flowering strains you could find. Growers had one chance a year so you really had to succeed or you were in serious financial trouble. There was no such thing as indoor back then. To be a commercial pot grower you had to move to remote undeveloped areas. It was a serious life choice commitment. After '82 it became much more challenging and risky in so many ways. Nobody knew it at the time but the pre '82 era was a golden one that was gone forever.

romanoweed

yes musigny23 in 86 the Quality is uncomparable to the real Deal Thai, i heard it thousand Times, i trust it.

I just wanted to emphasize how they made that good Ganja. Would be very benefitial to know insights, thanks Donald too.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yes musigny23 in 86 the Quality is uncomparable to the real Deal Thai, i heard it thousand Times, i trust it.

I just wanted to emphasize how they made that good Ganja. Would be very benefitial to know insights, thanks Donald too.

welcome roman ,
i think its important to note that the thai while it was likely selected well ,
thai people have a good eye ,
that the climate , as you have said a few times roman ,
also played its part in creating such good weed ....

also that smoking there is a working mans thing ,
they like strong liquor and strong pot,

both are still consumed by the same crowd out in the provinces where the thai stick was grown ,
my step son when seeing my bamboo bong , knew exactly what he was looking at ,
his mother was concerned about him seeing it ,
but i saw the look on his face and asked if he had seen bongs before ,
he said yes , lots of younger people smoked them in Thailand still in the Buriram province they were from ,
they also drink rice wine , which is very strong ,
folks that work hard like to get zonked out ... i think it has always been the case ....

G

I had a short but difficult conversation with Hempy at another Forum. I think he has a mental disorder one of which symptoms is passive aggression. I think he just loves it when he talks shit and unsuspecting people talk back to him. In a sense Wal, your post would have made his day. (Not that I mean you shouldn'ta replied ... Ya gotta call out bullshit when it's around. Ooroo!)

i clearly said thai stick hempy ,

you dont even answer the questions directed at you ,
or explain how this imaginary trade you theorize about went on ,
and how one group of people growing opium decided to give it away to another group for free ,

you have no idea of the geography or the customs and cultures in thailand ,
so you are not able to debate about the place hempy ,
its as simple as that ,, you are just grasping at straws with fictional writings to try and prove your silly theory,
as i said give it up mate , you are wrong and need to stop making yourself look foolish and desperate ...

go back to the haze wars , the opium wars are over ....

mexcurandero420

Veteran
ThaiSticks_growing.jpg

thai-sticks-curing.jpg

ThaiSticks_harvesting.jpg

ThaiSticks_pencil.jpg

Sinsemilla buds from Thailand wrapped around a hemp stem with thin red thread were among the most coveted forms of marijuana in the 1970s and 1980s.

ThaiSticks_elephant.jpg

One former smuggler claims that the quality test for the weed involved throwing one against the wall to see if it would stick.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I had a short but difficult conversation with Hempy at another Forum. I think he has a mental disorder one of which symptoms is passive aggression. I think he just loves it when he talks shit and unsuspecting people talk back to him. In a sense Wal, your post would have made his day. (Not that I mean you shouldn'ta replied ... Ya gotta call out bullshit when it's around. Ooroo!)

probably right satty ,
another person diagnosed it as "Dunning/Kruger Syndrome" ,
id say both are accurate , its a complex thing it seems ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

probably right satty ,
another person diagnosed it as "Dunning/Kruger Syndrome" ,
id say both are accurate , its a complex thing it seems ...

You guys just continue to hit new lows Donald your a Moderator you should be leading by example mate not flaming and trolling members.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You guys just continue to hit new lows Donald your a Moderator you should be leading by example mate not flaming and trolling members.

i just did some moderating and im totally worn out now ,, lol ..

its what your talking about is called constructive criticism and is allowed ,
as long as its not personal attacks , or swearing , etc ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
i just did some moderating and im totally worn out now ,, lol ..

its what your talking about is called constructive criticism and is allowed ,
as long as its not personal attacks , or swearing , etc ...

Its okay Donald the forums membership can clearly see what is going on.

Why do people bully?

There are different reasons why people bully, including:
  • wanting to dominate others and improve their social status
  • having low self-esteem
  • having a lack of remorse or failing to recognise their behaviour as a problem
  • feeling angry or frustrated
  • struggling socially
  • being the victim of bullying themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts