What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Mexican Landraces Thread

west-eu

First Lady not in flo yet
picture.php

Acapulco Gold / Purple Mexican
picture.php

Highland Mexican x Blueberry f2
picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
Found this online.

Acapulco Gold was a broadly used name applied to many strains of Mexican cannabis in the late 60s.
Acapulco was a cruise ship, jet set and bohemian tourist destination at the time and thus, Acapulco
Gold was named after where it was sold, not grown. Most Mexican grass was golden in color, though
red strains were plentiful, especially from Guerrero area.

west-eu

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
WOW Koondense, that Double Oaxaca#4 is a beauty, so frosty and colorfull. Seems they like your LED and growing Skills. Seems the CBG Oaxaca'79S1 really is boosting the swollen calyxes in that cross. :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Pre indica highland Oaxacan Gold x Original Haze f2-ing.

Two females and two males so far. My restriction technique has kept them smaller than expected and the other male seemed to start pushing preflowers on 24/0. I'll keep him there to see what happens. The rest will go to a 11/13 light schedule starting today.

The Oaxacan was an s1 from idiit (you around buddy?) Since I had no Mexican male I used the next best thing, the mostly Colombian haze. Both red and green/golden phenotypes were found in the Mexican s1. The green phenotype below was used for this
cross. The plants in the s1 were classic DJ Shorts style Oaxacans and took around 90 days to flower. (Although were best cut a couple weeks earlier.) They really did cure to a golden yellow color..

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
The original DJ Shorts description including the part about Chocolate Thai for reference:

THE Original, Heritage, Landrace Highland Oaxaca Gold

The Oaxaca Highland Gold, somewhat similar to the Colombian Gold, lacked bright gold color but sported purple and red calyx tips on its blondish-brownish-green buds. It had larger buds surrounded by long, skinny leaves. It was a nearly pure Sativa which grew tall at 45°N, outdoors. It was also one of the most symmetrical Sativas I have encountered. The plants grew long side branches toward the bottom, and the even growth made these productive beauties look like Christmas trees when mature.

The Finished Product: A very sweet and spicy herb of the highest quality, with a hint of fruity pine aroma. ) A certain, unmistakable flavor comes to mind: that of incense cedar/frankincense/burgundy/floral with spicy/savory undertones. Coffee, chocolate and fine tobacco were also present, but the sweet incense cedar is what I most recall from the Highland Oaxaca. It produced the most desirable finished product, in my opinion, and has yet to be replicated to my complete satisfaction. The seeds for this variety were small, dark and round, and the plants exhibited slight signs of hermaphroditism and required surveillance to maintain seedlessness.

The High: A long lasting, creeper high that kept coming on in waves over the hours, this stuff had no ceiling. One phenomenon consistently reported from the Highland Oaxaca experience was that of peripheral visual distortions of primarily cartoon color images. This tended to increase the visual distortions caused by other psychedelics such as mushrooms or LSD.

Smoke Report:
I smoked this variety during brief periods in the early 70's and again in the late 70's, paying anywhere between $40 and $120 per ounce. It was some of my all-time favorite because the aroma and flavor were of a super-spicy cedar incense with a slight fermented berry taste, in a very comfortable yet powerfully psychedelic pot. This herb contributed to many great parties, concerts and events of the era because it produced a very socially-conscious experience and mixed well with other psychedelics.

Highland Oaxaca Gold vs. Chocolate Thai:
The Highland Oaxaca was structurally a different strain (tall, with a definite main-stem, symmetric with less hermaphroditism and better formed buds). The two were crossed and the resulting seeds produced the famed Purple Thai that I was able to use for quite awhile. The Purple Thai exhibited the symmetry and desirability of the Oaxaca with the potency and dark coloration of the Chocolate Thai–the best of both worlds, and its hermaphroditism was much more manageable. It also cloned well. The plants from these seeds also passed the test of equal or improved quality progeny in terms of finished product. Personally I preferred the finished product of the Purple Thai to the Chocolate, not just due to its growth patterns but in terms of the overall effect.

(His lacked the bright golden color but maybe we mean different things by that)

-t