What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snow High Seeds' Double Acapulco Gold

vtgirl

Happy new year Hempy McNoodle!
Thank you for the great report Hempy McNoodle , glad you enjoy them!

If you're still cool with it, I'll chime in with a long overdue update.

My two males surprisingly stayed firm (flowered them till the very end) although they were not extreme NLD leaners. However I am encountering some hermies. A runt which started to flower latest (like 3 weeks after everything else) turned out to be a full on hermie. Mixed pistils and balls early on. Out of the remaining 6 females 3 show varying degrees of late intersex traits. Started over the Xmas/NYE period. Two light (some nanners, which I'm plucking off every 3 days) and one medium-heavy with many nanners and some balls. Harvested the latter one to reduce pollination recently at week 14 about 2 weeks early.
Express-dried some of it in the oven and the effect is promising. I can see some similarities with the pheno's you got.

I think this is similar to your medusa pheno, featuring larger bracts and good resin coverage, yet quite NLD leaf shape. Plant #1 from my post on page 8 of this thread.
Day 95/ day 60 flower:

And day 134/ day 100 flower:

Late hermie #3 before harvest:

Number 8 which is similar to your big "Gold" pheno. She's the latest of the bunch, will hopefully be ok without too much intersex action for the next 4 weeks till harvest. Here on day 111/ day 75 flower:

Got one pheno with more WLD influence (in leaf shape and flower structure), which is almost done and stayed firm so far. Will post pics when harvesting.

Smells are in the piney/woody/citrus spectrum with some slight mintyness on the two latest, lighter green/gold phenos. So pretty similar to what you got. Generally I'd say there's two distinct pheno's. The lighter green/gold ones, which are very NLD and long flowering (about 18-20 weeks at a guess) with small bracts and this minty note. Then the darker ones, with bigger, tighter flowers and varying degrees of WLD influence. My #1 is the most NLD in leaf shape and #5 the most WLD. #3 and the not pictured #4 are somewhere in the middle. #6 & #8 are the green/gold one.

This leads me to speculate that the green/gold, late, airy one is the late 60's part and the darker, slightly WLD influenced is the 70's part of this line.

A friend in the US grew these outdoors and did not encounter hermies (he did while growing indoors from seed earlier). Not surprisingly these are sensitive to stress indoors. I want to mention that I do stress them in 6L/1.5gal pots, LED (some added UVA & UVB), growing organically. I think if you grow these outdoors, you will not encounter many hermies. Totally cool in my books, given we're talking lightly inbred landrace here. Happy with the grow & genetics so far :)

What a dirty bitch

Hempy McNoodle

I'd like to see someone show conclusively if the seed selection thing works. I am doubtful based on my tries, but it's interesting to follow along.

Is that the 1972 CG from Tropical Seeds? I think I still have a pack.

I got them from Underground, but I believe it is the same exact line as Tropical's. Same photos on both sites. I had an unlucky pack with some week and deformed plants. But, there were some that were okay. The strain has great reviews generally.

Hempy McNoodle

I've got to say... Since writing that smoke report, certain things in my life (situations) which have been deeply bothering me and causing me much stress and unhappiness have been resolved. I think these situations had an impact on how the effects of this cannabis felt to me. Since these situations resolved. I have been enjoying the Double Acapulco Gold immensely! That goes for all three phenos. I no longer find them to be anxiety producing. The highs from them are potent. And have a somewhat high ceiling. I just love this stuff!

herbgreen

Veteran
:D:D:D Amazing Plants BTW ....wow! :plant grow:

As far as avoiding inter-sex problems....First bear in mind snowhigh grows most of this stuff outdoors and under plastic...outdoors

You may want to consider gradual timer change to 11.5/12.5 is what I would use

I would try running clones off of mature vegetative plants

What I mean is plant maturity is more or less reached when plant starts alternating nodes 7-8 nodes up depending on the plant

Its good practice to wait for"plant maturity" before taking clones

This type of early preventative thing has been known to work well

Plant maturity can make a bigger diff in sativas even if people like going straight from seeds it can work but....anyway

seeds from outdoor plants are more sensitive indoors...the clones some reason can hack it better

Hempy McNoodle

Thanks for the advice herbgreen! I totally agree that plants should have at leat a little time to mature before flowering. And, I've heard that about clones being more robust (mature) than plants which get flowered too soon. I vegged mine for 2 or three weeks before flowering.

My CG72 are from the JGL line I believe.

Most of the plants under my kitchen counter are flowering now and I will have an exciting update soon!

herbgreen

Veteran
Sounds good, yeah I can see you veg'd those good...You have the ceiling for it !

There may be a lot more tricks you can gather....nutrients or temps or lights etc Cob looks like great light

The nodes are long distance It can be more than cumbersome with this type of plant that is evident for sure but it is noteworthy to count and watch for alternating before doing much

It may be easier..... even if counter-intuitive... to grow a great big veg plant And then use it as mother ....but it seems to be the work around for this type of thing

herbgreen

Veteran
Thanks for the advice herbgreen! I totally agree that plants should have at leat a little time to mature before flowering. And, I've heard that about clones being more robust (mature) than plants which get flowered too soon. I vegged mine for 2 or three weeks before flowering.

My CG72 are from the JGL line I believe.

Most of the plants under my kitchen counter are flowering now and I will have an exciting update soon!

New thread or update here...?

You can see here on pg 6 alternating vs the 'christmas tree' like activity on the rest of the plant These dont show alternating nodes until late or Until deep into flower ...These grow forever in veg in the wild apparently

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...lco-gold/page6

If you have clones of those they would be alternating already ....may contribute to stability

Morcheeba*

Veteran
it may be news to new growers who think breeding or pollen chucking with hermies is ok but yall can keep cross dressers to fuck up a crop if you want.

i know some may flame me for being this snobby but ive got no time for unstable genetics that show intersex traits and imo they have no place in the gene pool.

good luck and i hope you find what your looking for w/o too many ladyboys showing up.

peace

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The results are in! You can get true females from seeds pollenated by a hermie male and you can identify those seeds by examining the seed to be planted! :greenstars:

https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...6#post18059656
This has been known for ages. Yes you can get true females, but the use of a hermaphrodite means that you increased likelihood of getting a hermie in the offspring or down the track. No one with any breeding know how would use a hermie.

You have not got a clue what a real experiment is, if you are calling what you do an experiment. You are doing a disservice to the community by presenting this bullshit. You cannot tell sex of a plant by examining the seed. Growing 8 plants in a closet does not count as an experiment.

Hempy McNoodle

Well, thank you. I think I have found it. Exactly what I've been looking for. I'm not selling these. They are my own stash. So, what do I care if the male had a few pistils. I'm sure they weren't checking for this in 1970, either.

So, I recently acquired another line of vintage Acapulco Gold Seeds and now if I happen to get a true male from that line, I can cross it to a true female from the Snow High Line (if I want to).

I can't wait to try this next with some asian sativas!

herbgreen

Veteran
Right on hempy mcnoodle, Its an exceedingly rare and interesting line

If you can avoid using an intersex plant avoid using them

I think what you did was ok ...I know its been done and worked out before

And when there is no alternative Its been done

Documentation is key in situation like that.

... Run clones off the seed plants and you may avoid it altogether

Reverse the females that are solid....That will give you seeds!

Sounds like you are keeping track of what youre doing And that's good.

Latest posts

Latest posts