What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Freakshow (fern leaf strain) by shapeshifter/humboldt seed company

Diuc

I have been using this forum for long time as anonymous and just registered to give something back to this community! :tiphat:

I have been for months wanting this strain and it's been so difficult to find it since I'm from Europe. I hoped to grab it at Spannabis but it's been cancelled... so I recently found that Freakshow seeds are available at humboldt seed company spain's online store, it's the .es not the .com online page. Seems that they only ship to Europe but this might be interesting for european members of the forum!

$20 a seed for fem?
I’ll wait for someone to knock up some copies...
Honestly, this 20 a seed is BS!

I don't like the aspect of the culture that's been in the forums for years of that the idea is to find a keeper in a 10 pack. When every once in a while someone comes out of the woodworks with a load of experience and they are basically recommending people to pop multiple packs to do any sort of selection.

It makes me think that either the pop 1 pack guys that find there "keeper" are either getting lucky or they aren't really finding true keepers.

It also puts pressure on the seedmakers to select towards having "keepers" show up more often so they can sell a bunch of their single packs since the market shifted to being able to sell 1 pack per customer. So, now that causes them to jack up the prices and sell more varieties to be able to have repeat customers.

Which makes it ridiculously expensive to do any real selection work since the buy in to do a selection becomes astronomical.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
So what's up? No one has started a grow yet?
picture.php

:tiphat:

I think art.spliff started as well.

rolandomota

Veteran
I have a mini forest starting to sex on 12 12 from seed crowded not for smoke production but specific for f2 making

teide

Veteran
That's great, Tycho and rolandomota!
So the leaf pattern is consistent in all individuals? A recessive trait which Humboldt managed to find in the male as well, so now it breeds true?
I am stoked that you are growing it out, looking forward to grow and smoke reports!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
There's variance in the leaf patterns. As for them holding true, we shall see.

Because it's a recessive trait, as far as I know, you will lose it when crossing. Again, we shall see. lol. But I don't see a crossing in this season.

freakshowprimary.jpg

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^^ Variations show that it's not 100% inbred. To me as long as the leaves all look funky fern like it's totally cool.

teide

Veteran
Totally agree. As Long as they are funky fern, variation is okay.
If it is a recessive trait as in autoflowering, I guess a male and female with fern leaves will give fern offspring when crossed with each other. No sweat, you have unlimited fern plants onwards. If crossed with another strain, it will take quite some time and work to achieve stable fern traits in the hybrid offspring. I am sure we will see new varieties of the freakshow in a few years.

teide

Veteran
I also don't think the price was unreal, there has been enough breed work behind it to justify it. Funny how something that earlier was considered an unwanted mutation now has higher value for stealth and novelty. I am sure the leaves will be a benefit in your outdoors grows, tycho. I want the seeds myself, for both stealth and outdoor hardiness. Some mention ducksfoot would be a good pheno to breed into this. I think that would be redundant, these leaves are even more stealthy to me, as ducksfoot leaves(at least my auto duck) seem to revert when in flowering. The buds give it away when in flowering, anyway..
My suggestion for an even better pheno to add to this freak is quaze.
Imagine the bud structure of quaze and pearly pheno senior Garcia/Dr. Grinspoon! That would be a perfect match with these leaves! The plant would be harder to recognize even when in flowering!

troutman

Seed Whore
Whatever you guys do. Make sure you make pure seeds and save them just in case the breeder stops selling them. :tiphat:

zif

Veteran
@7eastgenetics on IG posted a video of a cross, RareDankness #1 x Freakshow. They claim it’s an F1, and found a number (% unclear) of fern-leaf phenotypes. If that’s true, then the genetics are not as simple as the autoflowering trait (I.e., single locus recessive).

The upshot is that fern-leaved phenos in F1 means we would see a lot more of them. Given that there must be at least one dominant gene involved, stabilization will be trickier, though.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it’s the first apparent cross I’ve seen ‘in the wild’.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
@7eastgenetics on IG posted a video of a cross, RareDankness #1 x Freakshow. They claim it’s an F1, and found a number (% unclear) of fern-leaf phenotypes. If that’s true, then the genetics are not as simple as the autoflowering trait (I.e., single locus recessive).

The upshot is that fern-leaved phenos in F1 means we would see a lot more of them. Given that there must be at least one dominant gene involved, stabilization will be trickier, though.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it’s the first apparent cross I’ve seen ‘in the wild’.

Maybe an F1 of his cross. I can guarantee you, Freakshow F1s would be completely unavailable even with deep pockets. They'd *never let it go. There are some F2s of strains around, and you can find them for sale, but they're mostly F3&4. I sell my strain's F2s but that's as good as it gets because the F1s are in long term storage and not going anywhere anytime soon.

zif

Veteran
^ not sure what you mean. Whose cross?

The freakshow release is apparently a bx4. The cross I mentioned was supposed to be the RD1 x that release.

My point was just that the idea the fern-leaf trait is recessive requires F1s between the release and other lines to be all normal-leaved. The only cross I’ve seen claimed has a mix of fern- and normal- leaved plants. So, it’s not a recessive trait.

In other words, new F1s with the released freakshow may turn out really fun, in that many plants will emerge with the crazy leaf form.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Freakshow was only released to the public in December of 2019 three months ago. October 2020 will be the first time we see it grown :)

zif

Veteran
@7eastgenetics is now posting that it’s an F2. Unless he got the freakshow early, that’s BS. I’m leaning to he just posted some freakshow seedlings and he’s trying to look cool.

If it is an F1, it’s really interesting.

Who knows!

Last edited:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Swirski mites or Plant Therapy? Open pollination would be F2 or IBL stabilized? Reading the definitions it matters how you view parents or the definitions for the terms themselves P1, S1, F1, etc. 'Hybrid' tomatoes are bland ok or pretty good at best not great and still get disease. Heirlooms are smaller or yield less on average overall technically speaking however why not plant more or manage varying cultivars with less concern for mass yield.

Latest posts

Latest posts