What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

Cloneman

Veteran
Yes and from these recent posts, the plants will have either nice shiny plates or nice shiny hair..

Cvh

Supermod
If you're having trouble trying to find a Yucca extract then look also into Bio Nova FreeFlow. It's a commonly sold product in hydrostores or online webshops. It's pure Yucca extract. I use it personally too in my STS preparations.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bio-Nova-Free-Flow-250/dp/B01N3A585H
(This link is just for example, I wouldn't buy it from this seller, he vastly overcharges).

If you're having trouble trying to find a Yucca extract then look also into Bio Nova FreeFlow. It's a commonly sold product in hydrostores or online webshops. It's pure Yucca extract. I use it personally too in my STS preparations.

(This link is just for example, I wouldn't buy it from this seller, he vastly overcharges).

Ok, thank you. I do trust bio nova, i use their nutes.

And how much for 200 mL of STS solution for instance?

Cvh

Supermod
^I use one ml of Bio Nova FreeFlow on a liter of prepared STS. Less would probably work also just fine but one ml on a liter works for me.
Just shake it up after adding, it might foam a bit for a short while.

Freakazoid44

"Dawn"

"Dawn"

A drop or two of dishwashing liquid works fine and won't hurt anything.

Detergents are surfacants, by design, so they disrupt the hydrogen bonding that makes water want to bead/pool together, so when you spray it as a mist on the plant, that mist will stay disbursed and cover more of the plant with a thin sheen, instead of beading together and dripping off (or, at least, dripping off even more).

Why spend so much more for yucca extract?

Last edited:
A drop or two of dishwashing liquid works fine and won't hurt anything.

Detergents are surfacants, by design, so they disrupt the hydrogen bonding that makes water want to bead/pool together, so when you spray it as a mist on the plant, that mist will stay disbursed and cover more of the plant with a thin sheen, instead of beading together and dripping off (or, at least, dripping off even more).

Why spend so much more for yucca extract?

I used dish liquid this time, and my sprayer is quite powerfull, so it drips off a little bit. I sprayed only one branch as i want to self and get buds, and today was the first day of 12/12 and second spray... Hope it works...

Freakazoid44

I used dish liquid this time, and my sprayer is quite powerfull, so it drips off a little bit. I sprayed only one branch as i want to self and get buds, and today was the first day of 12/12 and second spray... Hope it works...

I tried the same thing - pollen on the lower branches, harvested the main cola, and pollinated some of the branches in between. I was a bit skeptical that the timing would work (figured it might be too late in the maturity of the plant to pollinate and get fully developed seeds in time), but since harvesting the rest of the pollen and the smokeable portion it does look like the seeds are coming along.

Maybe, maybe not, I don't have the experience to tell. We'll know for sure in a few more weeks. I'm not messing with anything until that plant has died of old age.

I tried the same thing - pollen on the lower branches, harvested the main cola, and pollinated some of the branches in between. I was a bit skeptical that the timing would work (figured it might be too late in the maturity of the plant to pollinate and get fully developed seeds in time), but since harvesting the rest of the pollen and the smokeable portion it does look like the seeds are coming along.

Maybe, maybe not, I don't have the experience to tell. We'll know for sure in a few more weeks. I'm not messing with anything until that plant has died of old age.

So it worked for me, the branch i've sprayed is giving male flowers. The other plants are still straight females but they show more trichs than the treated one. 3 weeks of 12/12... To be continued...

Cvh

Supermod
Very great to hearing about all your guys success up until now. Keep up the good work!

And you would be surprised how long a plant can actually go beyond your typical harvest time.
If you have pollinated a bit late, then just keep on flowering the plant until it can go no more and falls over. It can go for a long time.

Let's us know how your current tests are progressing.

Cheers

Freakazoid44

Very great to hearing about all your guys success up until now. Keep up the good work!

And you would be surprised how long a plant can actually go beyond your typical harvest time.
If you have pollinated a bit late, then just keep on flowering the plant until it can go no more and falls over. It can go for a long time.

Let's us know how your current tests are progressing.

Cheers

Yeah, we're in the third month after I cut off the non-pollinated flowers. Still going, and will be allowed to keep going as long as it possibly can.

Freakazoid44

So it worked for me, the branch i've sprayed is giving male flowers. The other plants are still straight females but they show more trichs than the treated one. 3 weeks of 12/12... To be continued...

My question is more about whether it have the time to develop fully ripened and viable seeds with hard shells. The first one I tried everything was very late in the cycle, and while there was a rounding/fattening of the female flower pods, everything was mush, as the seeds never fully developed. So THAT's what I'm questioning/hoping/wondering about. Until I produce my first batch of good seeds, I'm going to be anxious that I screwed it up.

If only I had something mild and safe to help me deal with this low-grade anxiety......

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I let seeds ripen a minimum of 5 weeks, and I prefer to let them go 6. At 6 weeks, some of the seeds should be splitting out of their husks and falling off the plant.

I am unable to stress how much less stress there is when pollen is saved and preserved. You can confidently pull out a bit of pollen when you need it, right when the plant is full of pistils and ready for it. :)

Freakazoid44

I let seeds ripen a minimum of 5 weeks, and I prefer to let them go 6. At 6 weeks, some of the seeds should be splitting out of their husks and falling off the plant.

I am unable to stress how much less stress there is when pollen is saved and preserved. You can confidently pull out a bit of pollen when you need it, right when the plant is full of pistils and ready for it. :)

Definitely. The flowers I harvested after it deemed it "too late" for same-plant pollinating had a higher amount of pollen in them, as well, so I have that dried and in the freezer, waiting until I have the space to pollinate a female whenever I feel like it's ready.

Freakazoid44

I'm probably a good ten weeks after pollination now. Pulled one "seed" off - it was very dense inside the pod, and I had hopes it would be a seed, but no hard shell covering, at all.

I'm thinking this isn't going to happen this time around. We'll have to see how the next one goes with saved pollen in hand, waiting, I think.

Does a partially "sprayed" female give less trichomes on the non sprayed buds than if it was not sprayed ? (i hope it's still english)
Thanks

Last edited: