What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Deere

Veteran
I've never had the pleasure of seeing a cannabis tree in real life. Someday. Thanks to all for keeping the fires lit.

masamaaso

Veteran
My Girls from South East Asia,,,way south ,,not really east and not really Asia but hey who the hell am I to question such things..
Where I live is a few steps beyond even the province, In fact I live in a Nat Geo special on a small Island deep deeeeeeep in south WESTERN Visayas,Picture the Island from the movie "King Kong" ,,place looks just like it, but the Monkeys here are small..The lack of weed floored me,and I live near by sorta close to and kinda with several native tribes, they dont have a use for it so they dont grow it..
But I Do...
And can anyone tell me which page the Asian strains are at in this thread >>

Madjag

Veteran
My Girls from South East Asia,,,way south ,,not really east and not really Asia but hey who the hell am I to question such things..
Where I live is a few steps beyond even the province, In fact I live in a Nat Geo special on a small Island deep deeeeeeep in south WESTERN Visayas,Picture the Island from the movie "King Kong" ,,place looks just like it, but the Monkeys here are small..The lack of weed floored me,and I live near by sorta close to and kinda with several native tribes, they dont have a use for it so they dont grow it..
But I Do...

Are you closer to Cadiz City or Bantayan?

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran

Unfortunately despite how long this thread has been up (close to a decade including when it was on OG) it still does not have an asian section.

I wrote the majority of the thread, with help on certain sections from other members. And honestly I just don't know enough about Asian, African, or Indian grass to say anything other than rudimentary info on the topic. I mostly know about central and south american varieties so that is what the thread reflects as far as available information.

I'm still of course hoping we get some very knowledgeable people who will take the time to write a summary of accurate enough information to post up on the sections we don't have. But as it stands right now I just don't know anyone.

Back at OG where this thread started there was this big thread called the "Di Wee Dalat" thread which was actually the inspiration for the original Ultimate Sativa Thread. It was a story about a Vietnam vet who flew helicopters during the war. He landed his chopper on a farm that turned out to be a French owned marijuana plantation. He had a good time with the guys and bought some weed, and thirty years after the war he actually went back, and the place was still being run by the guys son.

He got some seeds from him and brought them back to the OG community and spread them around. Some of our members here have grown the Di Wee Dalat seeds. He even got his story put in High Times. He's pretty much vanished since then as far as I know. But his thread pulled a lot of really knowledgeable people out of the wood work to share information and stories, and I wrote the RUST to try and get that same atmosphere going but about all aspects of sativa.

There was also a guy "Derrayld" who lived in Africa and would walk around from village to village collecting seeds and growing them in his back yard. He knew more about African weed than anyone I had ever talked to. Last I heard he had got his girl friend pregnant and quit growing 7-8 years ago. Haven't talked to him since then but if he reads this I wish him the best and haven't forgot about him.

Last edited:

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Raco weren't you one of the guys who got to grow the Di Wee Dalat back in the OG days?

Here is something that soldier wrote in to "Ask Ed"

32 years ago I was a 20-year-old fresh-faced and very naive young man sent to Southeast Asia by our government. I was caught up like so many of my generation in the wide sweeping net of the last military draft of the last century, and sent to fight in Vietnam.
I became a helicopter pilot and flew all over the central highlands of Vietnam, circa 1970-71. Of all the things that I experienced, and of all the places that I visited while there, one of the most remarkable in a war of renowned remarkability, was the sight of 30-foot tall plantation-style cannabis plants in a little known province called Dalat.

Dalat is off the beaten track, nestled between two mountain ranges at an altitude of around 6000 feet above sea level. It is really only accessible from the air. (It was the birthplace of Ho Chi Minh and therefore "off limits" to the VC.) I had a distinct advantage because of my air mobility.

While there, I met the owner of the "plantation," a wonderful old French gentleman, and he was always more than kind when it came to sharing his bounty! For our part we kept him well stocked with much needed, and hard to get, staples and supplies. Without a doubt, it was the most remarkable "herb" I've ever experienced, and these past 32 years I've never seen the equal of those "Dalat 100's!"

A fellow compatriot and veteran recently re-visited the very same plantation, and much to his surprise, found the heirs of our old friend carrying on the generations-old "family tradition." The stories he tells of wandering for hours, through row after row of "trees the size of fence posts, with buds as big as a big man's leg" are truly amazing. But that's another story, for another time.

Here's my question: by a stroke of good fortune, and also because of the seeds of friendship and good Karma that we sowed over 30 years ago, my friend was able to bring back a generous lifetime supply of pure land race Sativa seeds of a variety not seen in the outside world in over 30 years!

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No..I was gifted seeds but never got to grow them
hey motaco :) ;)

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

masamaaso

Veteran
Are you closer to Cadiz City or Bantayan?

No where near either,,thats Eastern Visayas, I'm Western.thats over in the tourist zones,,,we dont get any tourists here,, we did have a crew from National Geographic here last year for about a month, it was great,, most English I've spoken in a long time, no when I say a few steps beyond the province I mean it..ya wanna get here,,,go to Palawan and take a left head south for a day or so then make a sharp turn east and yer here, small Island about 300-400 natives live here from 3 of the Palaweno tribes, the Island is protected by UNESCO a permit from the PH and the Indo govs are required to come here both are still claiming the Island and both CLAIM to be protecting the natives from outside intervention,,,Like me,, but both are only interested in the minerals and off shore oil,,the village got wiped out 2 years ago from a storm,, did either gov come running to help,,,,SURE DID but first they needed the tribal elders to sign off on mining rights and off shore rights, to which they gave both govs the finger and we rebuilt with out any help from outside

Figgured someone was gonna bust my chops on the spider mites,,,turned my back on um for a second and went Tuna fishing for a few days,,got um under control now but they did do some damage,,even here under triple canopy jungle those dam things will getcha,, not to mention the other odd ball invaders here and there,,bringing up a question to ask,,,if ya go out one morning and spot a poison frog sitting on yer bud,,,Do ya still smoke it ???

I gotta deal with cane toads that bore into potted plants go to the bottom and set up house,, poison frogs,,,gaint flying frogs that will leap onto a budding plant and bend it right to the ground,,in Dec we get invaded by 1000s of different finches who love to perch on tall whispy plants,, their light weight and dont really break any but,,what they do do is ,,poop all over my bud,, nice colorful little birds till that point. One of the worse are these 6-8 inch long green worms,,dam things will eat an entire plant in a short time if not stopped and when ya smash um the bugs guts are bright bright greens,,,Is that my weed ??? and lets not forget the local monkey population,,they play with everything and a new fresh patch of green seemed to be a play pen one day,,but out of all the things I get to deal with those dam mites are still a bitch,,I use 2 organic sprays and it works good one is Neem I make my own from the leaves of a Neem tree that grows here, I add a little lime juice to it to cut the smell,, you guys think the store bought stuff stinks,, try the fresh made stuff one time and you'll be glad to have the mild smell of the store bought.
Still wouldnt mind knowing more about the plants I grow but truth is I dont,, I do have 3 different kinds 2 are nice one is not worth a shit but makes for a nice house plant, I'd like to think Ive got some Sagada and Baguio gold but have nothing to compare it to , I did read in another post some limited info but very limited..
I can tell ya that one of the 3 has an aroma of coffee,,,sweet coffee with cream to be exact,, as it grows and after its cured it tastes like a sweet cup of coffee,it cures to a light golden color and is very soft to the touch even when fully dried,, the other cures up reddish and has a strong fruity smell and flavor as if you unwrapped a mixed fruit basket and got a wiff for the first time the plastics been removed,, both give up lifting highs that make ya want to go do something ,,even if its just sitting there watching the grass grow..
so theres another 2 centavos on the asian end..
Any one got any more to offer on PH weed ????

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Hehe, sorry bout busting your balls, the mites got on my sativas too, it still smoked fine :)

masamaaso

Veteran
Hehe, sorry bout busting your balls, the mites got on my sativas too, it still smoked fine :)

No prob there still Clackin,,,yea those mites can really do it to ya,,thats nothing,,,I left here for 2 months last year,,came back my plants looked like something out of the Adams family.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
Hey that is really neat Raco. Its cool you saved so many of those old threads from OG.

@masa

I admit I wouldn't know sagada or baguio gold from thai stick or vietnam black. But I will say that whatever you are growing looks fine.

Its not ditch weed bullshit by any means. It doesn't have the best of conditions. (Which I mean no offense by stating.) I understand completely how under-developed existence is there and that you are doing what you can with what you have. No air conditioned greenhouses or miracle grow soil suppliers on the island.

But in spite of the basic conditions, the plants appear to be yielding good quality bud. The genes you are growing seem to be of pretty high quality, and would probably look amazing grown to perfection.

Did you get the beans out of regular local bags of weed?

masamaaso

Veteran
Mataco,,Kumasta, Thanks for the cool comments,and wording it in a way that makes someone want to strive to do a better job makes an old guy feel good, and dude,,,no offence taken at all,,,I know i'm stroking the monkey trying to grow weed here, but it does grow and it does do what it supposed to do which is keep me a frame of mind that makes things Ok ,,even if there not, I've always stated ,,,weed will not make your troubles and problems go away,,,but it will make them not seem like the end of the world....

"No air conditioned greenhouses or miracle grow soil suppliers on the island",,, pardon me while I pick myself up off the floor :laughing::laughing:
Yea such things are not available,and no running down to the 7-11 for smokes and a hotdog.., i can Get just about anything I want here,,,FOR A PRICE and a long wait which Is how I gathered all my "grow gear" this area relies on the smuggeling routes for any outside items..
THIS NEXT PART IS THE PART YOU WERE ASKING FOR ,i POSTED THIS ON ANOTHER THREAD AND JACKED IT TO GO HERE,,HOPE YA DONT MIND...

OK,,,nap times over,,First of I don't know a dam thing about growing weed, In fact I live in a Nat Geo special on a small Island deep deeeeeeep in south WESTERN Visayas, and the lack of weed just floored me,and I live near by sorta close to and kinda with several native tribes, and they dont have a use for it so they dont grow it,(and dont care if I do) I came here with 2ozs of baguio brick weed I got In Olongapo (whata shit hole) paid P2000, for the first time in my life I was hoping for 2 really seedy bags.. 2 weeks after getting here i had seeds germin and was getting a sweet spot set up outside,, that was 5 years ago,,and lemme tell ya that grow really sucked bad,,I had 40 or so tall spindly bean stalks lots of big leaves some 11 finger leaves on a few that were like giants hands,and got up to 15 feet tall in a 5 gal bucket, and some that stayed kinda short.
The tall ones were a stand out dark green and mostly males the ones looking female all started batting for both teams and went hermi on me everyone of them, but all of them also had lots of buds all down the branches there were 10-12 buds on each branch and nice looking buds with a red color that smelled like fresh ground coffee,took 5 months of flowering to finish off and full of seeds but the weed was great, a nice up lift high and it kept the coffee flavor and left a little choco taste on the exhale,I keep a few going because I use it as my morning smoke,, knocks off the morning aches and pains
There were 2 different plant types when it came to the shorter ones, one got about 5 feet or so the other stayed low at about 25-28 inches, the five footer were a lighter green with fatter leaf fingers,the buds were spaced far apart whitish through out the whole term and airy, it cured up to a golden color and tasted like old school Colombian Gold(SORTA) and I loved it cause I'm an old guy and it tasted like the weed we smoked before seedless green weed hit the scene in 1972(east coast) The shortest of them all is also the best,,short stubby dark green leaves a cola bud and 6-8 short branches with a rounded bud at each end that grow from white to a reddish and cured up staying reddish/goldish,,it grows and smokes with a citrusy flavor and matures way faster than the other two, its this 3rd one i try and grow the most of the tall ones i keep at because i like the bud the 2nd i can give or take wasn't much to it, in fact it looks like a small connafer tree, it weed for sure ,,and looks like a yard ornamental used to line driveways..
This latest grow was started in late Oct when they germinated,from seed I've gotten from my grows and I've been playing with it some by nippin trimmin femin toppin, I'm thinkin I get less hermies when I top the big ones and keep um short but this is the first year of doing so ,,,so I dont really know(I do know Jack,,,,we went to the Academy together)By now I know what the plants are gonna do(most of the time) so I'm seeing what happens when I do things to um.I keep 15-20 going at all times hoping I wont run out of smoke and have just this year started cloning,,,got 15 of the smallest types cloned,, they've rooted and are alive but I dont know what to expect so I'll be putting down more seeds soon to keep the garden going..
but to make sure I answer yer only question,,,yes I got the seeds from brick weed that came from Baguio or Sagada,, but the grow your looking at was from seeds off my last grow..
Thanks again for the comments bra I'll be sure to add more to this thread as more happens..
man that took a long time,,,hope i didnt fug any of it up...:wave:

E

elmanito

Well guys I've run out of photo upload allowance and my entreaties to mods (hola Raco:wave:) has fallen on deaf ears so I can no longer contribute to this the best cannabis thread on the internet, anyway goodbye my friends, I'll leave you with a last shot of some Hazes...
View Image

Peace bushy:gday:

That's really pity we won't see any new pics again.:cry:

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
im sure if you ask another mod they will help out, seems they do it for people like you Bushweed, we will miss your pics for sure..:)

nachilloo

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well guys I've run out of photo upload allowance and my entreaties to mods (hola Raco:wave:) has fallen on deaf ears so I can no longer contribute to this the best cannabis thread on the internet, anyway goodbye my friends, I'll leave you with a last shot of some Hazes...
View Image

Peace bushy:gday:
:cry::cry::cry:i hope see you again sharing...

Status
Not open for further replies.