What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Chunk

kamyo

Veteran

I've been slightly skeptical about the authenticity of the KOS DC, although clearly not enough to stop me from buying them. Some pics, I see the resemblance, some I don't. I have no reason to doubt other than not being directly from Tom. Here's Rev's quote about DC and what he's offering.

I got these seeds originally about a decade ago from my buddy “Moonshine Man” (Jay) and he had gotten them from Tom Hill. I germinated 6 seeds, and ended up with 5 plants, 3 females and 2 males.

They certainly take forever to veg and all look nearly identical, but that doesn't preclude it from being a DC cross, I presume. Mine looks almost identical to Frostqueen's, just a couple weeks behind. Makes me wonder if the preservation run Rev made with the beans he got was enough to change things up a bit.

Tynehead Tom

These are F3 of Dr Atomic NL5 x Tom Hill Deep Chunk
Will be working to F5 while I hunt for the purest deep chunk line I can find to bring a fresh male into the mix
(Test Grower = Goodenergygrower - northern Michigan)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
I've been slightly skeptical about the authenticity of the KOS DC, although clearly not enough to stop me from buying them. Some pics, I see the resemblance, some I don't. I have no reason to doubt other than not being directly from Tom. Here's Rev's quote about DC and what he's offering.

They certainly take forever to veg and all look nearly identical, but that doesn't preclude it from being a DC cross, I presume. Mine looks almost identical to Frostqueen's, just a couple weeks behind. Makes me wonder if the preservation run Rev made with the beans he got was enough to change things up a bit.

The plant you've posted on the previous page indeed isn't looking like a typical pure Deep Chunk. Maybe the person who reproduced the line contaminated her with a other pollen source?!

frostqueen

FWIW, I agree that this may not be an 'authentic' Deep Chunk. Most Tom Hill DCs I've seen pics of have a much deeper green/purple, and are shiny/greasy looking and have a few more leaves in the tops (higher leaf to calyx ratio) than the KOS DCs do.

Definitely not saying KOS is being deceptive; you never totally know for sure when more than one person is involved in the custody chain, and this is such a case. He was totally up front about his source.

Whatever the case, these are all really consistent to each other for the most part. The smell is sweet and hashy and very uniform. One of the five females isn't at all purple, but the others are all very similar.

In a nutshell: a short fat resin-covered indica with really thick stems and dense nugs, with a mild smell. Yields will likely be average. I'm just looking for a couple keepers to use as 'pure indica' breeders, so I think these will fit that bill nicely. I have already picked two females and will reverse one and pollinate the other for some feminized DCs to explore later. I want to taste them all first, though. The m/f seeds of these I made are all nearly mature now, too.

As for these being slow in veg... hmm. Not for me. These are developing at normal speed as clones, and the damned fan leaves are so huge that they end up twice as wide as they are tall. These also all have really nice vigorous root systems.

I'll probably pull these after 8 weeks if the trichs look good as I have another project I need to get into that room asap. I will do a final grow report then and also a smoke report when I get it cured properly.

q3corn

I bet KOS's Deep Chunk F2 was an outcross to something really similar, and now they're at F2 to stabilize it. Might not have wanted to do an identical DC to GreenMan for some reason? Who knows. Gorgeous plants either way!

Tom your project really piqued my interest! I haven't picked up anything Deep Chunk for my seed stash yet...

frostqueen

I'll have a final KOS grow report posted in a day or two. I have lots of pictures. I have zero idea if they are pure DC. They are all short fat-stemmed indicas and 4 out of the 5 were purple. One had almost black calyxes. Potency varied a lot. Two were strong, two were average and one was of lower potency. All had great resin, and all were very dense.

All had a mild flavor that was earthy/spicy with sweet undertones. 4 of the 5 were pretty much a bitch to trim, with more leaves interspersed in the flowers than I am really interested in dealing with. One was okay in that regard. They seem really hungry for calcium.

These were interesting and I'll try making a few hybrids down the road at some point. None of these was really a 'final keeper' IMO. I am pretty damned spoiled, though.

q3corn

Looking forward to seeing your full review! I'm sad you didn't find a keeper, but that probably just means your current moms are that killer.

Just notice Greenman is having a sale on his Deep Chunk IBL on his site...

frostqueen

Looking forward to seeing your full review! I'm sad you didn't find a keeper, but that probably just means your current moms are that killer.

Just notice Greenman is having a sale on his Deep Chunk IBL on his site...

I definitely feel I got my money's worth. There are a lot of traits that I like. They are just not all in one plant. I think this would be a great breeder, and obviously other breeders have had success with that.

I managed to get 100 seeds from each of the 5 females for future exploration. I used two males combined for the pollen. I am a private breeder/collector, though, so please support KOS if you like my report. I will link back here, just need to process more photos.

kamyo

Veteran
Here's a KOS DC starting to pick up speed. I'm starting to wonder if this is actually Bubba x DC. Never grown that out, but after looking at some grows of it here, it looks very similar. Still short with big leaves, but not quite as broad as pure DC seems to display. Rev said he got it from Moonshineman, which eventually became Rare Dankness, who has done quite a bit of work with Bubba over the years. I believe HTC also did a Bubba Chunk, at least according to the test grow in their forum. Either way, she's a lot of fun to grow. I suppose I could email Rev and ask him.

picture.php

kamyo

Veteran
Here's the same girl about 7-ish weeks in. Looks like probably another 10 or so days, but we'll see how she does. A few others are a few weeks behind, but they're all very similar in traits.

I emailed KOS about the background and he's very adamant that it's the real deal. Obviously, it doesn't look like what we're used to seeing from Tom or Raco or any of the OG Deep Chunk guys.

I think that it's either related to KOS' selections when continuing the line, or maybe what he thought was DC from Moonshineman was maybe a cross. Either way, this plant will remain in my garden for a very long time. Not much smell, but she packs on resin as much or more than any other heavy indica I've grown.
picture.php

browntrout

Veteran
Anyone ever have an auto pop up in pure DC lines? I have some Kwik Seeds "Freak Chunk" which I'm to believe is just further inbred DC, but one pheno about 6" tall has started to flower, I let them get rootbound a little and are starting to now but other wise healthy small plants in 4" pots. About 15hrs of sunlight outdoors right now where they reside.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Does anyone have any insight regarding The Landrace Team's-Deep Chunk? I'm not doubting them, I've just never really checked their stuff out before. Have they been mentioned in this thread and I missed it? The line looks legit but no descriptions of the provenance...

EDIT: I wrote to TLT and got this response: The seeds by Tom Hill were grown by Spanish members in an old forum and one of our colleagues got hold of them and grew them out (big numbers) and we have kept them going. Several generations and quite a few of parents involved in open pollination reproduction.

acespicoli

P generation refers to the parent generation.

F1 stands for the first filial generation that was obtained on cross pollinating the parent plants.

F2 stands for the second filial generation that is obtained by self pollinating the F1 generation plants.

An inbred line, or IBL, is a variety that's been inbred for 4-6 generations.

Wonder how many generations this has been a closed loop for ?

TP-grower

Does anyone have any insight regarding The Landrace Team's-Deep Chunk? I'm not doubting them, I've just never really checked their stuff out before. Have they been mentioned in this thread and I missed it? The line looks legit but no descriptions of the provenance...

EDIT: I wrote to TLT and got this response: The seeds by Tom Hill were grown by Spanish members in an old forum and one of our colleagues got hold of them and grew them out (big numbers) and we have kept them going. Several generations and quite a few of parents involved in open pollination reproduction.
Hi,-I tink the DC (=IBL/F20+?!/ Tom Hill)from TLT/TheLandraceTeam is the same DC (aka Feak Chunk) you can buy at Kwikseeds(=The Real Seed Company/Agnus).
@Browntrout: -I grown them too (4 Sedds,2f+2 males,-about a half year ago) and all looks and smells very similar.
-Realy a slowy in grower,fast flowering ,near zero stretch in flower and a low yielder of resinus,stone hard glufball shaped buds with a sweet and bith earthy,hashy smell and taste,-realy nice quality and a nice,longlasting stone of good potency for a pure Indica,-but not as strong as you can read about!
Greetz and good luck

browntrout

Veteran
Hi,-I tink the DC (=IBL/F20+?!/ Tom Hill)from TLT/TheLandraceTeam is the same DC (aka Feak Chunk) you can buy at Kwikseeds(=The Real Seed Company/Agnus).
@Browntrout: -I grown them too (4 Sedds,2f+2 males,-about a half year ago) and all looks and smells very similar.
-Realy a slowy in grower,fast flowering ,near zero stretch in flower and a low yielder of resinus,stone hard glufball shaped buds with a sweet and bith earthy,hashy smell and taste,-realy nice quality and a nice,longlasting stone of good potency for a pure Indica,-but not as strong as you can read about!
Greetz and good luck

I grew DC from an IC member and DC from Kwik seeds, the contrast between the two was staggering. Kwik seeds is most certainly hybridized. Phenos all over the place, tall, short, auto, non auto, big buds, small buds. All lacking in smell. The IC members line was very homogenous with small variation in leaf shape/characteristics and the extent of purple coloration. Very much the real deal. There was a very nice all black/purple male with visible frost.

TP-grower

Ok,-I only ve grown this Freak Chunk (Kwik Seeds)+Monky Balls(Hazeman/-It sayd to be pure,but was realy different/-maybe hybrid with other Indica,very small stout plant and leafes.

-But all(2f+2m) was realy looking homogenus,pure Indica Shape with realy big leafes /Afganica Shape and 0% Autoflowering!?

acespicoli

Ok,-I only ve grown this Freak Chunk (Kwik Seeds)+Monky Balls(Hazeman/-It sayd to be pure,but was realy different/-maybe hybrid with other Indica,very small stout plant and leafes.

-But all(2f+2m) was realy looking homogenus,pure Indica Shape with realy big leafes /Afganica Shape and 0% Autoflowering!?

just growing the same genetics one plant under led
the other plant under hps will produce very different leaf flower results

but I have heard many people say that monkey balls are not legit DC
its a shame too cause I have a few lying around myself,,, :(
duped again...

the freak chunk should be 100% DC
I grew DC from an IC member and DC from Kwik seeds, the contrast between the two was staggering. Kwik seeds is most certainly hybridized. Phenos all over the place, tall, short, auto, non auto, big buds, small buds. All lacking in smell. The IC members line was very homogenous with small variation in leaf shape/characteristics and the extent of purple coloration. Very much the real deal. There was a very nice all black/purple male with visible frost.

im gonna take your word on it :respect:
the x18 and aunt of farouk are next on my todo list of indica bliss :plant grow: