What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How long has it been flowering. I have cloned plants that have been flowering for 6 weeks. Find a cutting near the bottom. You can expect it to take an extra week or two to root though.....

Great thread JJ!, I just popped in to see if I can get any advice.. or a health check.

These are my latest clones in 1" rockwool cubes with clonex, there are 20 Aurora Indica and 5 Hashberry, they were cut on wednesday night (25th) it's been 4 nights and today is the 5th day, they have been getting pH'd 6.4 water, I mixed up ~1/8th ml bio-bizz bloom to 500ml water and added a tiny pinch of epsom salts (Mg) then Ph'd that to 6.4 also, should I give them a little feed/mist?

The temps are stable at around 25-28C

Here is a picture to show how they looked on wednesday night..

And here is a picture of them now.

As you can probably see in the second picture, a few of the leaves are turning pure yellow just like a N def, hence me wondering if I should feed with the mix I made up earlier today, the N-P-K ratio on bio-bizz bloom is 2.0-6.0-3.5

I only remove the prop lid to mist and take a quick picture.

Should I be using this formula from now till they go into their smallest pots? they need their misting this morning, the Ph of the dribble of water in the bottom of the prop is 7.3! I just poured that out... IMO I think it's going to be best to do what I posted, anyone disagree? :joint:

PS, thx so much JJ, I would never have thought about using bloom for clones! k+ coming ur way :smile:

Last edited:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Things are looking to be coming along well. As I said earlier, you can give them a light mist of a 1/4 strength solution. I don't, but some do. They really wont take in any nitrogen until they root.

After 5 days or so you need to put something under the corner of your dome so there is a small crack letting in air. I just take a small piece of paper towel and fold it so it is about an 1/8th thick and put it in the corner of the tray so when the cover sets down there is a small bit of air. Keep your mistings light also, but keep the dome sprayed. You should have another 5 days or so, so just be patient and they will root for you. After thet root, take them out and if they droop down, put them back in and keep doing that until they are strong. Its called "hardening them off". I have a batch I cut on the 21st that should root today or in a couple days. Keep us posted....

Last edited:
Thanks again JJ, I assumed the hardening off started around the time the roots start poking out, that may explain why some of my previous cuttings main node's have gone brown and died but the rest of the plant(s) is & are fine.. i'd post a picture but the last batch are on their lights off time just now, I thought they might take some nutes via foliar feeding?

I checked this thread out earlier, what a great read! ot1's method of snipping the tap root off and 'training' the feeder roots before each pot up is an awsome tip to keep all the plants a more uniform size.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=515367&postcount=3

My prop lid has two little vents, what do you think would be best? use the vents or open it up at the join a little.. I'm thinking the humidity might escape faster if I open the vents at the top a bit?

In an ideal world I could really do with 24 of these 25 clones taking.. I can tell already this batch is going to be better than all my previous cloning shenanigans, I always keep meaning to take 50% more cuttings than what I will actually use and keep picking the best of the bunch whittling them down till I have the amount i'm after but after reading ot1's post there I think 50% extra might be over kill, it's going to be dependant on my sucsess rate now I guess.. I finally scraped the cash together for a pH meter so i'm hoping my sucsess rate is going to go through the roof compared to before! :smile:

Patience patience patience now I guess...

If you are reading this and wondering "what should I buy an ec meter or a pH meter?" go for the pH meter definately! I can't believe i've managed to plod on without one for the last 16 months with only 1 crop getting a major in 'tits up!'

I have a gut feeling now that all my previous grows could have been a good bit better had I been ph'ing from the start, i'm really looking forward to this next batch now!!

Thought i'd post a few messed up pics to show what things looked like while I tried growing in coco-coir and organic compost 50/50 no pH meter... :badday:

Possibly the worst two clones in the world..

Ot1's root pruning advice will come in super handy!

Basically I strongly believe, these plants could have been much healthier and much more uniform had I known the pH levels and ot1's tip, when I 'over' fed them during flowering (never pH adjusted) it lowered the compost pH so bad it locked loads of nutes out :pointlaug

I for one learned the hard way..

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would say the nodes that got brown and died were to wet for to long.. If the plants are left wet for to long they will rot.

The top vents will be enough to let in air. Be sure to remove the cover a couple times a day for a few minutes to air them out.

If you are growing in soil, a tbs or two of pulverised dolomite lime per gallon of soil will keep your PH stable.

2 down 23 to go :D next time i'm going to try pH 5.8 to see if it makes any difference, it's been 192 hours / 8 days since I cut them and found one with a root this morning, about 6 hours later I found another :woohoo:

It's been a phenominal difference compared to my experience with bubblers, bubblers really knocked my confidence in growing completely! vents are 3/4 open 24/7 now, misting less each time.

It's good being back on familiar turf :joint:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good job PA. They look quite perky........Hope you have as much luck with the rest....

J

JeffSpicoli

ive only had 6 clones root so far out of 20 :(

i think my problem was overwatering and maybe rotted out some of the stems...

Its been 3 weeks, and i dont think the rest are gonna pop...

oh well, i took more since then, so hopefully ill have better success in this next batch...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had a few that didnt want to root, but one showed roots yesterday at 26 days. The other two look like they wouldnt make it if they rooted anyways, so I think its time to toss them....

J

JeffSpicoli

yea two completely wilted away, so i tossed em...

the rest are still lookin pretty perky, just no roots showin...
They are outta the dome, and chillen in there little tray hole thingies..
I figure since they are able to survive being out in the open and under the light, and not wilt away, then hopefully there gonna pop some

EZlistener

dunno if this has been mentioned but i find cuts taken from lower branches root quicker than cuts taken from upper branches, i also cut out N for 1 wk before i take cuts, just my :2cents: but i think most important is not to over spray or get medium too wet, sure to get rot and die, i am well experienced in this from my earlier days, moist is fine should only need spraying once if in propagater

good thread

EZB581

JJS, I've been using 1/2gl nursery pots when transplanting from the beer cups.

Note in the pic I have two well rooted clones ready for transplanting to a larger container . I will use a 1/2 gl nursery pots. One clone is in a beer cup full of soil. The other is in a cup has been cut a 1/4 to 1/2.
The full cup leaves very little room before the roots reach the bottom of the 1/2gl nursery container. The cut down cup has a smaller root mass but more equal amount of space all around . I plan to see which produces a more full root mass thruout the bigger pot.
We have all seen a bunch of roots at the bottom of a container and less further up the root ball. What's your take on this?
Also, since using the rapid rooters per your instruction's got the time from cut to rooted clone down to 15 days or less with very little loss. It took a lot of practice & attention to details like temp & humidity but it's coming together. Not too long ago I thought I had too many rapid rooter plugs and asked you how best to store them. Well they "ALL" (100) got used in short order! Best regards

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My guess to that question would be that the roots go down, and then grow outward after they feel the bottom. Good to see you are comfortable with your cloning now.....

linksys

Id like to thank you JJ... your tutorial was very helpful with my first time cloning... and i was successful the first time... the clones rooted in 7 days... i used some small pots and Scott's seed starting mix for the medium with Rootech rooting hormone... inside of a poland spring bottle... kept the temps around 75-80... thanks again here are some pics...

G

humidity n temps did it for me
rooted a supposed hard strain wonder diesel in 9 days pure coco
placed n a dome sprayed dome when needed
my first time i was so fuckin amped
:woohoo: