What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can LED's do a pound or better per harvest?

Can LED's do a pound or better per harvest?

• No

Votes: 53 9.1%
  • Yes, 250 watts

Votes: 40 6.8%
  • Yes, 400 watts

Votes: 134 22.9%
  • Yes, 600 watts

Votes: 212 36.2%
  • Yes, 1K and up

Votes: 146 25.0%

• Total voters

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I have two of the WEX-C150's, one of which I am using to grow peppers/veggies. I will be putting it to work for real as soon as I am able to grow again.

In the meantime, the LEDs Mr. X uses are intriguing... no fans, just heat sinks

picture.php

foaf

Veteran
a pound is a pound, a led pound is just 8-9 times more money, makes no sense, its like having a hps with a gold reflector.
include the ballast and reflector and replacing the bulb maybe 3 or 4 times to really compare the price. also, there is probably less heat from the led's per amount of light, so if you consider cooling costs you have to factor that in. Also, like my setup, for side lighting, I really cant use HID lighting. And if you compare LED to CFL, you have to consider changing out the CFL bulb, who knows, maybe 6 times.

And with a mixture of LED side lighting and HPS overhead, my last tree was 3 lbs. The buds near the LEDs were superior.+

And you can get pretty good mixed spectrum LEDs for about a dollar a watt now.

include the ballast and reflector and replacing the bulb maybe 3 or 4 times to really compare the price. also, there is probably less heat from the led's per amount of light, so if you consider cooling costs you have to factor that in. Also, like my setup, for side lighting, I really cant use HID lighting. And if you compare LED to CFL, you have to consider changing out the CFL bulb, who knows, maybe 6 times.

And with a mixture of LED side lighting and HPS overhead, my last tree was 3 lbs. The buds near the LEDs were superior.+

And you can get pretty good mixed spectrum LEDs for about a dollar a watt now.

its a three page thread, u cant read? i already broke down the bulb changeing fantasy u are speaking about, news flash 600-1000 hps light set ups are 300 n under brand new with digitals going for what 315$, new bulbs are what 35-50$ needed once every 6 months to a year, simple math, if u want a pound for 2000 over 300 its up to u, the lack of heat for 1700 extra dollars seems retarded to speak about over n over n over again. clfs are also garenteed for what a year, u can run a 60-80$ cfl set up verses a 400 dollar l.e.d set up and yeild the same, just facts. n if u wanted just return the bulbs at the end of the year saying they burnt out n get new ones, some people even do that, should we talk about the heat again? its great technology just the price is in need of some serious sobriety which as hids keep dropping n price and out performing it most certainly will have to embrace very soon or perish as a market.

I must say I have found that the buds from my LED grows have, on average been much frostier than HID/CFL grows. The amount of frost on the autoflower I just chopped is ridiculous and the potency is aswell, grown under LED. Not all that long ago there were people saying autoflowers would never be as potent as normal plants but I'm smoking auto right now that is destroying me nightly and isn't all that bad on the tastebuds either. I've had my fair share of bad luck with LEDs, many would have just gone back to HID after the shit I've been through but the upsides to LEDs are too many for me to give up on them and it's paying off, I'm definitely going to grab a couple of Lumigrows mid next year. There's also less effort with LEDs I've found due to the ease of cooling. Induction is next on the agenda. LED+Induction lighting... would love to see the results

cyat

Veteran
so a 330 watt led can go up against an hps of equal watts, not against a 1k or a six. In other words you are still producing a gram a watt at best ( which is good just not a savings in energy) someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this shows that all the advertising hype from every led company is bullshit!

smokefrogg

Veteran
^^^ you gotta' factor in the extra cooling/ventilation costs as well though imho

my little 4" fan for my little 400 watt hps draws about 120 watts, 520 watts right there, after all, i can not run that hid lamp without also running ventilation fans. with the led i do not necessarily need ventilation fans, just a small wattage fan to move air around is all that's really necessary

yeah that good ol 125 dollar colling system cost, stilll looking at what 700-1300 dollars in my pocket, ill just buy the fan n extra bulbs year n save money, led light are no more efficient via there spectrum tailored bulbs, 400 watt hps pound yeilds are all over the threads and thats not even vertical circular guys with there 1.5 gpw ratio playfeild that there on. so what do u pay for? every room needs a fan for fresh air regardless right, and leds put out heat they have too, there not that lumen to watt efficient, leds need to drop about 87 percent of the sticker and the companies will get rich over night. there great lights just impractical.

GP73LPC

Veteran
when products are new and it's leading edge technology you're gonna be paying for the research...

Mr. X apparently got 1.73 gpw with his LEDs...

btw, i haven't seen any vertical LED grows yet. my led lights could accommodate such a grow. ;)

cyat

Veteran
what im saying is 330 watts hps compares to 330 watts led, 330 watts led does not equal 1k hps. pictures look great tho!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With LED max yields would be in a SCROG or Stadium. If all you have is a LED thats what I would do

GP73LPC

Veteran
what im saying is 330 watts hps compares to 330 watts led, 330 watts led does not equal 1k hps. pictures look great tho!

there is a lot of hype from LED companies regarding how powerful their lights are. i don't disagree they over rate them.

there are however some companies that have good products and this thread proves what LED's can do. :plant grow:

cyat

Veteran
I agree but thats the only selling point for me, power savings, unless I lived somewhere hot.

GP73LPC

Veteran
yup, for an hot environment the LED makes even more sense....

foaf

Veteran
its a three page thread, u cant read?

jerk. I contributed something original, my grow that really needs some non hid lighting on the side and my setup, which is unique.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i've read of others who said they used HID and LED lights together and the plants leaned to the LED. ;)

smokefrogg

Veteran
^^^ i have hid and led in one of the tents, i haven't seen any leaning either direction so far

...lol, i have several of these 28 watt sunshine systems glowpanels, they say it surpasses a 250 watt hps, bwahahahahahaha - from the site "Providing more than four times the output of the original GlowPanel®, the GlowPanel 45® uses only 28 Watts of power and surpasses the output of a 250 Watt HPS - easily providing five square feet of coverage for your garden. "