What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smokers in the lung room

DurtyDoper1991

People smoke alot of bud and sometimes cigarettes in my lung room..unavoidable due to current living status. the lung room also pulls air for my lights so the room stays smoke free. Well right now I'm intake with a 200cfm fan into a carbon filter. I feel like I'm not pushing enough cfm with the filter. Can I take it off or is the smoke gonna fuck up my girls??

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Increase your intake to a 6" fan. I created a calculator (spreadsheet) based on known data to size an exhaust fan. I use a passive intake, as I don't smoke I vape. I no longer operate my fireplace insert during the winter, as you can smell it. My calculator didn't provide me with the data required to make a more accurate recommendation, because my calc is based on total air exchanges, not supply. I can only come up with a ball park figure of 440CFM. Keep in mind, with a 6"supply, will your 8" fan do the necessary "air changes"? An 8" fan has a capacity (in general) of 740CFM. The only other way you can cut down on losses with your current set up is, as you stated remove the carbon filter, the "others" reduce the run and bends in your set up if you can and see what happens. e.g carbon filter (I am presuming a can here) my passive intake is via a HEPA filter and run a 4" fan as an exhaust (variable speed) my tent is 3x3x6, and all is well. I only vary the speed which is normally at 1/3 (lights on) to 1/2 when my RH is too high (lights out). Hope this helps :)

goingrey

Noughties bro science suggested smoking tobacco near your plants would put them at risk catching tobacco mosaic virus. Not sure that I believe it. If anything it would be pest fumigation IMO.

And at least the carbon monoxide won't harm your plants: "Carbon monoxide does not poison plants since it is rapidly oxidised to form carbon dioxide which is used for photosynthesis." (Source: http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/HC270799/HDL/ENV/enven/vol321.htm)

Some kind of intake filter is a good idea to keep mold spores / hairs / all kinds of gross stuff out, though!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
what exactly is a lung room ? I´ve never heard of this before...?

A room with a controlled environment, that contains your tent or some type of growing enclosure. You become mother nature as the "lung room" is the environment you have created for your girls. :)

Cuddles

A room with a controlled environment, that contains your tent or some type of growing enclosure. You become mother nature as the "lung room" is the environment you have created for your girls. :)

thanks ! :)
I suppose I would always choose a room with a window of some kind myself.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
thanks ! :)
I suppose I would always choose a room with a window of some kind myself.

In a non-patronizing way my dear, depends on were you or he lives. It is out of the question here, because we are in January. My tent is dialed in, for the environment I created and everything falls witihin the reconneded growing specs and, why I don't grow from end May/mid JUne until ther end of Aug; a, I don't need to; and b, to hard to manage the fluctuating climate "the real mother nature" provides, not to mention it being cost prohibitive :)

Cuddles

In a non-patronizing way my dear, depends on were you or he lives. It is out of the question here, because we are in January. My tent is dialed in, for the environment I created and everything falls witihin the reconneded growing specs and, why I don't grow from end May/mid JUne until ther end of Aug; a, I don't need to; and b, to hard to manage the fluctuating climate "the real mother nature" provides, not to mention it being cost prohibitive :)

yes, I know - I´ve no idea how he´s living :) But a room where peoople go to smoke a lot? I smoke and I would never do it in a room which cannot be aired up afterwards. But yeah, we´d need to know more about the actual conditions.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
yes, I know - I´ve no idea how he´s living :) But a room where peoople go to smoke a lot? I smoke and I would never do it in a room which cannot be aired up afterwards. But yeah, we´d need to know more about the actual conditions.

Back when I smoked, I used the garage to do so. I never smoked in my house and never had to freeze my butt of for my addiction, nor expose anhyone else to my 2nd hand smoke. I could still smell the stinkies in the garage for up to a year after quitting. I am a woodworker and the would smelkled like an ashtray, somethign I never noticed as a smoker. My wife is not a consumer of cannabis. She totally supports my use and, I have her blessing because she has seen how it is helping medically. That being said, the slightest wiff, stuff we don't smell she detects from 10 rooms away.

Cuddles

Back when I smoked, I used the garage to do so. I never smoked in my house and never had to freeze my butt of for my addiction, nor expose anhyone else to my 2nd hand smoke. I could still smell the stinkies in the garage for up to a year after quitting. I am a woodworker and the would smelkled like an ashtray, somethign I never noticed as a smoker. My wife is not a consumer of cannabis. She totally supports my use and, I have her blessing because she has seen how it is helping medically. That being said, the slightest wiff, stuff we don't smell she detects from 10 rooms away.

yep, the smell is one of the things which annoy me the most about it. I´ve been meaning to make a more serious effort to quit but I´ve been too stressed out. MIght make it my new years resoltion , along with working out again ;)

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Personally I would get rid of the smokers before I would get rid of my carbon filter but that's because I don't want people to be able to smell what I'm growing (unless of course they're in the grow room.) That being said I've smoked both tobacco and cannabis in my lung room without problems showing up in my plants (my carbon scrubber was on the exhaust side) then again that's just one person smoking you're saying it's multiple people so that could potentially make a difference. I also saw where you said having people smoke elsewhere is not an option because of the living arrangement. Now there is some truth to the rumor that tobacco can transmit the mosaic virus like goingrey suggested but it's my understanding that it's extremely rare to the point of not being likely unless you maybe have a bunch of people chain smoking cigarettes in your lung room and even then it's probably not likely. Of course none of that addresses the issue of what is controlling the odor from your grow room? Now maybe you live in a state or a location where it's legal to grow and so you're not worried about someone smelling it and calling the cops but there is another reason to hide the smell of what you're growing...thieves. Even in places where it's legal, the less that know you are growing, the better. So I would keep the carbon filter in place and just get a more powerful fan.

DunHav`nFun

Hey DD........Welcome to the IC......First off.......Without CO2 supplementation in your grow area , you`ll need to use room air exchange twice per minute using the CO2 inherent in the air we breathe to give your plants the chance to be all they can be come harvey ........that said.....Your room`s size is 412 . 5 cu.ft . that requires at least what was mentioned above from an 8" exhaust AND intake to give 840 cfm`s per minute MINUS the static loss from the carbon scrubber attached to the exhaust fan......

I was taught looooong ago that air exchange twice per minute is the way , the truth , and the light with growin dope IF you don`t use CO2 supplements , so with your lung room being less than optimal for producing and pumpin perfect environment into and bein sucked out of your grow area , you could stop all(rather almost all) of the bullshit second hand smoke by installing a Hepa filter on your intake fan.....

That will also cut down on the cfm`s into and out of your grow area , but certain tradeoffs have to be made when optimal conditions can`t be implemented for perfect setups.....now.....How many watts are you runnin in 55 sq ft .?.....Have you got a thermometer/hygrometer montoring temps and humidity inside the room ?......Perfect or close to perfect environment actually means more than how many watts you`re shovin up your plants ass ......BTW......

50 watts per sq ft has always been the number to shoot for with HPS lighting.....LED`s are a lil different , but I still run close to that with my personal headies setup now that I`m retired.... so anyways......Thoughts to ponder....Just tryin to help from all my yrs of croppin hard .....Take care and good luck.....

Peace......DHF......:ying:.......
'

Latest posts

Latest posts