What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hippies water cooled over-haul. (iceboxes)

Hey doc, I use two 2245's from eco plus. 1 closed circuit to and from the chiller and one circuit to the manifolds. I'm using a 3HP commercial aquarium chiller from JBJ, If I need more I'll probably go with a Jandy pool chiller.

Hey waytercooled, the only Jandy units I found for sale are heat pumps for pools with a chiller option available, are those the ones you are talking about? They seem almost too good to be true, since the biggest one is rated at 131,000 BTU (which I wonder if it is the same for cooling capacity as heating) and priced at below 5,000. Have you ever ran one of these before?

Hey waytercooled, the only Jandy units I found for sale are heat pumps for pools with a chiller option available, are those the ones you are talking about? They seem almost too good to be true, since the biggest one is rated at 131,000 BTU (which I wonder if it is the same for cooling capacity as heating) and priced at below 5,000. Have you ever ran one of these before?

I have not used one. I've only called and spoken to Jandy. They can custom build any of there heaters to chill... much cheaper then other chillers I've seen.

*edit* they mentioned the cooling would be rated lower since it's easier to heat, however it was still very impressive colling BTU rating for the cost.

I have not used one. I've only called and spoken to Jandy. They can custom build any of there heaters to chill... much cheaper then other chillers I've seen.

*edit* they mentioned the cooling would be rated lower since it's easier to heat, however it was still very impressive colling BTU rating for the cost.

Thanks for the reply man. Sorry if you've answered it before, but do you have a rez connected to your chiller system? If so, how big?

Thanks for the reply man. Sorry if you've answered it before, but do you have a rez connected to your chiller system? If so, how big?

300 gallons... tried a 275 IBC tote and have since upgraded... found a couple places that sell nice slim vertical tanks. check out http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=19 I called and spoke with them... told them I wanted the smallest footprint and the height available in my space, they got me a perfect fit :)

300 gallons... tried a 275 IBC tote and have since upgraded... found a couple places that sell nice slim vertical tanks. check out http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=19 I called and spoke with them... told them I wanted the smallest footprint and the height available in my space, they got me a perfect fit :)

Cool, thanks man. BTW that Jandy AE3000 chiller is rated at 72,000-80,000 cooling capacity which is pretty damn good for the price. Hook up a few 4 fan heat exchangers and you can run 15-18k in lights.

Cool, thanks man. BTW that Jandy AE3000 chiller is rated at 72,000-80,000 cooling capacity which is pretty damn good for the price. Hook up a few 4 fan heat exchangers and you can run 15-18k in lights.

No problem. If you get it, let us know how it works out. Whatever you do, don't order your reservoir from farming4less or spraying4less. They are a joke and wasted my time.

fireman

Does anyone run the Watercool Co2 gen pro?

I was wondering what size pump is necessary to run that ting without problems?

Im in the middle of getting my 8"iceboxes and pumps now.

Right now i think i am gonna b running a 2400 amg drive for my 4 iceboxes on my 1000`s and i was thinking the 1200gph mad rive would be straight for the watercool gen pro..

If anyone knows lemme in on the secret. Thanks. Great thread by the way since not that many people are running this stuff yet.

homerq

2 things I think may help here. Utilizing what I know from a different business. 1) You should use Propolyene Glycol for your "antifreeze" mix. Propolyene Glycol is non toxic and antifreeze will kill you. Should you have a blow out, or just spill the antifreeze on your grow it will be finished. I would thin a mixture of 60/40 Water /Propolyene GLycol will work perfectly. I have used this successfully in other situations. In most cases it is Kosher too! 2) Wrap your pipes with "armaflex" tape to stop condensation. It is a thin strip of glue backed insulation in asbout a 25-30 ft roll, 7 bucks/roll. If applied at a 50% lap over rate it will shield condensation to 38 degrees. This tape can be found in the ducting section of your local home D center. That's my 2 cents , now I am going back to sleep.
Awesome job on this thread.

Does anyone run the Watercool Co2 gen pro?

I was wondering what size pump is necessary to run that ting without problems?

Im in the middle of getting my 8"iceboxes and pumps now.

Right now i think i am gonna b running a 2400 amg drive for my 4 iceboxes on my 1000`s and i was thinking the 1200gph mad rive would be straight for the watercool gen pro..

If anyone knows lemme in on the secret. Thanks. Great thread by the way since not that many people are running this stuff yet.

forget about GPH rating and make sure it has a lift (or head) rating of at least 15 ft. We don't use a pump on our hydrogen because we drain to waste, the water is fed through the well and it does fine.

fireman

forget about GPH rating and make sure it has a lift (or head) rating of at least 15 ft. We don't use a pump on our hydrogen because we drain to waste, the water is fed through the well and it does fine.

haha must be out in the boonies runnin well water. I didnt see that at first and was like dang your water bill must be a interesting site to see, then i saw the well comment. I get what your saying about the head so i`ll definitely check that out.

Right now the plan is to go with a 2400 mag drive i think has a 22ft head for my 1hp chillking hooked up to my 4 8" iceboxes on 1000`s. and i was thinking about another mag drive i think is rated at 1200gph but not sure of the head right now have to check hooked up to the new pro CO2 gen. Probably go with a 50 gal stand up res

You have any idea how to run the iceboxes through the sentinel controller?

I like the idea hydro inovations has with their controller and how it slows the fans down so i might have to get that so still trying to figure out how to get the best out of my sentinel without spending any more money.

Wow im stoned and rambling cause im still a lil nervous about trusting the ice boxes to handle my cooling this summer and hoping this chiller i got for cheap is gonna work.

anybody know what they have emergency shut off wise if the chiller isnt cooling?

thanks for the help bro, thread couldnt have come at a better time

GanjaAL

Hey watercooled and Digital... great set ups. Yea I ended up with 3 6" icebox's and going to see if that works for my application. Only running 3 1k's in a 10X14 room so hopefully I can keep temps down. I have as back up... 16800btu's worth of window units... so hopefully the room will be ok for my plants.

Thanks for all the work... I am deffinately taking notes.

toohighmf

Veteran
DH thanks for throwin up your watercooled setup. about to run a chillking, icesboxes, and a flip to a room w fresca sols. both rooms are getting the new hydroGEN controllers and burners. might try a open hood setup w a 3 ton chiller AC. I'm gonna run 16 hoods off 4 ballasts with a 4 light flip and an 8 light flip plugged into the 4. Have you seen the dust shroom yet? Im getting a few to keep the rads/hoods clean.

Ligyron

The blue line is a PITA to put on the barbed fittings since it seems to be ever so slightly smaller then the red, so if you decide to go with the insulated hose and don't care to be picture perfect run it all in the red - it'll fit better and seems to be more flexible as well.
[/QUOTE]

Dude, I think the difference in hose sizes, the red being the larger, is to create a presure drop so that water circulates in the right direction.

Anyway, thanks Hippy, Watercooled, Digital et al for posting all this great, inspiring info. You guys are my heros . . .

Dude, I think the difference in hose sizes, the red being the larger, is to create a presure drop so that water circulates in the right direction.

Anyway, thanks Hippy, Watercooled, Digital et al for posting all this great, inspiring info. You guys are my heros . . .[/quote]

No. The pressure drop should be managed on the size of the exhaust (hot or red) manifold vs the intake. The size difference on the blue hose is just enough to make it difficult to put over the 1/2" barbed fitting.

Cheers!

strydr

DH,
Love the setup. It was inspirational in getting me to set up my own water cooled setup. I'm having some issues, and was hoping you might be able to provide some insight into my problems.

First, what I have set up:
1 8 inch IB
2x 600 HPS
1/4HP chiller
30 Gal res.
1054GPH pump
6 inch Vortex (440CFM)
3/4 inch lines running the entire length, except for right @ the IB, where it reduces.

Currently, water flows from the res->pump->chiller->IB->res. At lights on, cooler temp is 68, and rises up to 80. Room temps go from 70 (lights off) to 89 (as high as I let it get, before turning off 1 of the 600's). I noticed this am, even with only 1 light on, water temp was still 77 deg.

So, questions..
Is my Chiller underperforming/undersized for this?
Do I need a larger res (I noticed you are using a smaller res than I am, and with way more IB's to cool)?
Should I reroute my water flow to keep the res colder?
Do I need a second IB in between my hoods?
Is it possible my pump is moving water too fast for the chiller to cool it?

Any other suggestions you might have? I am going to install a 12K BTU ac today, as RH is a bit high, and I really need to keep the temps in check. I'm running CO2, so 80+ is fine, I'm just worried about the fact that my chiller doesn't seem to be able to keep the water cold enough to be effective.

Anyway, thanks for any info you may have, and thanks for the inspiration!

Surrender

If you put in the AC you should be fine and it will solve the humidity and possible condensation issues with the Icebox.

To try to answer your other questions, a 1/4hp chiller is undersized for 2x600, in BTUs.

You can use best practices like isolating your ballasts, chiller and other heat sources from the production room. Insulate the warm water return line. You could get a larger reservoir and have a couple inches of spray-foam applied to insulate it. The more cold water you have the longer things will stay cold. None of those things will provide the actual BTUs of cooling you'll need to keep temps down.

Your pump size really shouldn't be a problem. With 1000gph you probably wouldn't need a 2nd Icebox either, the real bottleneck is the chiller. 2 iceboxes will just cool the 2 lights more evenly, rather than actually sucking any more heat out of the room.

I think you're on the right track with some supplemental AC cooling. That will help a lot and keeps some of the strain off your chiller.

:)