What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fitzera does things

G

Thanks brother! I'm also very keen on that cross, I tried searching to see if anyone else had grown it out but couldn't find any logs. I'll get some better pictures very soon to show their structure...the male has really impressed me! There looks to me to be alot of potential in them.

I'm gonna hop the the Amazon right now! I'd run I town to grab the thermometer but my truck is frozen solid right now. Loooooove this weather.
Lol!
I do have the temperature in the tent set to 26 on the heater but it's rages from 24-26. But the thermometer is definitely the answer to stop my guesswork.
you'll find leaf surface temp different than ambient. An exhaust fan on a thermostat controller (inkbird) dialled to leaf temps is a way to automate.

I've currently got the timer set for 18/6. I'm still going to use the phone app for today, while it won't give me proper readings, it should at least give me an idea of the difference in par for the various heights and areas.

Thanks for the link dots! And the kind words :kiss: lol

DLI on the left of the chart. I don't ramp it up towards the end of veg, I just keep it a steady 22 DLI otherwise I overgrow my veg.
In veg I average a PPFD of 375 @18/6 gives a DLI 22.
(If I need to speed veg up i run 24/0) PPFD 375 @ 24/0 gives a DLI of 32

picture.php

Fitzera

So...with this phone lux meter and a rough conversion estimate in ummol/s/m2 im ranging from 142 at the low end up to 242, but mostly falling in between. That's at about 60-65% output. At 100% output im getting readings from 210-320. Thats ranging from 36-42" from light height to plant tops. Take all that with a grain of salt...it all seems low especially when converted to dli.

When the meter comes in I'll do a proper mapping of the whole space, move things around and make a final adjustment on the output for veg. Then dial in the vpd with the leaf temps.

On a side note, 10 confirmed females. So that's alright!

Fitzera

20210210_123630.jpg

If one can do this...one can do tissue culture...no need to keep mother plants if you can produce clones from tissue culture. This is a game changer for me.

Fitzera

I've been experimenting with growing mushrooms, and then I moved onto agar plates to grow out mycelium and try isolating cultures.
These plates can be held in cold storage for long periods of time and brought out when wanting to use them. Each plate could be looked at as a mother, and each piece you cut out from that mother could be looked at as a clone. Very similar process to tissue culture. The main difference is that the agar for tissue culture also has cytokinins, auxins and b vitamins, whereas for mycelium its only agar and carbohydrates.

I never looked into tissue culture before as I thought it would be difficult and possibly expensive. I just saw lab settings and lab coats and test tubes. It just clicked in my head last night. It's quite simple and very low cost, no need to buy a kit.

I won't be doing this quite yet as I've just got too much on my plate right now to be adding more. But in the near future it will allow me to store small cuttings long term, rather than taking full clones and keeping mothers. This is ideal for my situation

Fitzera

Here is the male of Peaks Sweet Skunk x Haze, still in a 1 gallon pot.

picture.php

Here is one of the females, this is what was the short squat pheno, its about the same height now as the other two. A little less internodal space than the other pheno.

picture.php

This is one of the other pheno, I have two of these girls. A little longer internodal spacing and a little purpling to the stems whereas the other pheno is all green.

picture.php

Fitzera

See if we can get these to take. Really need to build an ez cloner, I have everything except the emitters.

Pre soaked the rooters in 1/4 strength bloom salts and dipped the clones in rooting gel. 2 Sweet Skunk x Haze males I'd like to collect pollen from, 2 LA Chocolate and 2 of the short squat pheno of SSxHaze that I'd like to reverse.

20210211_195636.jpg

Last edited:

noknees

Here is the male of Peaks Sweet Skunk x Haze, still in a 1 gallon pot.

man i love peak gear. also, your light is clearly hard enough wherever that thing was sitting.

your NGB x that PSSH would make some freaky plants & fun beans to dig through! :plant grow:

Based on the soil recipe, I really was hesitant to top dress anything and end up chasing my tail.

small pots, hard light. even the best recipe isn't magic...

Fitzera

man i love peak gear. also, your light is clearly hard enough wherever that thing was sitting.

your NGB x that PSSH would make some freaky plants & fun beans to dig through! :plant grow:

small pots, hard light. even the best recipe isn't magic...

You must be reading my mind. I'm also thinking the medicine man would make a good cross with both of those. So many possibilities!

Reactions: ost

Fitzera

So I've got the lux meter in hand. I'm very close to averaging 850 for everything where they are sitting now at 60ish% output.

But the conversion...my light is a mixture of 3000k and 5000k mainly...ive taken a guess a figured using the 4000k conversion would suit me best as an average. Am i correct in thinking this?

If so, im sitting at about 204. At full power Im looking at an average of 312. And at 75% I'm seeing an average of a 276...which is 17.88 dli. Low.

I'm going to hold the light at 75% and slowly ramp it back up to 100% and see what happens. I planned on flipping these March 1 so I need to get these accustomed to higher light as I'll be adding the hps for flower.

Half of the plants are in their final pots, the other half have 1 more up potting to go. Turns out I have 10 females and be damned I'm going to try and fit them all. If that becomes just too much I'll cull one.

As far as VPD goes, I'm sitting right around 25°C leaf temp and about 71% humidity so I need to get dialed in better. Either raise the temps or lower the humidity. Humidity will be easy to lower as it's very dry here currently.

Edit: ordered one of those inkbird humidity controllers. The surrounding area is 30-33% humidity. The tent climbs to 70+ without the humidifier. Even more humidity once the blumats are going and in fabric pots. If I was to run the exhaust fan on a timer it would be crazy stupid swings and that can't be good.

Last edited:

Fitzera

Final transplant for the bigger girls, 7gal bags.

Turned the light up and everyone looks happy still. A little more to turn it up to 100%. Blumats are set up and functioning. Also supercropped the large Medicine Man. There's only one plant left that I'd like to up pot but I want to give it a bit more time to grow into its current pot.

About 2 weeks until I flip these bitches!

picture.php

Edit: PPFD: 312 DLI: 20.22
Humidity controller will be here soon, plan is to set it between 55 and 65, leaf temps are 24.7°, giving me a value between 0.92 and 1.2 roughly.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants looking good !

Winter here too and i find the lower temps mean my grow is a bit colder and the lower soil temps make the plants struggle to get the nutes they need when under LEDS.

looking forward to seeing that line-up in flower !

VG

Fitzera

Plants looking good !

Winter here too and i find the lower temps mean my grow is a bit colder and the lower soil temps make the plants struggle to get the nutes they need when under LEDS.

looking forward to seeing that line-up in flower !

VG

Thanks VG! I feel like this veg period has been slower than some of my past winter runs, especially the mountain temple. Granted the Bodhi seeds are pretty old, I still expected them to be taller at this point leaning more towards nld. But that's OK! If all the plants were as far along as my largest Medicine Man, I'd be heading into flower now. Can't rush things, need to be patient.

The heater definitely helps, and I have the tent set up on 2 layers of moving blankets to help insulate from the concrete floor. The combination of running the light at 100% and my vpd being out of whack played a big role as well.

Very excited for flower!! I find my NGBz cross leans much more towards the gorilla zkittlez so far. Similar structure and the stem rub is quite funky, but I think the Northern berry helped strengthen the stems. But no variegation or floral notes.

I'm eager to see how these Sweet Skunk x Haze turn out. Two we're very similar to begin with, but now one of those seem to be a mixture of the two phenos, visually at least. Mike J mentioned artificial grape flavour from the Haze, but the male has an almost skunky aroma, not quite Skunk but a smell that that would accompany Skunk. The females have more of a spicy stem rub.

The Medicine Man has very solid branches, it took some extra finesse to get them to bend over. They refused to be crushed between my fingers, I had to gently work them back and forth to get them to flop without snapping them or breaking the outer skin. I expect good things from her. Also she has a very spicy stem rub, whereas the smaller one I burned has a more fruity aroma.

Not alot to say about the Mountain Temple yet other than they are very compact and alot of under growth. I havent really cleaned anything up yet, ill do that closer to the flip.

I dont recall too much about the last time I grew the LA Chocolat aside from one of them getting wind burned, which I feel steered it towards a more narrow leaf. It turned out to be fantastic smoke, she had a very unique aroma and flavour that I quite enjoyed.

Fitzera

This inkbird seems a bit wonky. Set up for 60% with humidifier kick on point 4 point below and dehumidifier set point 4 points above. But the work 1 outlet (humidifier) wouldn't shut off no matter the setting. Tried to turn the unit off by their instructions (pressing all 3 buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds) and rather than shut off, the work 1 outlet finally turned off. Hmm

Just calibrating it now with sodium chloride and noticed it's properly operating at my set points. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Edit: were fucking automated now! Inkbird is calibrated and working correctly. Just need to keep the humidifier full, the reservoir full and purge the water line once a week. Now what the fuck am I going to do with my time.

Last edited:

Fitzera

I expect the sativas to stretch quite a bit, and the big medicine man is pretty large now so I decided to set up for flowering today. Basically a test run to make sure temps and humidity stay where I want them. So far so good. Timers set. Go time!

I'm going to bust out the light meter tomorrow and see where we are at now. I've got the hps set pretty high right now and have the cobs set for the outskirts. Still need to clean up the lowers.

picture.php

Fitzera

Top right in that picture. I supper cropped the tops about 6" to keep it manageable. Who knows what she will do, I've read sometimes the sativa side kicks in in flower and they rocket for the sky. I'm prepared for whatever happens!

I guess the top left is medicine man too...but I fucked her up early on and she just hasn't recovered fully. It's OK though, it'll still give something!

Latest posts

Latest posts