What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Klompen's evolving chaos - 2020 style

Klompen

Things are progressing nicely so far. I have checked the trichomes by scope and they seem to be about 90% cloudy or so. The plants are really healthy and haven't slowed down a bit. The stretch has at least abated somewhat. Its fun to see how they cycle through each phase all on their own.

That middle shot is from one of the buds(Three Bears OG I think). I am really not sure how much longer they have to go, but I am hopeful they're getting into the final stretch here.

The smell at least has really gotten under control. I am impressed with how well my DIY filter works even though its just using lump charcoal from the grill. I have had this thing partially built for years and finally got it running. I have to say this is so easy every grower should consider it...

Klompen

Got 13 of my bagseed plants out to a guerilla site tonight. If my math is correct, I have about 38 more to go plant. I think this year I am going to focus all my outdoor attempts along one waterway. Its more inaccessible than I anticipated, and honestly my indoor stuff is rocking it so great that I'm really not going to need all this outdoor. Barring disaster, we should have some pretty amazing weed in like 2 weeks or less from now.

I also have some killer orange cuts I am trying to get to take. They're in little tiny coir pots filled with loose coir. I used some rooting hormone on them, but honestly I did the cutting and other things pretty sloppy. It is really more an experiment than anything because I had to give her a trim really urgently anyway. If these cuts and the air layers work out; we might have a lot of quality clones to put out somewhere. Time is running out though. We already are facing pretty serious competition from all the weeds. This time of year they're a huge mess.

Klompen

Took more cuttings for clones today since plants needed trimmed. I now have cuttings of the 3 I know are females so far, and 1 I suspect is female. I believe that I have 12 cuttings in the works thus far.

The bull-nose top on the 3 Bears OG x Tooth Decay is really fun and is also starting to show red pistils. They're all looking amazing so far. I have never had an indoor grow go this nicely. How hardy these plants are is a big plus. I have done so many no-nos on this and yet they're still doing amazingly well.

Klompen

While they still seem to have some time to go(They're on day 56 now I think); they are developing well. Minor signs of heat stress on a couple upper levels, but its been hotter than hell lately. I've had to shut off the overhead lights for an hour or two here and there because of the heat. Thankfully that's been rare at least.

Anyone have any thoughts on how much longer these likely will need? A couple weeks?

packerfan79

Veteran
While they still seem to have some time to go(They're on day 56 now I think); they are developing well. Minor signs of heat stress on a couple upper levels, but its been hotter than hell lately. I've had to shut off the overhead lights for an hour or two here and there because of the heat. Thankfully that's been rare at least.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83083&pictureid=2056077&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=83083&pictureid=2056078&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Anyone have any thoughts on how much longer these likely will need? A couple weeks?

70-75 days should be good. I would start flushing soon. The autos are really quick.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
nice grow diary, but please take some pics with lights off so we can see the real colors. you have to take them just after the lights go off. that way the flash won't bother them. maybe you have a normal light source? but even just point and shoot using a flash in the dark will show more real colors.

keep on keeping on bro.

Klompen

nice grow diary, but please take some pics with lights off so we can see the real colors. you have to take them just after the lights go off. that way the flash won't bother them. maybe you have a normal light source? but even just point and shoot using a flash in the dark will show more real colors.

keep on keeping on bro.

Thanks for stopping by :)

I did actually get some pics during a power outage the other day, but usually they are on 24/7 lighting. Its so weird how the pictures come out so blurple. The fixtures actually put out a mostly-white ligt from the human perspective, but for the camera its like its all blurples in there. I turn down the exposure, but it definitely doesn't pic up the colors right.

Klompen

Here is a shot of the chamber with the lights out a few days ago during a storm:

Also some updated shots from the 14th I think. Got some fun shots from under the canopy looking up.

Unfortunately the white COB on my 150W fixture burned out and I replaced it only to have that one burn out. Not sure why that was happening but I replaced all the wiring to them and threw a blurple in there instead. The blurples run cooler anyway it seems and the plants like it so whatever... Still just a pain in the ass to have to resolder all that.

I am really eager to try out the newest generation of these COBs. They are supposed to run cooler, not require soldering, and have awesome features like voltage and current protection, constant current drivers, and overtemp cutoffs. I'm pretty excited after seeing how well these are performing.

Klompen

Here is a shot of the tallest cola of each plant. I am so eager for this to finish. We're dangerously close to running out of what little meds we have left and the brickweed we can get is really lousy meds anyway. I believe we're on day 61 or 62 now, but I really want them to fatten up a lot. We'll see if the density and weight increases well....

Here is Three Bears OG's top. She is probably our biggest yielder, but we'll see.

Here is Three Bears OG x Toof Decay. This sucker isn't very full in the lower areas, but the tops are prominent and its a full 43 inches tall....

Here is the first of the Double Grape:

The second Double Grape:

The third Double Grape:

packerfan79

Veteran
Hey Klompen,

Keep an eye out for bud rot, and mold on those big colas. I have had a couple that had to cut out a couple spots.

Looks like you should have a good haul.

Are you going to keep moms of the photos?

I am learning with the autos, less plants is better. I ran 3 this time and they shaded each other to much. I had more larf than I would have liked.

I hope you get to harvest before you have to resort to smoking brick. Although for many years I smoked Mexican weed, and certainly enjoyed it. I haven't seen brick weed in a decade. I have the occasional old-timer that request it, must be a sentimental thing.

Klompen

Thanks. I will definitely do that! I haven't had a fan on these girls basically the entire time they've been growing. My next cabinet is going to fix a lot of issues with this current grow. I am really happy with how a lot of this is turning out and certainly would be content if every run went this well, but I'm not the sort to leave well enough alone. The stealth of this current cabinet is horrible. My next one will be shallower and wider so that we usually only have one plant deep unless we end up with too many females. In a few days I should have a new chamber that will have better ventilation, be easier to work on the plants, better odor control, better stealth, and nice even light distribution. I have some really fun ideas to try and we'll see what comes of them!

I have actually had some pretty killer brick weed in my day, but unfortunately here in the Midwest, most bricks take 2-3 years to reach us. Its been explained to me that if stuff sits in bigger markets like Florida or whatever and doesn't get sold, that surplus gets dumped on places like Iowa or the Dakotas so they can make room for new stock.

Back when I actually spent time around other humans, I used to know this guy who was a pretty big dealer. He showed me once how his gang basically keeps all the really great brick to themselves and sells the worst stuff. Years ago there used to be this dark brick with dark red pistils in it and the stuff was practically psychedelic. Its my understanding that those bricks were Mexican landrace sativas. Now all I can find these days is ultra cheap hybrid brickweed being sold at twice the price. Generally speaking the stuff is never less than 100 an ounce and its barely fit to make blunts with.

My partner and I both have health issues that really benefit from smoking, but for her in particular she has a very serious nervous system disorder that essentially doesn't exist when she has weed. We're really looking forward so eagerly to enjoying top notch meds since anything decent in this area almost unobtainable unless you know a grower.

Klompen

Well its been sure tense around here waiting for these girls to finish up. We tried to be strong yesterday, but my gf was barfing and we were both kind of falling apart like we always do when we can't smoke. So, we made the decision to take some very selective cuts from secondary buds and use a combo of leaf shake and leaf oil to found them out. Its kind of gross, but it gets us by lol.... I think the cuttings in the picture are Double Grape Auto #3 plant on the left, and 3-Bears OG x Toof Decay on the right.

Klompen

So I think they're close to day 70. Trichomes are still not even fully cloudy on a couple of them, but Double Grape Auto #2(middle back in the photos) and 3 Bears OG x Toof Decay(back right) are probably the two most finished in terms of trichs. Just further proof to me that the listed flowering time for a given strain is very rarely accurate. We've had a few days where the AC is struggling too so I think that's not helping speed them along. The smell is certainly getting strong and that definitely makes me a bit nervous. Next cabinet will have more odor control built directly into it.

I am thinking some time this next week I am going to cut the top layer down and let the next layers fatten up a bit. My suspicion about how bud finishes on autos appears to only be partially correct. Rather than the whole plant maturing relative to the very top, it seems to mature mostly relative to the tip of each branch. So the tops and the outsides of the plant are basically the most finished parts and the fluffy stuff in the middle is a bit behind it. I think Double Grape Auto #3 is maybe even going to need as much as a couple more weeks. She's going to be massively fat, but the trichomes tell me she's got a lot of growing to do still. She's also by far the most green and has been all along.

Here's a fascinating thing I found. A cat hair got resin on it and was dangling off the main cola of 3 Bears x Toof Decay and a gnat got caught and killed on the end of it like someone hung it up there by its feet or something.

Also, here's a pic of a sample from 3 Bears OG. Its 4.9G wet; not exactly the density I was hoping, but judging by the trichomes its still only about 60% cloudy so maybe it can still dense up a bit?

Klompen

Haven't updated in a few, but I have still been taking pictures! We're on day 75 or 76 and the trichomes are just now barely starting to go amber on some of them. Most of the plants have at least reached the point of being entirely cloudy.

First two pics are the 26th, then the 29th, the 30th, and then the 31st:

I have some cola shots too whenever I get them ready to upload... been feeling pretty run down lately. I haven't been smoking enough and I have just had a strange gastric illness I can't shake for a few months now anyway.

The good news at least is that the quality of the samples so far has been very good. Double Grape number 1 is fluffy and probably isn't going to yield worth a damn, but its arguably the most mature plant in there. I've probably taken near 3 ounces or so of wet weight from them in samples. So far the top buds have remained untouched though. Basically I went through and harvested most of the mid-level tops. I just want these tops to finish and they're not hurrying. We had a power outage during flower at one point though and a few other things that aren't ideal; so we may have delayed them somehow. I am too new to autos to diagnose what went wrong in that regard. Still, they're finishing at least, even if it is slow. That's still a great step forward. Now I hope its enough to last us until next harvest....

Klompen

Thanks for stopping by! Their extreme odor is concerning at this point, even with our carbon filter and even carbon filter in the AC. Hopefully we can wrap this up in a few days and get to working on the new cabinet(which will have better odor control. Part of it is built already but needs put in place.

Summer Breeze trifoliate is a female! In fact, I think I got a freakishly high number of females out of these photoperiod strains. I really didn't plan on so many girls. The new space will have a totally separate space for veg/moms. My long term plan is individual stalls that are completely sealed for light leaks and I can run either autos or photo strains in the same chambers. With LED, there's just no excuse not to give each plant its own light bath and space to grow. In my current grow, some of the more aggressive plants have really pushed the others out of the way. No more of that soon!

Oh and I also finally got a clone to root. I have been half-assing it so bad on the cloning because I had to trim plants and just sort of stuck them in some stuff I had on hand. One of them in a coir pot finally rooted, and I think a couple more are close. All of them are Summer Breeze though. I was getting wilt on every attempt and then I tried to s-methoprene(sp?) "Moquito bombs" in my spray bottle. The wilting got a lot better and seems to have finally stopped. Hopefully now I can get some clones going of Killer Orange and some of the others if they ever bother showing gender...

Klompen

Things have been pretty hectic lately. The plants are probably going to receive some substantial cuts today. They're going on day 80 something now I think. We are recovering from the second intense storm in a month. This last one was basically a giant hurricane over the midwest. Plants were without power for nearly 4 days. We're pretty exhausted here, but everyone is ok. More updates to come

Klompen

Sorry about the diary dropping off to anyone following. After we got hit with a series of bad storms including what was basically an inland hurricane; we have been pretty busy putting our property and lives together again.

The grow suffered two power outages; the first being around 24 hours and the next being a full 4 days. I think it messed with their maturing, but I also think this blurple light has limitations. All things considered, we got roughly a pound out of it. I will do a quick plant-by-plant review here, but please keep in mind that many factors went wrong and I wouldn't consider this absolute about these genetics.

1) Mephisto - Double Grape Auto #1: This plant turned out leafy and not particularly potent. Pleasant high, but perhaps a bit generic. Very low yield overall on this one, maybe coming in around 2oz, but very leafy.

2) Mephisto - Double Grape Auto #2: This plant was my favorite out of the DGAs. It had an ok yield at around 3oz, and the quality of the bud was the best structurally, in terms of flavor, and in terms of high. Its very close with #3 overall, but its my favorite of the DGA overall.

3) Mephisto - Double Grape Auto #3: This plant was very leafy, but also coated heavily in trichomes. It was definitely one of the biggest yielders in there, but the bud lacks flavor.

4) Mephisto - Three Bears OG: This plant matured nicely up until the first power outage, but stopped bulking up after that. It has a fairly generic high and basically has no flavor worth mentioning. Makes good filler for the tastier stuff to go with.

5) Mephisto - Three Bears OG X Toof Decay: This plant is the clear favorite of this grow. The structure of this plant was really better for outside, but despite that it wins easily in flavor, potency, and quality of high. It grew very tall, it grew tight buds, and generally did a great job. You immediately know if the jar of this stuff is opened in a room. It has a sort of skunky-hashy-fruity flavor mix that is really great. I don't know if I want to do this specific one again inside, but this strain may become a critical part of my outdoor work.

When I have more time and am not so exhausted I will get more pictures, but for now enjoy these:

The two shots of that cola there are the very top of TB-OGxToof Decay(on the back right in the group shot.

Klompen

I also have photoperiod plants in the works now. I am building a new chamber to flower them in. The plan is to have 3 stalls in the cabinet so I can run autos and photoperiod strains in the same grow.

I have the following plants ready to go:

1 Summer Breeze by Swamp Boyz (unique trifoliate)
2 Killer Orange
2 Loud n' Proud
1 OJSDKB
1 J1 Hashplant
1 Black Triangle
and... one other I can't remember right now lol
*edit - it was 1 Gooey 13

Here's a couple shots of my oddball trifoliate version of Summer Breeze. I am so excited about this plant. The structure on it is so strange; it basically vegetates with the same sort of structure as flowering. Most specifically, it doesn't have the normal large fan leaves at major node intersections. Instead it has tons of smaller leaves and very dense node spacing. I am so eager to flower her!

That's the latest anyway. She will be fairly tall once I flower her. I also have two clones of her nowwhich is really exciting

Here is a pic of the new chamber. I only have the framing done, but it shows the idea anyway....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts