What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FRIENDinDEED's HOUSE

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
these are the fucking bugs im dealing with right now: flatid planthoppers/Anormenis chloris/woolly aphids/plant hoppers

woolybear

Veteran
New video!

Yeah the idea is that when your plant is young with one main tap root, you prune that and it'll divide up just as if you topped your plant.

The new vid makes your space look huge! I got two closets, man I wish I had a basement.

The plants in your veg area look great. Those two can probably take over the entire flower room if they get another month :)

i would go with the set it and forget it solution as you've got experience in hydro already... especially with all those plants!

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
New video!

Yeah the idea is that when your plant is young with one main tap root, you prune that and it'll divide up just as if you topped your plant.

The new vid makes your space look huge! I got two closets, man I wish I had a basement.

The plants in your veg area look great. Those two can probably take over the entire flower room if they get another month :)

i would go with the set it and forget it solution as you've got experience in hydro already... especially with all those plants!

its actually the 3x NORTHERBERRY that are in there at the moment, I wa actually in there earlier taking cuts trying to trim it down some. I figured i'd take the cuts then trim the roots.

it really is a lot more spacious and I have better light control in keeping the light from the flower area. now when I pull the reflectors back and open the doors to the cab it creates a space that I can work in and it still be dark enough to not affect flower area.

in regard to the supplies that I have on hand and use it just makes sense. the barrels are cheap, I can get a faster turn around and more importantly the less moving/electrical parts the better

still in the process of setting things up in there now that I have a place to "settle into" so to speak but i'll save that for the nxt vid :tiphat:

Headys

Nice job!

Nice job!

Hey FriendinDeed,

New member here, but I started out with a home made system like yours when I first started years ago. I loved it, but definitely felt like the airstones and topping the buckets was a pain. It's crazy when you have to top a bucket twice in a day when they're drinking heavy.

I'm just going to kick out a few of my thoughts on what you were talking about at the end of this video.
I remember trying to flower in those 2 gallons and I felt like the roots got way to big for the 2 gallons, plus I was running more of them. So more airstones and topping of buckets. I hated that cycle, it felt like I was doing much more work. So I only ran that for one cycle then went back to 5 gallons with an extra week or two of veg time.​
I always wanted to build like a custom NTF system in the bucket with black poly tubing pumping nutrients through the buckets from a res. So if you decide on that, definitely document it. I'd love to watch.​
For your res, head to home depot and grab a 50 gallon wheeled trash can ($50). It's half the price of those 55 gallon drums and its on wheels.
Water-Filtration-System.jpg

50-Gallon-Float-Value.jpg

The way you're running, a tray would be prime for those setups. If you can find one for cheap on CL ($50), I'd make a run at it. Maybe a $150 to try the setup with a stand, res, tubing, tray. You've obviously got the skills. I only say this because it sounds like you're looking at reducing the labor time and equipment with the system you're talking about building.

If this interests you, I'm going to be posting pics of my setup here shortly. It'll be worth checking out based on the ideas your were kicking out at the end of the vid.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=288937

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Love the setup man. I've subbed. It brought me back. I loved running that type of setup.

Good luck with it all. Good vids

- HEADYs

Last edited by a moderator:

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Hey FriendinDeed,

New member here, but I started out with a home made system like yours when I first started years ago. I loved it, but definitely felt like the airstones and topping the buckets was a pain. It's crazy when you have to top a bucket twice in a day when they're drinking heavy.

I'm just going to kick out a few of my thoughts on what you were talking about at the end of this video.
I remember trying to flower in those 2 gallons and I felt like the roots got way to big for the 2 gallons, plus I was running more of them. So more airstones and topping of buckets. I hated that cycle, it felt like I was doing much more work. So I only ran that for one cycle then went back to 5 gallons with an extra week or two of veg time.​
I always wanted to build like a custom NTF system in the bucket with black poly tubing pumping nutrients through the buckets from a res. So if you decide on that, definitely document it. I'd love to watch.​
For your res, head to home depot and grab a 50 gallon wheeled trash can ($50). It's half the price of those 55 gallon drums and its on wheels.
View Image
View Image

The way you're running, a tray would be prime for those setups. If you can find one for cheap on CL ($50), I'd make a run at it. Maybe a $150 to try the setup with a stand, res, tubing, tray. You've obviously got the skills. I only say this because it sounds like you're looking at reducing the labor time and equipment with the system you're talking about building.

If this interests you, I'm going to be posting pics of my setup here shortly. It'll be worth checking out based on the ideas your were kicking out at the end of the vid.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=288937

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Love the setup man. I've subbed. It brought me back. I loved running that type of setup.

Good luck with it all. Good vids

- HEADYs

heady my man, its good to have you stop by:

I didn't go into detail because I was still mulling it over in my head but I think I have a more realistic/feasible idea and yes topping them up is the main issue that I want to tackle

my first thought was to have them all plumbed together to a controller bucket, you know you basic system nothing new, and as the plants drank the water level would automatically rise/top up via the line coming from the res/float valve/controller bucket/sites, it all sounded to iffy to me (because it sounded too easy and in order to quell my concerns I would need talk to someone with first hand experience with that particular setup)

so I rethink it, now im thinking I want to have the exact same system BUT there would be a spigot between the rez and controller bucket so that once I see that the level in the controller bucket is getting low then all I would have to do is open the inline spigot and once it tops up it would automatically close via the controller bucket, once the float valve closes automatically then I close the spigot, everything gets topped up one shot.

**roots are a concern/consideration which is why I would not let them get past the 1' mark. you know first hand that when your topping up your get a clear shot of your rootballs and the platns I have the rootballs haven even taken up a full third of the bucket, so finding a healthy midpoint to start to flower is key, ofcourse its all testing but I think a lil less than a foot is right where im gonna want to start to flower at.

**I don't mind going the airstone route because I already have more than enough of them to run all the bucket as it is. honestly when it comes to airstones/pumps I really don't like going beyond what your average 6strip can handle. I would love to do the 16 sites BUT 6 dual outputs would give me 12 sites and im honestly cool with that too (lol, don't get me wrong im going to fight and try to find a way to add those extra 4!!!)

**those 55gl drums run about $10-$20 on CL, since I know full well im taking a chance I plan to be truly meticulous and weary about what was in them. but check it out on CL there are many places that not only have the blue/black/white-clear plastic drums but they also have the IBF totes (for water collection/aquaponics), plastic pallets (if you have need or use of), steel drums, smaller drums, etc. well in my area they do anyway, hope its the same for you.

***I hear you on the trays BUT I am veeeery iffy on the whole "lone water pump" aspect of growing. once I get up to generator status (like the rest of you ballers! lol) then I could mess with those with a little more confidence. in previous vids I touched on the power outtages and watching my plants maintain "stay up" simply because they were in hydro and the roots were immersed in water; did some research and found that what happened was actually called the "kratky method" of growin' (just water and air, no airstones/floating gardens , the vids are on youtube, check it out if you don't know already but I think you do)

***I know exactly what your talking about with those trays though, and being honest you just may be right with that method since I trying my best to stay away from the 2gl veg site overall, 2moths in lieu of a flowering grow is way to long for a vegging plant to chill out. i'll more than likely use that section for keeping moms in if anything I would get another controller bucket for that side and run a 2nd line from the rez.

ive sub'ed to your thread aswell and im digging your setup for popping your seeds! I may have to get in on that and mention it in a vid for the few that are looking in and want to learn BUT only with your respectful nod to do so, since I think its an absolute necessity within the growing community im very respectful/honorable of others

Last edited by a moderator:

Headys

Oh man, you're lucky! On CL here, those barrels are all bought up. They also run about $40 on CL in Denver. I guess that just comes with so many home grows happening. Anyway, sounds like you've got a good game plan set up. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

I also worry about the single water pump system. You definitely have to keep your eye on it. I just had a friend smoked a little too much and messed up his digital timer. Those plants got dry quick and he wasn't a happy camper. Truth is though, if you're calculated like yourself, you'd be alright.

I did love how easy the DWC 5 gallons were. To kill that long veg time, I ran it pretty staggered out. You know three going in, three coming out. It was kinda of a pain for nutrient feeds. But if you have a consistent feed for flowering you can eliminate that problem.

Anyway, looking good man! Excited to see what step you take toward automation. There are plenty of options out there at your disposal!

- HEADYs
HEADYs-Shield-Logo.png

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
Oh man, you're lucky! On CL here, those barrels are all bought up. They also run about $40 on CL in Denver. I guess that just comes with so many home grows happening. Anyway, sounds like you've got a good game plan set up. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.

I also worry about the single water pump system. You definitely have to keep your eye on it. I just had a friend smoked a little too much and messed up his digital timer. Those plants got dry quick and he wasn't a happy camper. Truth is though, if you're calculated like yourself, you'd be alright.

I did love how easy the DWC 5 gallons were. To kill that long veg time, I ran it pretty staggered out. You know three going in, three coming out. It was kinda of a pain for nutrient feeds. But if you have a consistent feed for flowering you can eliminate that problem.

Anyway, looking good man! Excited to see what step you take toward automation. There are plenty of options out there at your disposal!

- HEADYs
View Image

yeah Heady, that's why I don't "claim" anything cause nothing is new under the sun imo.

ive learned to be very meticulous about what I do, it kinda goes along with that motto of "measure twice cut once" whereas for me its think 5 times and build/setup once and for good.

the first flower run was full strength GH series and everything else was lucas formula and honestly the lucas formula run was a test, just to see where things would/could faulter but to date I haven't seen any fault to it so from here on out that's what it'll be all around

flower/cuts/clones/moms everything will be lucas and because of that in seriously thinking of turning that 55gl drum in to a "nute hub" so to speak, all sections will be plumbed to it some way/shape/form but ill more thank likely throw that onto the vid so I don't forget it and for the masses (honestly it'll mainly so I don't forget it and get sidetracked or tempted by another idea)

Headys

2 Cents

2 Cents

FRIENDinDEED, nice detailed update! I see what you're getting at now with that setup. It'll be exciting to watch.

Cool vege light. What's going on with that? Looks like it was an interesting project with the wires and all.

Again, just kicking out some stuff I was thinking about watching your vid.

1.) For shorter plants with a lot of node sites, I've found hps lamps to be the best light to vege. It really gets them bushy. It'd be tight to have two rooms alternating in your spot! (No moving of the plants)

2.) Thanks for showing your root balls. I had one cycle where they looked similar to that and it was due to putting the plants in flower too early. Typically, my root balls would look like the shape of the bucket when you pulled it out and it would be almost white. I was running the Bontanicare Pro series when I ran this system. Here's a pic:
deep-water-culture-cannabis.jpg

3.) The roots you pulled out look really dark, unless you just fed them. I thought I heard you saying that you just topped it off. In my experience, this usually was due to the plant not sucking up all the nutrients I was putting into the bucket. When I hit this, they would stall out on me. It also might be just the dye from your formula and I'm totally wrong. But if it is similar to my experience, this was how I handled super dark root balls:
- First I filled up bucket with plain water.
- Then I took the root ball and dunked it a bunch of times to clean out the left over nutrients. Afterward it would look much whiter and the bucket would have most of the spent nutrients.
-Then I'd dial the nutrients back a bit for that bucket (50%-75% of normal feed). Usually it would recover quickly.

I only mention this, because this looks identical to what happened to me on my first 2 gallon bucket run. I thought I could rush them into flower and they went nutrient lock out on me. I needed like two more weeks in vege to really fill out that bucket with roots. I learned through that experience, big root balls = big yields!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Digging the vids, thanks for sharing. I think that system you're talking about building is going to be awesome for that setup.:tiphat:

Just a request for next vid: Could you show a little bit of that vege light? I wanna hear that story. Also, holding my breath for that setup, gonna be sick man! It's all a big process, thanks for sharing your progress man!

- HEADYs
HEADYs-Shield-Logo.png

Headys

FRIENDinDEED....my bad,

I just realized you were still vegeing those root balls. My bad, just disregard my comments. For some reason I thought you walked over to the flowering side.

In that case I agree 100% man. I always noticed cuttings would root out at different rates.

- HEADYs
HEADYs-Shield-Logo.png

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
FRIENDinDEED, nice detailed update! I see what you're getting at now with that setup. It'll be exciting to watch.

Cool vege light. What's going on with that? Looks like it was an interesting project with the wires and all.

Again, just kicking out some stuff I was thinking about watching your vid.

1.) For shorter plants with a lot of node sites, I've found hps lamps to be the best light to vege. It really gets them bushy. It'd be tight to have two rooms alternating in your spot! (No moving of the plants)

2.) Thanks for showing your root balls. I had one cycle where they looked similar to that and it was due to putting the plants in flower too early. Typically, my root balls would look like the shape of the bucket when you pulled it out and it would be almost white. I was running the Bontanicare Pro series when I ran this system. Here's a pic:
View Image

3.) The roots you pulled out look really dark, unless you just fed them. I thought I heard you saying that you just topped it off. In my experience, this usually was due to the plant not sucking up all the nutrients I was putting into the bucket. When I hit this, they would stall out on me. It also might be just the dye from your formula and I'm totally wrong. But if it is similar to my experience, this was how I handled super dark root balls:
- First I filled up bucket with plain water.
- Then I took the root ball and dunked it a bunch of times to clean out the left over nutrients. Afterward it would look much whiter and the bucket would have most of the spent nutrients.
-Then I'd dial the nutrients back a bit for that bucket (50%-75% of normal feed). Usually it would recover quickly.

I only mention this, because this looks identical to what happened to me on my first 2 gallon bucket run. I thought I could rush them into flower and they went nutrient lock out on me. I needed like two more weeks in vege to really fill out that bucket with roots. I learned through that experience, big root balls = big yields!

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Digging the vids, thanks for sharing. I think that system you're talking about building is going to be awesome for that setup.:tiphat:

Just a request for next vid: Could you show a little bit of that vege light? I wanna hear that story. Also, holding my breath for that setup, gonna be sick man! It's all a big process, thanks for sharing your progress man!

- HEADYs
View Image

**ive made the realization that some information that I found about the liucas formula may just be spot on. what it said was that for veg you should use a 5/10 ratio and in flower you should use the 8/16. going off of that I think im going to go back to the regular 1-1-1 for my vegging plants and the regular 8/16 ive been doing for the lowering plants. the whole 1-1-1 thing was my idea intialy cause I figured "hey im just vegging, how much would they need?" but looking at the nute situation I may just dial it back for the vegging plants to a 5/10 or even weaker since I don't have any of the GHgro left anyway.

**I see what your saying about the rootball and your experience is more than valid for what im doing and may expect going forward. I would love for my flowering plants to get rootballs that big to be honest

**the light is a combination of 4x T8's and 2x 70wattHPS. I actually go over it in one of the earlier vids but I couldn't find it right away, it doesn't matter because all I really do is go over it and not how to assemble it. I saved the wiring diagram of the 70HPS security light from honedepot I think theyre still being sold at $45 a pop and the T8 fixtures are going for $12 each, I think they are prime for vegging and maybe even for a smaller grow where someone would want a full spectrum light to flower under.

the shame of it though is that its a tad wider than the C22 cab so it cant fit under it but with one of those 5' wide metal frame shelving units it would be perfect. eventually I will be putting something like that up where the veg station is right now and use the C22 completely for storage.

a configuration I had in mind would be: top shelf would be for just cut clones, middle shelf would be for those rooted cuts to get bigger before flowering and the bottom would be for flowering plants. the only bastard to tackle would be to light proof that top section OR someone could just build it out of stock and get specifically what would be needed wiring/ventilation/light wise.

FRIENDinDEED....my bad,

I just realized you were still vegeing those root balls. My bad, just disregard my comments. For some reason I thought you walked over to the flowering side.

In that case I agree 100% man. I always noticed cuttings would root out at different rates.

- HEADYs
View Image

its all good bro, but I never disregard anything, in some way shape and form we can learn from each other and with your post I learned plenty!

EDIT: you know what man, fuck it, its my vlog, my house so ill go over it in detail. im sure someone out there can use that light, when I tell you that thing kicks it kicks, theres just enough for good penetration from that distance and that length of space that that light shines on, so next vid I got you bro!

N

newtothiscoco

**ive made the realization that some information that I found about the liucas formula may just be spot on. what it said was that for veg you should use a 5/10 ratio and in flower you should use the 8/16. going off of that I think im going to go back to the regular 1-1-1 for my vegging plants and the regular 8/16 ive been doing for the lowering plants. the whole 1-1-1 thing was my idea intialy cause I figured "hey im just vegging, how much would they need?" but looking at the nute situation I may just dial it back for the vegging plants to a 5/10 or even weaker since I don't have any of the GHgro left anyway.

hello man right now im running the lucas formula and it works great with full strength. but if you are growing in coco you would never feed 8/16 it would cause more problems for you then help. and cause lock out. but if you are in soil it would be the right way to go= clean soil not some ferterlized soil. i veg's at the scale 2-2-2 with gh 3 part and it works like a champ :) just to throw it out there its a easy way to grow and get nice results :biggrin:
go 6/9 in coco and then up abit when you see they need :) i would guess the only time they need it is mid bloom

and all is at a gallon im talking about

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
hello man right now im running the lucas formula and it works great with full strength. but if you are growing in coco you would never feed 8/16 it would cause more problems for you then help. and cause lock out. but if you are in soil it would be the right way to go= clean soil not some ferterlized soil. i veg's at the scale 2-2-2 with gh 3 part and it works like a champ :) just to throw it out there its a easy way to grow and get nice results :biggrin:
go 6/9 in coco and then up abit when you see they need :) i would guess the only time they need it is mid bloom

and all is at a gallon im talking about

looking at your post is making me think about the fact that the lucas formula is your basic 1:2/micro:bloom anyway so I may just keep it to that 1:2 per gallon vor my vegging plants or maybe even a 2:4

just finished buying some supplies so I may have a lil something setup for vid purposes and more importantly want to see/work out any bugs or kinks that may arise; only have two vegging plants anyway so I can get started on the rest of the conversion from the 6x5gl to the 16x2gl

I could be wrong but I think that ppl truly under-rate/underestimate/under-utilize these 400's

N

newtothiscoco

its all about keeping it simple :) ye im with you on that part, ppl truly underestimate 400's

woolybear

Veteran
maybe get that power strip off the floor? i saw that and immediately though safetey hazard

catching up on your vids, nice vodka bong :)

edit: got to review your earlier videos for footage of early veg growth. oh hey heres some info

weed pictures on the walls are great

Headys

its all about keeping it simple :) ye im with you on that part, ppl truly underestimate 400's

I think people overlook 400's because for a few extra dollars you can get a 600 which is much more efficient. Extra 200 watt draw but twice the output of the 400w. It's hard to complain with that.

Headys

Nice I love the tote buckets in veg. I used to run 18 gallon totes (Brown @ Home Depot $7) and saw cool results with that. For smaller plants I could fit 4 plants in one 18 gallon. Id make sure they were the same strain if I did that, because the roots get tangled. Those 5 gallon totes look real clean too, being more horizontal than buckets and all. Good idea.

Thanks for going over that light. That's bad ass. Two 70 watt vertical hps' and those t8's. solid work man. I love seeing little tricks like that. Makes me want to throw those throughout my flowering room.

For cuttting down plants. Not sure if you have a microscope to check the trichs, but that's how I decide to pull every plant. You want most of the trichs milky. When they start to amber those levels of thc are moving down.

In that clone veg area where you had the jacked up leafs, you could create a tray out of panda plastic and some duct tape so you can just pour your water on the table and the plants will drink when they want. That's the cheap way. What I typically do is rock those black cloning trays that are dirt cheap and just throw as many keg cups in there as possible. Fill up each tray with pH adjusted water, then I can get away with a few days without watering. Perfect when you leave town or just don't feel like watching the little ones.

I love your style bro. Using all the stuff you have around. I miss doing that. Stay good! :tiphat:

FRIENDinDEED

Veteran
In that clone veg area where you had the jacked up leafs, you could create a tray out of panda plastic and some duct tape so you can just pour your water on the table and the plants will drink when they want. That's the cheap way. What I typically do is rock those black cloning trays that are dirt cheap and just throw as many keg cups in there as possible. Fill up each tray with pH adjusted water, then I can get away with a few days without watering. Perfect when you leave town or just don't feel like watching the little ones.

I did want to address that in the vid but after my stint in the hospital I just wanted to hurry up, get the vid recorded and rushed it. I had that tray thought before and was gonna make a 2x4 border around the bottom, use a 3mil garbage bag as a liner, poke some holes in the cups, fill it up and let them rock out that way.

when I take cuts I like the ends/tips to be at the bottom of the cups anyway so it would just make sense, I think I would avoid those leaf problems, they would get bigger as well.

sounds like a plan man, besides the 2gl bucket setup you may just see that in the near future. I have to get the supplies to make the stand for the res anyway so i'll either have stock left over or have to buy stock just for that.

the black trays were my first idea when I was thinking of the planter bed idea but since that got scrapped I never went back to it and TBH I know the planter bed I tried didn't work out because that tray was clear plastic but all in all that top shelf where you see I keep my pipes/supplies is too short for where I want my plants to get to in height anyway