What's new

Alien Rift & GG4 in RDWC under PLC LED...

negative37dBA

Veteran
Did a rez change this am. Using Jacks 3-2-1 in my flowering for the first time. I am using the Jacks plus MKP at 2:2:2:1.2. It came out at exactly 700 ppm. So nice to see they are right on with their numbers. Jacks don't lie. They say it will get you 706 ppm. I was at 1.4 on my EC. Proper nice mix of NPK for flower as well. Boosting the K and doubling the P over the 3-2-1 formula. Just love it when a company actually delivers on what they say. Big up to Jacks!
So with no ph buffers like Advanced I need to up the ph a bit. I let my new AUTOMATED ph controller take of it for me. How nice to let something else do the work. It kicked right on when I turned it on after the rez change. Water was at 5.5-5.6. It fired up the ph up pump right away and it slowly started to rise. I have the solution diluted 75/1 so it will just move it slowly and not shock anything. Took about ten minutes and the ph hit 5.98 and the unit turned off! The exact number I told it to turn off at. Fuck yes working perfectly. It is so precise, like to precise for hydro but that is fine. The ph dropped back to 5.94 after the pump had circulated everything for a bit and that's it. No drama. PH set at perfect level and I can worry about one less thing. Love it! Real glad I built it even if it is overkill. I am not used to so much automation and it takes a bit to get used to.
Very hard to get a good shot of it...so cramped in there. Still need to tidy up wiring and the piping but it works great!
fetch?photoid=17891327.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17891327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	17891332

Working through week 5 of flower here...woot woot! Stinking up and getting full in there!
fetch?photoid=17891328.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17891328.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.0 KB ID:	17891333

One nice thing I see so far is that the GG4 from seed that I have looks very similar to the clones...that is a nice thing to see. I have hundreds of these seeds so good to know. We will see how the finished product compares in the end though.
Have a great day all, hitting the river today. Enjoy the holiday!
Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hi all. We have gotten to the end of week 5, day 35. Going along well. They are putting on weight and trichs. Things are getting white and stinky in there!! Not a lot going on right now. This is the easy part of flowering, just letting them do their thing. I am thinking that things are to thick this run. I am going to make some changes as far as density goes for the next run. I have about 200 squares in that trellis. Filling every one is to much. I am going to shoot to fill 100 of them for next run. 4 plants with about 25 heads each sounds more reasonable. Give the buds a little more room to develop and get big.
GG4 getting frosty. Day 35.
fetch?photoid=17892904.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17892904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.2 KB ID:	17892910

The smells are really building up. Hits you in the face when you open the door. Probably about halfway there! I am pretty sure these will go about 10 to 11 weeks. Running at 1.4 EC using Jacks at 2.2-2.2-2.2-1.2. The last number is the MKP. I find it very easy to mix a concentrate then use Jacks that way.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hi all. Been doing some reading and playing around with my camera. Embarrassed to admit I have had a dslr for many years and just always use the auto setting... I am seeing that it is not the best way. So reading up and experimenting. I see that there is much potential with correct lighting and a tripod...I do not have either yet...so much to learn.
A couple experimental shots at day 39. GG4.
fetch?photoid=17895711.jpg

It would be cool to measure trich head size...these seem to be good sized.
fetch?photoid=17895712.jpg

Have a great night all.
Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hi all. Keep upping the water game over here. Just almost done with the install of 2 stage pre filter before the R/O 3 stage. My well has filters on it but this will get my grow/drinking water a bit cleaner before it goes into the R/O extending its life. The R/O dumps into a storage rez then the UV filter constantly recircs it in that rez. It is fing clean!! Had to get some fittings to finish the connections. I was going to mount it all from the same bracket but I am going to use the 2. Makes it easier and gives me a bit more room.
fetch?photoid=17896100.jpg

Just need to mount the bracket and water test it. should be good to go! I use this water for drinking as well because it is so pure. I do use Prill beads to add back some minerals but thats it.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hi all. Have reached the end of week 6, day 42. Nice! Getting whiter by the day in there. Trichs are really building up. They are putting on some size as well. I have experienced a couple issues. So I have leaf tip burn and some deficiencies showing. Mainly magnesium. I upped the ec to 1.7 from 1.4 and they did not like that so got a bit of burn on the tips. then it locked out the mag so started to see yellow spotting on some older fans...dammit. At least I am pretty sure that is what happened. Did a water change last night and back down to 1.4 ec with 30 grams of added mag to the mix. Correct and continue is all I can do. I do get VERY frustrated still making mistakes 10 plus years into growing but oh well. There is a learning curve with LED and I am still figuring it out.
GG4 monocrop end week 6, day 42. You can see the leaf spotting in this shot well.
fetch?photoid=17897682.jpg

This is a close up of a bud from the GG4 from seed I have. Not bad compared the the original. You can see some tip burn and spotting here as well.
fetch?photoid=17897681.jpg

Took a sample of my water at change out last night. I am really impressed with the quality of the water I am now using. I used to pull my r/o from a sink top unit by 3 gallon bucket...what a pain in the ass. Now I have a new r/o unit with finishing filter and 2 stage pre filter. It is plumbed to a rez that has a UV sterilizer recirculating 24/7. Makes my life much easier since all I grow in is water.
Check out how clear this water is after 11 days in the epicenter...wow! Water game has been mastered here...lol
fetch?photoid=17897682.jpg

Getting closer to the end of this run. I expect them to go 10-11 weeks. Looking for some nice amber this run. I pulled a bit earlier than usual last run(day 63) and the high is lacking that hard, put you down punch. Still real nice but not as hard. There was almost no amber when I pulled this last run.
It has been another learning experience for me. Used 3 different kinds of nutrients this run...how many people do that in a single run?? Just dialing in the Jacks now and this will be my go to for quite awhile. It is very easy to use, economical and adjustable. Clean as hell and dissolves easily. Plus it gives you exactly what they say it will. When they say this mix will give you 1.4 ec that is exactly what it gives you. Nice! Using up the last of my bottles on the grow side before I go to Jacks over there as well. It is nice to get rid of some un-needed products and streamline a bit.
Veg tent is full. Put a trellis in there to keep them under control. Next round of Glue is ready to go. I am putting in 1 odd duck for the next go round. I have a plant that I grew from seed. I found the seed in a jar of what was called Sticky Gorilla 4 from Khush Kush in Wa State. They say it is GG4...NO WAY. It looks nothing like what I grow and know for sure is the real deal GG4. It has very short internodal spacing, no purple petioles and no leaf twist. I am going to throw it in with the Glues and see what it does. The bud was very good that I found the seed in and I actually believed at the time it could be GG4.. Be interesting to see what it comes out like.
Have a great day all. I am doing some day drinking today. Full Contact Haze from Elysian...hell yeah. Kicking ass in World of Tanks as well. Have worked myself up to the 26th best player in my light tank in the whole of North America...about 30 million players or so...
Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Well 3 runs into the led game and still feeling like a noob. Having issues for the 3rd straight time in flower around week 5-6. Getting spotting and some intervienal fade. It is occurring on the upper fans. Just read through the entire led nute requirements thread. Come up with a couple ideas. Increasing temperature in the room. They have been in the low 70's and although it seems strange to me to fire up my heater in the dead of summer I am going to do that. Get it closer to 80 I guess. Raise the light a bit. I am at 18" average but some buds/plants are much closer. The canopy is not very even. Up the nutes a bit. Adding a additional 1gram of Epsom per gallon to my Jacks mix. I dont know if I will be able to tell if it helps this run, I am already at day 45 but it may.
This is what I have gathered from my reading. Anyone have any other ideas? I dont want to change to much at one time. Maybe I should just raise the temps. Do one thing at a time till I see results..any thoughts? It is kind of strange to be struggling with nutes but I will figure it out.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hey, Added my heater on a enviro controller. I use Sentinel old school controllers. I have had both the the lighting and enviro for about 8 years and going strong. So now the canopy temp is around 80F. I raised the light a bit, maybe another 2-3 inches. I dimmed the light slightly, maybe 10%. I changed the nute makeup a bit. Keeping EC under 1.5 and added 1 gr of epsom per gallon to the mix. We will see what that does.
Have a good day all. Peace, negative.

Last edited:

unnamedmike

At first, great work you are doing with the plants and your setup :tree: I think... Im seeing a problem with phosphorus (purple stems, dark green leaves). If they were my plants, i would rise the temperature to 84ºF (28-29ºC) and the pH to 6.2 After adding calcium and magnesium to your osmosis water, what ec / ppm do you have? how many lumens (or whatever measure you prefer) reach the plants in the canopy?
I dont remember having read the NPK you are using, may be there is some nutritional imbalance ?
mulders-chart.jpg

negative37dBA

Veteran
At first, great work you are doing with the plants and your setup :tree: I think... Im seeing a problem with phosphorus (purple stems, dark green leaves). If they were my plants, i would rise the temperature to 84ºF (28-29ºC) and the pH to 6.2 After adding calcium and magnesium to your osmosis water, what ec / ppm do you have? how many lumens (or whatever measure you prefer) reach the plants in the canopy?
I dont remember having read the NPK you are using, may be there is some nutritional imbalance ?

I would agree completely and it has gotten worse in just the last week. I have upped the temperature as of last night but only to 80. My ph is set at 6.1 now but until a week ago I had it lower 5.9. I have not been measuring ec after cal mag in the r/o water. I have just been putting in the rec amount, 5ml per gallon. That is probably wrong of me. My mixing rez is not big enough for a full change out. I could check it with the water volume I have and that would give me a close idea. I stopped doing that when my water volume of the system got so big compared to what I used to run. I will go back to checking.
The LED that I run is diy and there is no ppfd chart but the maker of the boards says 1000 ppfd at 18". I would assume this to mean center and the edge would fall of to around 500-600 is my guess. My light engines are from Pacific Light Concepts. The photo boost strips. Real nice. 8 bar, 640 watts spine type set up.
I really appreciate the help/advice. Always nice to have another set of eyes and a diff thought process working.
I am using Jacks now but have changed from Advanced at the start to Masterblend in the middle and now Jacks...that's probably bad.
I am running Jacks at 2:2:2:1.2. The last number being MKP.
This mix with added cal mag gave me right at 1.4 -1.5 ec. How that breaks down is like this.
N 105
P 99
K 205
MG 86
Ca 95
S 112
Some other small stuff but those are the big ones.
Hope thats not to confusing.
Thanks again very much.
Have a great day. Peace, negative.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Thanks for the Wow there Member. All right. Taking all of unamedmike's advice. Have the ph controller set at 6.19. At first I thought the Ph controller was just kind of overkill...now I find it very useful and a nice piece of kit to have. I want to build a second for my Veg rez. Temp controller set at 82 with a 2 degree dead band. We will see if I can notice any differences in a few days. Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it. You words seems to coincide with what I read in the other thread about LED's and nutes.
A blast from the past. A picture from my first harvest here on IC mag. Pretty sure this was some nice ChemDawg buds.
fetch?photoid=16190720.jpg

negative37dBA

Veteran
Appreciate that. I may do that. There are quite a few charts out there for 660 watt 8 bar leds with 301b's. That is what I used to come close and with what PLC says it seems to be accurate.
On another note. I have reached out to a few companies in the past. Advanced, Botanicare and a couple others but have never even gotten so much as a response from them. Oh well. I tried again with PLC. I had to move my light while remodeling the room before this grow. I hit 3 of the 660nm reds on something...broke them totally. This was on 2 different boards. I asked them if I could get 2 strips for free for all the views I have brought the product and positive things I have honestly had to say about them.. My DIY thread has over 5k views and is a few pages long. They have not responded yet....we will see. I have this feeling.....
Man I see guys with 500 subs on youtube getting sponsors all the time...I guess I do not market myself well.
Just changed out the veg rez and thing are bushy and good. Really amped up the nutes and they are liking it. They are under 301b leds as well, just 130 watts or so though.
Have a great day all.
Peace, negative.

unnamedmike

I would agree completely and it has gotten worse in just the last week. I have upped the temperature as of last night but only to 80. My ph is set at 6.1 now but until a week ago I had it lower 5.9. I have not been measuring ec after cal mag in the r/o water. I have just been putting in the rec amount, 5ml per gallon. That is probably wrong of me. My mixing rez is not big enough for a full change out. I could check it with the water volume I have and that would give me a close idea. I stopped doing that when my water volume of the system got so big compared to what I used to run. I will go back to checking.
The LED that I run is diy and there is no ppfd chart but the maker of the boards says 1000 ppfd at 18". I would assume this to mean center and the edge would fall of to around 500-600 is my guess. My light engines are from Pacific Light Concepts. The photo boost strips. Real nice. 8 bar, 640 watts spine type set up.
I really appreciate the help/advice. Always nice to have another set of eyes and a diff thought process working.
I am using Jacks now but have changed from Advanced at the start to Masterblend in the middle and now Jacks...that's probably bad.
I am running Jacks at 2:2:2:1.2. The last number being MKP.
This mix with added cal mag gave me right at 1.4 -1.5 ec. How that breaks down is like this.
N 105
P 99
K 205
MG 86
Ca 95
S 112
Some other small stuff but those are the big ones.
Hope thats not to confusing.
Thanks again very much.
Have a great day. Peace, negative.

Im currently using the LUX app for android as lux meter (It is not the most appropriate but ... as a mite breeder I have fixed expenses :whee:)
Your npk looks a lot like mine, the only strong difference is the cal-mag ratio. From what I have read, the calcium magnesium ratio should be 2: 1 more or less, I would lower the magnesium to 40, magnesium is a phosphorus antagonist.
I use calmag the first weeks of life of the plants, I dont know if it is because of the poor quality of my substrate (salty coco) but the first weeks they ask me for more calmag. In flowering I only use A+B and Ph- (salicilic acid lately), no calmag.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Thanks for the advice there unamedmike. I will look at those numbers and see about changing the ratio. I have gotten to the end of week 7, day 49 here. Again, for the 3rd time, looking sad...it takes me about 3 times to learn it seems. They do have nice heavy coating of trichs and very nicely swollen calyxes so that is good. Feel like I have more knowledge on how to not let this happen a 4th time.
No amber or real changing in color of the trichs yet. I do expect them to push 10 weeks or so.
For better or worse here are some shots. Day 49.
fetch?photoid=17901875.jpg

fetch?photoid=17901876.jpg

Here in the right light you get to see the defs.

fetch?photoid=17901877.jpg

Have a great day all. Peace negative.

unnamedmike

There is no reason to thank, I hope it will help you. Its not easy to be a DIY guy, many parameters, many more than buying the indoor in a store, getting home and plugging in. Sometimes its difficult to be attentive to everything, and one more pair of eyes sometimes helps.
Your gg4s look like moonrocks bro, totally filled with resin.
I have already spoiled 4 consecutive harvests, I havnt smoked for months ... I hope my mistakes will give plants like yours. Keep on the good work!

What type of controller is controlling your automatic dispensers?

negative37dBA

Veteran
There is no reason to thank, I hope it will help you. Its not easy to be a DIY guy, many parameters, many more than buying the indoor in a store, getting home and plugging in. Sometimes its difficult to be attentive to everything, and one more pair of eyes sometimes helps.
Your gg4s look like moonrocks bro, totally filled with resin.
I have already spoiled 4 consecutive harvests, I havnt smoked for months ... I hope my mistakes will give plants like yours. Keep on the good work!

What type of controller is controlling your automatic dispensers?

Hey there, thanks for that. The gg4 does extremely well even if I make a boo boo or too.....the trich production keeps me coming back to her time and time again. Sorry to hear your a bit dry there...that is a bummer.
The ph controller that I am using is a American Marine pinpoint model. It has been working very well and it is extremely accurate. It reads down to the hundreth so plenty good for hydro. You set a center point, then a range you are good with . So I have mine set at 6.19 and have a .19 point range. It can go .08 above or below the set point and then it will kick on. I have watched it work and it does what it says it will. I use 20ml of acid or base to 500ml of water for the mix.
Here is the unit and pumps. I picked it up used for $75.00 from a reef tank guy.

Been doing construction all day round the house. Back is tired and I am taking a break. Have a great day all.
Peace, negative.

Last edited:

DiverDave

Hey there, thanks for that. The gg4 does extremely well even if I make a boo boo or too.....the trich production keeps me coming back to her time and time again. Sorry to hear your a bit dry there...that is a bummer.
The ph controller that I am using is a American Marine pinpoint model. It has been working very well and it is extremely accurate. It reads down to the hundreth so plenty good for hydro. You set a center point, then a range you are good with . So I have mine set at 6.19 and have a .19 point range. It can go .08 above or below the set point and then it will kick on. I have watched it work and it does what it says it will. I use 20ml of acid or base to 500ml of water for the mix.
Here is the unit and pumps. I picked it up used for $75.00 from a reef tank guy.

Been doing construction all day round the house. Back is tired and I am taking a break. Have a great day all.
Peace, negative.

Thank you for sharing.

Seems automation & off-grid can go hand in hand ;)

DD

:plant grow:

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Working through week 5 of flower here...woot woot! Stinking up and getting full in there!

The plants look very even. nice work. :good:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Thanks for that Mars Hydro Led. They were pretty even but the 1 in the front left is from seed and is a lagger. Only has 3 branches and is the smallest and slowest growing. The clones I had taken of this are gone now. Not good growth. They do however have the smell and trich coverage of the original which is sweet cause I got a bunch of those seeds.
Cruising through week 8 now and getting ready to bring down the nute numbers. and yellow them out. Started seeing some cloudy trichs just today...
Have a great day all. Just got back from a nice hike with my hounds. They are happy and tired.
Peace, negative.

Latest posts

Latest posts