This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initially not so happy with spinosad

I've been having an ongoing thrip problem since the last round and decided to try spinosad on the current babies after reading all the raves about it here. Well, my initial reaction is that I'm not too happy with it!

So I got thrip from some bs cuttings I picked up at Harborside and ended up battling them throughout my last round. I never fully got rid of them, but kept them minimized and at bay with neem.

So flash forward to this round.. Before starting I thoroughly cleaned my room & bug bombed. I got some cuttings from a friend who is growing outdoors (I'm indoors). I quarantined them for a few days and dipped them in neem before transplanting and putting the babies in my room. After a few days I notice some thrip damage starting to appear. So I give them a good soaking with neem. At the same time as all this is happening I start reading all the raves and experiences with spinosad here on ICmag. So I'm thinking I want to try it and start looking for it. I found it no problem (Orchard Rose & Flower Insect Spray).

So this morning I spray all my little girls who are in day 9 of veg. It didn't smell, have any residue, etc.. So I'm thinking "hey, this stuff might not be too bad". Then I go back into my room 2 hours later to see how they're reacting. I don't want it to fry my girls after all.. Anyway, as I'm looking over each one individually, I notice that one of the girls has white powder or residue on it in about 5 spots (it wasn't there before spraying). It kind of looks like baking soda, a powder, or maybe where the spinosad dried. After further inspection I notice that a small white spot is on a second plant. All 48 of the rest of the girls are fine. So I removed the one infected leaf off the second pant and entirely removed the first plant from my room..

When I came out and checked this stuff under a scope I clearly see that it is some sort of mold or mildew. It's not PM though, it's way whiter and chalky-er than PM. Plus the fact that it appeared in 2 hours (never seem PM do that)! Unfortunately my POS camera can't do good macros and the regular shots I took don't show anything but something white on the leaf.. so hopefully someone might have an idea of what the hell this is from my description.

Anyone have any ideas???
    ~God's green medicine is God's good medicine~

Comment

TommyTrichome - Spinosed shouldn't be leaving any residue. I suspect you either got a bad batch/brand, or possibly didn't mix it good enough. I've only used Captain Jacks Dead Bug Concentrate, and it instantly killed every thrip in sight and had zero noticeable effect on the plants.

Spinosed is awesome because it works for all the bugs that neem doesn't. I wouldn't give up using it, but I do suggest changing brands.

Comment

Originally posted by ganjaments View Post
        TommyTrichome - Spinosed shouldn't be leaving any residue. I suspect you either got a bad batch/brand, or possibly didn't mix it good enough. I've only used Captain Jacks Dead Bug Concentrate, and it instantly killed every thrip in sight and had zero noticeable effect on the plants.

Spinosed is awesome because it works for all the bugs that neem doesn't. I wouldn't give up using it, but I do suggest changing brands.
        Thanks ganjaments. I talked to a friend who also used the same brand and he didn't have anything like that.. the only thing we could think of is that maybe it was a concentration of the bacteria (spinosyn A and spinosyn D) and that it was growing on those spots..?

Anyway, it hasn't gotten any worse and isn't growing, so we'll see..

Comment

ok the monetary garden spinosad stuff...
          should you dunk or spray with that stuff?
          does it burn or harm plants?
          use the recommended ratio or?

thanks!
          Re·lent·less pursuit of the dankest flowers

IG:
          @Relentless_Genetics
          #relentlessgenetics

Comment

I sprayed undersides and tops of leaves. I didn't notice any burning, harm, or any ill effects whatsoever.

Although one spray killed every thrip in sight, I sprayed again 10 days later just in case.

Also, once done spraying, I finished off the bottle on my 3 year old Apple tree, and I haven't seen a single wormhole since.

I used the recommnded ratio. I think it was 4 tablespoons per galon or 1 tablespoon per 32oz spray bottle. You can't mix and store this stuff, so only mix as much as you need right away (e.g. mix one spray bottle at a time). Also, if you're outdoors (with access to a hose), you might want to get the hosesprayer bottle of spinosad. Hand spraying large outdoor plants would be absolute hell!

Comment

I'm pretty sold on the stuff.. One spinosad application and ALL signs of thrip have gone away! Since that one time spinosad application I've neemed a couple of times and done a couple of sulphur vapes as maintenance and everything looks great.

Comment

I'M SO GLAD TO HAVE FOUND THIS THREAD!!

I tried 2 differents products and they still there...

I have great hope in spinosad!!

Can we water the plants with a mix of water/spinosad?

Comment

im still not sure whether i have root aphids or thrips.. but i treated the gals with spinosad like 3 days ago.. what kind of intervals should i treat?
                  every 5 days, 3x total? i found a couple crawlers today and a few fliers..
                  Re·lent·less pursuit of the dankest flowers

IG:
                  @Relentless_Genetics
                  #relentlessgenetics

Comment

I would say 2 times a week!

Is thrips do "spiderweb"?

Comment

Originally posted by prophecy View Post
                      I would say 2 times a week!

Is thrips do "spiderweb"?
                      sounds like spider mites bud.

Comment

OK!! Had both...spider and thrips! Still have thrips but spider are gone! Much more easier to kill!

Comment

Originally posted by Relentless View Post
                          im still not sure whether i have root aphids or thrips.. but i treated the gals with spinosad like 3 days ago.. what kind of intervals should i treat?
                          every 5 days, 3x total? i found a couple crawlers today and a few fliers..

I apply it once a week for at least 3 weeks. I still have some. Not sure where to go from there. Probably bomb time. Spinosad seems like it works, but I'm still seeing some.
                          " So I medicate, and when my eyes are red enough, I start thinking straight and I can face the day.." - Iron Chic

"A Good Breeder is able to practice breeding in a way that allows him to improve his art. A bad breeder always blows around the market stroking his own ego, lying about his wares, & generally making people feel uncomfortable by their presence." - The Breeders Bible p.6

Chem's Guide to Making Cannabis Bushes: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=185729

Chem's Garden 2011: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4120707#post4 120707

Comment

Originally posted by Chem&M View Post
                            I apply it once a week for at least 3 weeks. I still have some. Not sure where to go from there. Probably bomb time. Spinosad seems like it works, but I'm still seeing some.
                            Are you spraying the tops AND undersides of every leaf?

Comment

Just found some Thrip larva. Ive been seeing some damage but never even looked for anything. I can be stupid and lazy alot. Dosent look like theres alot but there there. I found the same thing ganja used Capt Jacks. My blooming plants are within 2 weeks of done and they look stellar so there just gonna coast threw. And if a bug wants to crawl threw all that resin then go for it. WE WILL SMOKE YOU. haha. Vegging plants are still very small so things should go fine. I think i read to spray 1 time per week for 3 weeks? would that be correct? Ill report my results back. Thnx stoners.
                              Anything is possible as long as you dont have to do it

CFL Grow Box
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=51381

Mammoth P Microbes
                              https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330689

Comment

I discovered thrips in my garden a week ago..
                                seems like spinosad is the thing that works best,but where does one obtain it in UK??
                                I've found sellers in USA but they don't ship to UK.

anyone help???
                                # Oh the snot has caked against my pants
                                It has turned into crystal...#

Comment

Working...
                                X