What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this OK to smoke ?

PCBuds

I've got two plants growing in my backyard and some of the buds are purplish/brown.

(they are Extreme Haze regular seeds from Crop King Seeds)

I don't know if it's a strain thing or if it has something to do with me over nuting with miracle grow (which I may have done) or if it has to do with me planting them in polluted soil.
I found buried car parts and there may be oil and antifreeze etc. in the soil.

I'm wondering if they are safe to smoke?

3/4 of the buds look like this.

Should I just cut the brown buds off ?

troutman

Seed Whore
It's too early they'll get bigger.

BTW: Miracle grow isn't the best fertilizer for Cannabis. Get something better.

PCBuds

They are 6 1/2' and 5 1/2' tall.

I've got Maxi Bloom and Maxi Grow for my indoor plant but I don't want to waste it on my outdoor plant. They may very well get stolen before I harvest them.

'Boogieman'

I suspect you have a case of phytoplasma, the purple tops would have me concerned. Phytoplasma is a nasty disease that I experienced for the first time this year. This is not your typical purpling from cold temperatures but a disease transmitted by bugs. I hope you don't have it and good luck.

PCBuds

What about garden lime?

I've got 35 lbs of it. (smallest size they had)
I forgot to put it in the soil when I planted them.

I could dig down to the roots a bit then water in a few tablespoons full?

PCBuds

I suspect you have a case of phytoplasma, the purple tops would have me concerned. Phytoplasma is a nasty disease that I experienced for the first time this year. This is not your typical purpling from cold temperatures but a disease transmitted by bugs. I hope you don't have it and good luck.

Can I just snip off the infected buds?

Most of the plant looks good.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Cannabis is great at storing heavy metals in its cells(buds included)

No, it's not safe to smoke.

You can always take sample to a lab and ask for heavy metal, pesticide, and toxin report.
Maybe the lab will prove me wrong...I doubt it.

PCBuds

Cannabis is great at storing heavy metals in its cells(buds included)

No, it's not safe to smoke.

You can always take sample to a lab and ask for heavy metal, pesticide, and toxin report.
Maybe the lab will prove me wrong...I doubt it.

Okay, I'm just gonna cut off all the purple buds.

Thanks, everyone for the help.

Next year I'll plant in clean soil and space them further apart.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The cold temps causes a molybdenum?? deficiency which can cause the new growth to go purple,but I'm not sure it's that. I also agree I hope it's not Phytoplasma cause that will fuck your shit up. If you are worried about any heavy metals or anything the plants take out of the soil I also agree to get it tested is the only way to really know.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Can someone clue me in as to what the problem is? I don't see any brown. The purpling seems normal for a lot of strains. Especially cool nights.

DONT CUT THE PURPLE BUDS OFF.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Can someone clue me in as to what the problem is? I don't see any brown. The purpling seems normal for a lot of strains. Especially cool nights.

Brand new growth shouldn't be that dark purple I think, unless it's a deficiency, and it's not hitting the whole plant so it's probably not genetics? I think the thing causing people distress is the or if it has to do with me planting them in polluted soil. I found buried car parts and there may be oil and antifreeze etc. in the soil.
And a lot of people are better safe than sorry. Personally I think keep an eye on it and if really worried about the heavy metal levels get it tested.

PCBuds

Okay, I'll leave the plant alone for now even if just to study them.

I'll take more pictures tomorrow.

The "infected" buds have been the same for weeks. The problem isn't spreading.

One other thing of possible note is that I tied off both plants to pull them apart from each other and I used wire.
I may have choked off some "fluid flow" at the choke off area.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I'm 99% positive after looking at that last picture that its phytoplasma. I would cut the branch out before it spreads and take it far away.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355016

Have a look into this thread. Also look up purple disease effecting new growth to learn more about phytoplasma.

Whatever it is IMO it looks terrible and I would cull the plant at least. The fact that the plants are all in polluted soil would have me personally throwing everything out. I would then build large raised bed structures lined with some kind of plastic barrier to keep the pollution from leaching up into the raised beds. Chalk it up to a learning experience. Good luck :tiphat:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
What are your temps?

How bad is this soil?

I'm just not seeing what the problem is with these plants. Many many plants display purple.

Latest posts

Latest posts